Aurora - Edition #2 - Battles Beginning

News from the "Galactic Post" and "The Space Merchant Reporter" and "News Control"
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Aurora - Edition #2 - Battles Beginning

Post by RCK »

# IRC Basics#

Some of our newer pilots may not be aware of the adventures that lay in the IRC communications network. Here you can talk to your fellow pilots. Friend or foe you are welcome to discuss any top that comes to mind. If you have questions, there is a good chance that someone in #SMR will be willing to help you get over those hurdles that every pilot must face. Below is a step by step guild to IRC. (Using the applet)

- Click on the link to the left ?IRC CHAT?
- Once this screen is loaded and you have read the rules relating to IRC usage proceed to open the applet itself by clicking on the ?CHAT? button.
- This will open a new window and you will be connected to the IRC network that SMR uses (irc.vjtd3.com)
- Once you have connected you will automatically join the channel #SMR with your in game name.
- To change your name use the /nick (without <>?s)
- To join a channel type /join # (the key is not needed unless the channel is password protected, ie: alliance channels)

That is IRC in a nutshell, stay tuned for next week when we will review installing and configuring mIRC (IRC chat client) for use with SMR.

Remove this article from Battles Beginning

# Battle for Crux#

Little Jimmy Kane was playing in the front yard when he heard the sirens go off... again.

In the past week alone, Jimmy has had to retreat to the safety of the local Federation Bomb Shelter countless times due to incessant fighting over his home galaxy, the beautiful Crux. This sort of fighting has pushed Jimmy's family and numerous others from other galaxies nearby to file an official complaint against New Dawn and Crusaders.

Jimmy's father James was quoted as saying, "We knew that this place was some prime real estate, but man oh man, we didn't expect this."

At least 3 times this week the residents of Crux, Scutum, and Cancer have had to take cover from the planetary turrets firing, and it's not looking to let up soon. When asked if this fighting was expected to end soon, an anonymous member or New Dawn stated, "Only if Crusaders finally give it up."

We shall see if that will happen.

# Road to Peace#

Ever wonder what it would be like with racial peace across the board?

Well, that is just what it looks like might happen with the Creontis this game. Currently they have peace with Nijarin, Salvene, Thevian, and Alskant.

As of the writing of this article, there were votes for Human, Ik'Thorne, and WQ Human. This would complete the peace process. It appears the only thing standing against this is the Creonti President.

There have been calls to assassinate current Creonti President George Jung who is doing everything in his power to stop the ever elusive Human peace vote from passing. Speculation as to why this is remains.

Rumors have circulated that this would make the unpopular New Dawn alliance even more unpopular, and possibly more powerful by giving their players access to Creonti ports and weapons.

Time will only tell as to how long this lasts and whether George Jung remains safe.

# Corrections#

We apologies for the inconsistency of one of our reports last week.

We reported that Legend of Death was the one that killed the Newbie Help Leader after 70k turns used.

It was in fact Deja that killed NHL and then LoD killed him later on.

Our apologies.

# GP Interview with D. Mihawk#

GP: How long have you been playing SMR?

DM: I actually found the site about two years ago but ended up too busy to play. About a year ago I remembered the game and started playing.

GP: Who would you say are your favourite people to play with?

DM: Well, fated1 is my wingman. I guess all the other guys in Rogue Squadron too. Outside RS it would have to be Baalzamon(Blackbeard) and Deckert. I don't really know any of the older players well.

GP: Tell us about Rogue Squadron.

DM: Well, after finishing a game with a training alliance, I decided to make my own alliance and fated came with. It was just one of those test alliances that beginning players like to make. Then it took off during New Boundaries and we ended up with 12 members and in 9th place. Then almost no one came back during Fungal Infection. Now we're back and growing again.

GP: So, what are your plans for RS?

DM: Confidential, naturally. ;) I will say that we're open to any and all new members as long as you are active. Our long-term goal is to build up to the level of New Dawn and Crusaders.

GP: That's all the time we have. Any ending remarks?

DM: Trade smart, hunt hard, and have fun.

# Now Accepting Applications#

Crimson Factor is a new alliance seeking fairly active veteran and newbie hunters, traders and officers.

Contact Drow Vengeance for more information.

Also wanted are NAPs and COPs.

# The Fight for Cancer#

What started off as a relatively normal day quickly escalated into a night of Pulse Lasers pounding planetary defences in the galaxy Cancer, controlled by New Dawn. Sometime early in the morning, as the sun was about to rise on the populated sectors of the planets, scanners were suddenly overloaded with reports of mine fields being cleared, Crusader ships pinging scout locations all over the galaxy and worse, the approach of a 10 ship Crusader fleet led by Trigek quickly moved thru the defensive positions in Cancer. Moving quickly and efficiently the fleet proceeded to strike planet after planet in a cohesive effort to deal some damage in retaliation to New Dawn attacking their planets in Crux.

This is not the first time the Crusader fleet has been spotted in Cancer, almost a week ago the Crusaders entered the galaxy and lay waste to everything possible. This ignited a series of busts and counter busts wreaking havoc on the local economy of the galaxies controlled by the Crusaders and New Dawn. New Dawn's retaliation was not far behind however as within 45 minutes of the last of the fleet exiting Cancer a 9 ship New Dawn fleet was spotted cleaning up mines left behind. The fleet moved towards Crusader territory and proceeded to ravage 5 Crusader planets.

There was only one pod that arised from the whole ordeal however. Jester had a near death experience towards the beginning of the bust. Is this is never ending power struggle or will one alliance claim dominance? Only time will tell but the Galactic Post will be here to report.

# Poll Results #

According to one recent census of random traders and hunters of all demographics, 60% of those polled hate New Dawn. The remaining 40% shared a hatred for Crusaders and other alliances. Congratulations to New Dawn for being the most hated!