DuPont 22 Refrigerant - GP Archive - Anybody Out There?

News from the "Galactic Post" and "The Space Merchant Reporter" and "News Control"
seldum
Beta Tester

DuPont 22 Refrigerant - GP Archive - Anybody Out There?

Post by seldum »

The Mine

By: Aleksandr Kerensky

The Mine is a self-contained explosive device placed in a sector to damage/destroy ships. Unlike Combat Drones and scouts, they are deposited and left to wait until they are triggered by the approach of or a contact with an enemy ship. Mines can be used offensively, to hamper enemy ships or lock them into or out of a galaxy; or defensively, to protect friendly ships and create "safe" zones.

There are three main uses of mines: offensive, defensive and psychological. Offensive mines are placed in enemy territory, outside warps and in important shipping routes to help pod trade and military ships. Defensive minefields protect a warp entrance from enemy ships and force them into areas that are easier to defend. Psychological minefields are usually placed in trade routes, and are used to stop trade of an enemy alliance. They are also spread out thinly (in singles or 11 stacks), to eat up turns. A single mine suddenly appearing on a trade route can stop trade for hours until the entire area is swept for an enemy ship lying in wait.

Laying a minefield is a relatively fast process with specialized ships. These minelayers can carry a hundred plus mines. The mines are dropped in predefined sectors usually on top of a single force item left by another alliance member. Each mine is recorded on the alliance or individual trader’s forces page for later clearing and refreshing.

What to do when you hit mines? When you hit mines and get the attack screen, click Current Sector to see what or who is in sector with you. Often times as you fly around in your ship, you hit a single mine left behind by a trader or hunter who was recently in the area. When you look at the current sector, there are no mines left because you just shot them or they crashed against your hull. So you can then continue on to your destination.

When you enter a sector with a large number of mines, your guns will destroy some of them, some will blow up on your ship, and the rest will be left sitting in the sector untouched. The current sector view will reveal the mines that are left and you will see your choices of exits. Back out of a mined sector the way you came in using the bright GREEN exit and you will move safely. If you try going out using a non-green exit, your ship does not move and you hit the remaining mines in the sector. This can be useful, however, because using the non-green exit "clears the way" in that direction and that exit then becomes bright green and thus safe to move toward. If your ship can withstand the damage of doing this you can pass through a mined sector in this way.

Remember: the Green exit is always the safe way out of a mined sector, and clicking a non-green exit turns that exit into the new Green exit.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Under Cover(pt3)

Day 10: I decided today my work is done. I know I still have four more days, but this is all I can do. I'll need to talk to my Leader and tell him that the work is done, and to get me back.

I learned a lot in these past 10 days. I learned how other alliances are run, and how much leaders can contradict themselves. Its a pretty crazy universe out there, for a couple worthless pilots. And whether you're flying in fed space, or out in Omar, or Salzik, there are always people along the way who will help you, especially when the one that should be helping you most fails to do so.

So my mission is Done. I've learned all I can learn. I'll make my report and disappear into the abyss. Good hunting, and Happy trading.

Alliances Merge

In an attempt to bolster their ranks Fundamental Hypocrisy have recruited players from the now defunct alliance State Force. The Hardened Crewminals brutal actions of destroying State Force's planet galaxy and entire fleet led the leaders of FH to recruit the active pilots formely of SF.

With these new additions Fundamental Hypocrisy hopes to battle the dominance of the Crewminals. However HC are experts in alliance warfare and their teamwork is unrivaled. Fundamental Hypocrisy will have their hands full when 'Crew attack.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Farewell State Force

After seeing the words “Fundamental Hypocrisy” next to my alliance tag, I decided to sit back and analyze the state of my universe and how I, a former State Forcer usually battling these Fundamental Hypocrisy guys came to join their alliance.

So I suppose I will start with the downfall of State Force and go to the current situation. For the entire game, I was happily going on a few port raids and planet busts but was primarily trading. My race just happened to be perfect for trading a top-notch route we created in our galaxy so I was trading early and often. I traded so much and so effectively that I amassed a total trade profit for this game of almost 900 million (870 something). My thought process was, “If I keep trading now then we will have a big enough warchest that I won’t have to worry about trading anymore and I can get any ship I want anytime I want.” Well, this all fell apart when we lost our bonder along with the billion credits to the Hardened Crewminals. With little funds left and many pods taken State Force was effectively finished.

So in the chaos that erupted afterwards I was left with very little. The alliance was in ruins with most of the important people and leaders already leaving. I fled to the nearest high level planet in my Thevian Assault Craft but had a defense rating of 3 and didn’t want to risk getting podded by mines.

As I waited I got this message, “hey are you looking for a new alliance? Crusaders College already has an active bunch of people and with your help you could make us that much more powerful! :) so what do you say?” I wasn’t exactly keen on joining the JV version of the alliance that just took my 900 million so I passed on this “opportunity”.

Then while in the State Force channel in IRC I was invited into Fundamental Hypocrisy. I suppose that joining the alliance I was previously fighting is better than the alliance that took my money. So I joined Fundamental Hypocrisy and it turns out they were battling the Crewminals in what was previously my home galaxy. They gave me a safe path out of the galaxy and I have been op'ing with them ever since.