The Strip - GP Archive: Jackpots and Losing Bets

News from the "Galactic Post" and "The Space Merchant Reporter" and "News Control"
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

The Strip - GP Archive: Jackpots and Losing Bets

Post by Harry Krishna »

Galactic Post Investigates Government Cover-up

The first of several public transmissions from the Federation Ruling Group known only as "the Admins" came through the local government channel commonly referred to as the local news. This was followed by a second announcement minutes later. Two pilots were released to rejoin society. The two, known previously only by their client numbers, Player 99 and Player 66, were identified as Shyguy pilot rank Newbie, and Ganondorf pilot rank Navigator. A third transmission came across the com with another public announcement. The client only known as Player 97 was identified as Yoshi, pilot rank Sophomore Recruit.
Upon investigation, and facing great personal hazard, I was able to gain access to their military and economic records and search their backgrounds. Player 99, aka Shyguy both of Military rank and Economic rank of ~Adept~, and Player 66, aka Ganondorf of Military rank ~Average~ with a Economic rank of ~Fledgling~. Player 97, aka Yoshi was of Military rank ~Average~ and of Economic rank ~Fledgling~.

Their files would not release more without a matching DNA security stamp, which I did not have. Puzzling that they were only a handful of the many that were released into the universe which were publicly identified, and yet there true identities hidden and masked behind the numbers. But what had caught my eye this time was a similarity between the three that I had not noticed on my previous investigations. All three had joined Nintendo Strikes Back. This alliance had quickly dominated the ranks within the first day.

Instantly it dawned on me what I may have stumbled upon -- a government conspiracy! But why the public announcement? Why the name changes? Is there something happening around us that no one can even fathom? Only time, and the Galactic Post, will tell.

The Strip

The universe is alive and awake, merchants bustle to their galactic semis and to meet with their alliances. Some out to scout the universe, some have purchased galaxy maps off the black market at a high cost.
The competition in this game is fearsome, with powerhouse alliances such as Lords of Melnibone and Crusaders returning. But then there are alliances like Reincarnation and E.P.I.C. who are full of seasoned players, but which have never played under their respective banners in the past. How shall the game play out?

While Sterling claims that his alliance will show us how the universe is to be won, some people shake their heads at his enormously large ego, while others nod in approval at this bold statement. As of now, the experience race is tight, with Reincarnation taking an early lead in the kills. But it is still early in the game, and other alliances seem to be holding back on the hunting as of now.

The only thing I know is that it will be a tough battle for first place, and that in the end there can only be one victor ( I'm quite good at stating the obvious ), who will it be? We here at GP will keep you updated as the game progresses.
GPW #4 signing out.

All Quiet in the Trade World...for now

To this trader, sitting in his tradeship at a port stop in the cold depths of WQ Human space, all seems strangely quiet. One can hear the rough talk between the port monkeys as they go about their business. The steel plating of the InterStellar Trader groans in complaint as crates of goods move in and out of its cargo holds.
But I know that the tranquil air will not last long. Soon, the hunters will have their attack cruisers all decked out and armed, and they will be patrolling the trade lanes. But for now the traders have the chance to trade and not be hunted. So brave traders trade while you can because soon you will be dodging shots, scouts, and mines from hunters. This is your friendly trader writer signing off.

Reincarnation or DejaVu?

Federal authorities are warning traders on The Strip to be on the lookout for hunting vessels from the Reincarnation alliance. This major alliance filled with seasoned veterans has leaped out of the starting gate, racking up 14 kills in the first four days of the game. Leading the way is Reincarnation leader The General Lee, with 8 personal kills.
Lee was overheard recently saying something to the effect that his alliance's name was meant to imply the comeback of that old time Death Control religion to the trade routes and planetary galaxies. Those who recall the evil empire's reign of terror shiver at the mention of it, and the Reincarnation lineup does sport some awfully familiar signatures (even though their nicks may have changed).

Most local galactic authorities are preparing their emergency response teams for any outbreak of violence in their areas. And it does bear repeating that traders working their routes need to be especially alert for heavily armed cruiser ship bearing the Reincarnation insignia.

Federation Moves to Stop Suicidal Port Raids

Though the universe is still new, over the past couple days we have seen many a player fling themselves upon port defenses and come out unvictorious.
Is it suicide? Or do they not understand that they will surely lose their ship by attacking the port?

The Federation is currently in the process of making room in their budget to fund the P.R.A.C. (Port Raid Awareness Council). This is to inform young merchants that port raiding is a serious offense against inter-galactic law, as well as being very dangerous.

P.R.A.C.'s recent studies have shown that 87.2% of port raid deaths are merchants between the ages of 16-21. "Somebody needs to inform these people about what they are doing," stated P.R.A.C. spokesperson Lal N'Kijman. "Something as small as firing the first Pulse Laser at that port can end up in ruining or taking away their entire life."
-- GSW #4
that which pods you makes you stronger