Librium - GP Archive: Mine Fielders Monthly

News from the "Galactic Post" and "The Space Merchant Reporter" and "News Control"
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Librium - GP Archive: Mine Fielders Monthly

Post by Harry Krishna »

Battle on the Fringe of the Universe

The outermost reaches of the Librium universe has been the site of a series of battles between two of the top alliances. It has taken days for details of the battles to reach the Galactic Post offices from that far region, but it seems that the Crusaders and The Hollow are at odds over territory.
The first incidents reported were of Crusaders ships attacking The Hollow fleets. These attacks were later reciprocated by TH and ship losses on both sides mounted as lone fighters and groups of ships dueled in space. The violence escalated when a Fleet of 14 Crusaders ships swept into the Grus galaxy where TH had settled. Most sources say the Crusaders were responding to TH invasions into Crusaders territory, but border disputes are common in these parts of the universe where law and order are as rare as a virgin bride. The Crusaders fleet made quick work of the light planetary defenses, and five TH pilots were killed when they launched to defend against the attacking fleet.

According to local reports, The Hollow did not waste any time in its response to the Crusaders agression. The next day, a large fleet of TH ships plowed thru deep Crusaders minefields in Mirardojan and attacked four of the Crusaders' most heavily defended planets. The planets were rated in the mid 20's by the Galactic Ratings Board. The maximum defense rating that the GRB gives a planet is level 70. As the planets' defenses were breached, a number of Crusaders pilots parked on the surface were killed trying to defend.

But as the TH fleet took on the largest planet in the galaxy, rated a level 26, witnesses saw a large Crusaders fleet launch from the surface of the planet, fly into a defensive formation, and attack. One TH pilot was reportedly killed as The Hollow ships retreated into the adjacent sector. A standoff then ensued. The Hollow made an attempt at the large defending fleet but lost another ship to the defenders' quick guns. As part of the TH fleet split off to make repairs, the Crusaders attempted an ill-timed attack on the remaining ships. This ended in heavy losses to both sides as seven Crusaders ships were destroyed and five of The Hollow pilots were sent home in a pod.

While the online pilots worked to reship and return, he remaining TH ships regrouped and attacked the Crusaders ships in orbit over the planet. Again heavy losses were reported, with The Hollow losing another nine ships in the attack, but they successfully destroyed the remaining 12 Crusaders ships, many of which were trade vessels. As a group of Crusaders fighters returned to the area, the TH fleet retreated. One TH pilot sought shelter on the planet but was destroyed as he found the planet still under Crusaders control. Apparently, the planet's defenses had been partially restocked while the battle raged.

Readers can rest assured that as more details come out of the war-torn region, the Galactic Post will pass them on.

Omar Residents Petition for Decency

Residents in the Omar galaxy are mad as hell and they aren't going to take it any more. The local Omar government has been receiving a large number of signed petitions seeking protection from unsavory characters lording over their neighborhoods. One young mother of three said, "This used to be such a nice place to live. Now I can't take my children to the store without having to cover their eyes to protect them from some act of sex or violence."
According to port merchants and other sources in the area, Harry Krishna and his Crusaders alliance came to the Omar galaxy in search of rich trade routes. Krishna then set himself up as a despotic ruler on a planet in the nearby Mirardojan galaxy and holds court in an elaborately built palace.

Every week he is said to throw expensive parties for his fellow Crusaders, with orgies, wild music, tons of imported food and wine, belly-dancers, and naked serving girls. Such decadence is rumored to be rampant in the area under the Crusaders control and encouraged by such libertine rascals as Piratedan and Gunslinger. It is said that entire planets devoted to the industry and pleasures of the flesh are run and operated by Crusaders members Big Chief aka Stabber and sultry LadyMidEvil.

Local officials are shocked by the shameless behavior, but are powerless to do much in the face of a fleet of heavily armed warships patrolling the area and the constant threat of violence to pilots, planets, and ports who protest. "Something must be done," reads one of the petitions recently delivered to the Omar governmental assemby. "Krishna and his Crusaders fly in the face of common decency."

