Librium - GP Archive: Hunters Daily Journal

News from the "Galactic Post" and "The Space Merchant Reporter" and "News Control"
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Librium - GP Archive: Hunters Daily Journal

Post by Harry Krishna »

Librium Universe May be Expanding

Leading scientists in the field of cosmology have observed that our current galaxy seems to be expanding at an alarming rate. There is some thought that there is not enough mass in the universe to prevent it from drifting apart. Ultimately, they theorize that this would cause galaxies and stars to drift further apart. So the universe may be doomed to an ever increasing slide across the void, filling its farthest reaches with such small concentrations of matter that they would fail to pull on each other.
Other reserchers believe the cause is due to the ever expanding amounts of hot gasses eminating from the planets, causing the expansion, perhaps from an excess of politicians, car salesmen, lawyers and alliance leaders, spewing forth and causing the eventual heating and expansion of the universe itself.

This reporter is still trying to find his luggage, which was lost somewhere while transiting Thevian space and wonders why the hotel delivered him a crate of Nijarin Space Chickens instead of his overnight bag. Regardless of these events, it boils down to one simple question...... Which goes better with Nijarain Space Chickens, BBQ or Ranch?

Reporting from Thevian HQ...this is Twice Daley

Haiku Corner

Trade Time
Small IST parked in Fed
Waiting for sleepy hunters to drop
It's clear now....GO!

Lurking
Off cpl now
31/14 and scouts in place
PING! and you are mine.

Sudden Noobie Death Syndrome Or Just Bad Piloting?

Nijarin port authorities report a sudden surge of noobies dying either while docked in port trading or shortly after finishing trading. In one such incident, eye witnesses say that they saw a Galactic Semi pulling out of a port at an extreme rate of speed without using their stern hazzard lights and backed into a Retribution in process of docking.
Accounts of who fired the first shots vary, but apparently both pilots leaped to their firing controls shortly after the collision and a quick firefight broke out. The ensuing battle lasted all of 5 shots from the Retribution, and 4 shots from the Semi. The Retribution vaporized the Semi and a pod with a cool mural on it of a Nijarin trader "mooning" took off for Federally protected space...

When asked about the incident, the pilot of the Retribution, who declined to be named for this article, asserted "He backed his galactic garbage truck into my new Retribution! And I just got my new paint job! I was cruising into port and the next thing I knew my face was kissing the front viewscreen. My knees must have gotten jammed into my targeting and firing controls. I don't know what happened, but my face being shoved into the window like that gave me a really good view of the semi before it was toasted. I want to know who the muralist for his pod is!"

DockMaster and owner of port 1057, Gli K'Tal saw the whole thing. "Apparently both their warning sensors failed because the semi suddenly sped up while leaving the dock. I don't see how the pilot of the Retribution could have seen him due to docking control guiding him into port."

The podded pilot was found in another port shortly after the incident, and was heard to make the following comments about the incident. "I was looking at all those buttons and screens when this big red shiny button (you know, the one with the label 'Do Not Press This Button') caught my attention. Then it's all a big blur. Next thing I know, I'm aboard my pod and there is this Retribution all scratched and ..." He went on rambling for an hour or so, clearly still suffering from shock both from the explosion and the loss of his ship.

The Federal Port Authority has issued warnings to newer pilots to trade at ports one trader at a time and for safety's sake to steer clear of larger ships while trading.

Local Trader Speaks Out Against Attacking Your Own Race

Outspoken trader RazorWolf held a press conference in front of a local Frosty Comet Donut shop, where he addressed a crowd of a dozen people on the topic of racial violence. What follows is a transcript of his speech...
"Hear me, people. Now I would like to share my opinon. Though many people couldn't care less, here is my opinon on this topic. Now in the two years I have been trading among the trade routes, I have seen lots of attacks on ports and people of the same race. I am kinda tired of it. [ is handed a hot Creonti coffee ] Oh thank you very much...and if you really want to give yourself a challenge, go KILL something that is not so easy. [ takes a drink ] I say, attack more of the people you are at war with. You will make more money that way. Hey, it's about time with this... [ an Ik'Thorne pastry is delivered into his hands ] If you attack your same race, you just end up getting a bounty put on your head. But if you attack, try to pick someone that is not the same race as you, that just makes it an easy kill. That's my opinon and I am sticking to it."

Afterwards, as the crowd dispersed, RazorWolf was seen to duck inside the donut shop and order a half dozen glazed donuts to go.

Retirement Rate Reaches an All-Time High

Statistical reports coming from the Federal Employment Board indicate a new trend developing. Over the last 12 solar months, the number of aging and experienced pilots of the space lanes who are retiring has increased by 15 percent. Reasons given for retiring vary from spending time with one's family, wishing to spend one's fortune, politics, or just growing tired.
Retirement has always happened, its nothing new. While older, wizened pilots hang up thier flight suits and display thier wings on fireplace mantles, Federal recruiters are doing their best to fill the opening ranks with young, wide-eyed eager hopefuls, many of whom may have what it takes to flourish in this dangerous environment.

But lately, pilots are retiring sooner and or disappearing at an alarming rate. Many new recruits are vanishing from the space lanes right along with those old vets. The trend is alarming some researchers, who worry that if this continues, inter-galactic trade will suffer and could one day even break down completely. If this were to happen, political forecasters predict that the Federation would surely disintergrate, and without the much-needed trade going between the galaxies, many worlds would decline into poverty and desease as resources fail to arrive.

Proposals on ways to retain older pilots and acquire more new recruits have been submitted to the Federation in hopes of countering the retirement trend, but so far there has been no word what if anything the Federation plans to do about it.

Lost Escape Pod Found; Pilot Still Alive

Federal authorities retrieved an escape pod and it's lucky pilot after passing traders called in reports of seeing a lone pod floating in space some distance from Ik'Thorne Head Quarters. The Human pilot, identified as Mr.Ecks, was weak from hunger and exposure after having spent 13 days in the pod.
Officials don't know how the pod came to be sent off course. Under normal circumstances, a pod is programmed to return it's occupant to his/her own racial headquarters. This time something went wrong and the pilot was castaway into deep space.

Doctors, after examining the pilot, were amazed that he'd been able to survive as long as he did without food or water. After some questioning, Mr.Ecks revealed that the pod had been stocked with 3 Cosmo bars and a can of Nijarin nectar. Thinking he would be rescued soon, he didn't bother to ration the supplies and ate it all on the first day. So what had he done the rest of the time? Humans cannot survive without water for more than 3-4 days. Mr.Ecks further revealed that out of necessity, he had invented a urine filtration device using his left sock and the empty nectar can. By this and his own wits, he'd survived.

Mr.Ecks has been hospitalized and is under observation before being released to continue his job as a trader for a local transport company.
that which pods you makes you stronger