More Skirmishes in Outer Galaxies

The Crusaders fended off another attack by The Hollow, showing that for now at least, they are in Mirardojan to stay. As is typical of conflicts in that distant region, details are scant but what is known is this: a fleet of The Hollow ships came into Mirardojan space and began attacking ports and planets. Several planets fell to the attacking guns of the TH fleet, but finally a large Crusaders fleet rose up from one of the planets to defend. Six destroyed TH ships were reported and witnesses say four Crusaders were killed in the conflict.
The Hollow ships left the area soon after, and the Crusaders fleet proceeded to take possession of the planets in the Mirardojan area once again. This sort of violence is becoming more frequent and local residents are fleeing for safety.

Tradelane Trash Talk

A local whisper in the Nijarin tradelanes has heard that the repeal of the Nijarin hooker tax (as reported in the previous issue of the GP) applies to members of the ruling council ONLY! Another anonymous word on the tradelanes has mysteriously come up with some background on the current Nijarin President which says that they have found undeniable proof that the current President is inbred. Inbred in what way is unclear and as yet no hard proof has been found.
Latest word on the intergalactic scene has it that someone has been passing around a photograph of the Nijarin president on the new Intergalactic Rollercoaster at its grand opening. The incriminating photograph shows a local Nijarin hooker intertwined with the president at the end of the ride. Deeper researching on this photograph has come to the conclusion that this is actually the president's mate!

At a recent dinner party, the Nijarin president was overheard saying "A hooker she may be! But I don't pay for her since we have recently repealed the hooker tax!" This comment caused much uproarious laughter amongst the upscale dinner guests.

Manton Businessman Makes Wise Choice

When local entrepreneur Martin G'tlkondu was looking into starting his own business, he had a hard choice in front of him when it came to the type of business he wanted to open. But now, looking back, he is pleased with his choice of starting a Combat Accessories franchise.
"I had narrowed it down to two choices. Either open a flower shop, or sign on with Combat Accessories as a franchisee," explained G'tlkondu. "And seeing as there's been such a military build-up out in this area recently, I couldn't have picked a better business to be in."

His shop, located in sector 1669 is one of only two Combat Accessories franchises in the entire universe. According to G'tlkondu, four major alliances visit his shop every day to purchase their mines, scouts, and combat drones. This has made G'tlkondu a very wealthy I'kThorne. "My personal income has quadrupled in the last 4 weeks," he says. "If I had gone with the flower shop, I would have to sell 478,245,000 FTD bouquets to make as much."

Combat Accessories shops are typically the scene of violence, as competing alliances attack each other's miners. G'tlkondu's shop is no exception. He's seen many ships explode right outside his store front. But the savvy shopowner has found a way to work this to his advantage. "I have a staff of rubble collectors that gather the destroyed ships, sift thru the wreckage, and salvage what they can." G'tlkondu's crew then packs the remaining ship rubble into mine casings as shrapnel to save money on mine production. There can be no doubt that G'tlkondu represents innovation in business at its best.

Regional Conflicts Escalate

There are once again reports of heavy fighting in the Grus / Mirardojan area between The Hollow and Crusaders - two of the main alliances of this game. The Hollow had initially taken a very aggressive stance against Virus infections throughout the Universe, but these activities ceased almost completely, when a Crusader fleet navigated the warp and proceeded to take out most of the Hollow strongholds.
Several casualties were reported, and since then the area has seen heavy fighting in and around both galaxies. The first Hollow counterstrike saw Mirardojan planets under heavy bombardment causing widespread terror, as sleepers caught unaware fled to safety in their escape pods.

The situation at this time seems to show Hollow slowly gaining the upper hand, helped by the fact that Virus is now denying all access to the Doriath Combat Accessories shop, while Hollow so far have succeded in keeping Crusaders from rebuilding their minefields. But the outcome is uncertain, and reports of ships destroyed in the area seem to show that Crusaders are repeatedly sending The Hollow pilots home in escape pods. Both parties seem intent on taking and keeping both galaxies all to themselves. Stay tuned for further updates...
that which pods you makes you stronger