Jouldax - The Emerald Cut

jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Jouldax - The Emerald Cut

Post by jouldax »

Clearly the current round is dead, SO...I'm proposing to end the current round a week from friday and begin a new round on the following day. Here are the specs of the new map

Mine time is 5 minutes/mine in the racials and 2.5 hours/mine in the neutral and planet galaxies. ALL OF THE WARPS IN THE LARGE GALAXY WILL HAVE LOCATIONS SO THEY CANNOT BE MINED EXCEPT FOR THE WARPS THAT LEAD TO THE PGALS EXPLICITLY.

The UG location will be placed randomly in one of the smaller neutrals.

THERE WILL BE NO PORTS IN THE PGALS

Dashed lines mean the galaxies wrap around. Solid lines are self explanatory. There will be no walls in the pgals.

Distance from warp inside a planet gal to any other planet gal = ~30-40. Banks inside the Pgals will also have bars.

Speed will be 1.5

I will NOT re-race ports to match specific quadrants of the neutral galaxy unless mutlipliers get too high. I INTEND MOST ROUTES TO START OUT AT 1-3x MAX. Only L9 ports will be in the neutrals, but there will be an abundance of ports so busting is a MUST.

There is a nice little legend in the bottom right. Please read it first before asking what something is/why something is missing. Fed sectors will be 1 square, just like last game (open for discussion).

12 vets, 4 newbs alliance caps
Turn cap at 600
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dilbert
Quiet One

Re: Jouldax - The Emerald Cut

Post by Dilbert »

Ok firstly I agree about a lot of the suggestions, though a few make me wonder, why have no ports in pgals why not allow an alliance to build up planets and a route within their pgal as this is what I remember most from years ago that helped alliances fund all out wars with each other. Also for those of us not in alliances and currently not set up in alliances restricting routes to only alliances that can pr is gonna suck. Seriously if I can only trade a 3x in my racial gal coz the only decent route is in a neutral gal that an alliance has mined/scoured/watched after carefully raiding I might as well pack up my pod and leave. One of the best things about this game used to be that to have security, and planets etc you had to work as a team but to be ranked number 1 you could be a solo player. the obvious example used to be newbie help leader years ago. Anyway seeing as vet caps are gonna prevent me from being in an alliance most likely and therefore I'm gonna trade solo I would like the map to be a little less biased against me! :)
In order to stab someone in the back, you first must be 100% behind them!
Ric020023

Post by Ric020023 »

I'd second that. Pgals are way more fun if routes are possible and they are what fund the big wars that make this game ultimately the most enjoyable. If all the neutral gal ports have to be busted to create routes then you're going to draw a line in the sand that'll be hard for smaller alliances or individuals to cross - once good routes are created in those gals, and there will only be a few, they'll be too protected for access. Those two complaints seem to be contradictory. One is calling for protected routes, the other is saying protected routes are an issue. But it's about access and the ability to build. If there are no pgal ports - have more route options in the neutrals. If there are pgal ports - still have more route options in the neutrals :)

Warps across the large neutral seem like an awesome idea.

Looking forward to it.

-Ric
Ric020023

Post by Ric020023 »

Also, and I know I've been gone a long time, but why such small racials? While I agree the most fun is to be had in neutrals, that makes it damn intimidating for smaller alliances or newbies to try and grow. IMO there should be decent trade opportunities within racials that allow growth and learning without the punishment and challenge of a giant neutral or 3.

-Ric
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Let me give you some feedback from the feedback I've received:

1. No ports in pgals means you can't have an easily defended route where you can just stockpile cash. You have to build routes nearby and create your own opportunities. This makes the game more interesting and requires more active defense for traders. I will probably leave a small smattering of ports in the walled off areas near the pgal warps that can serve as one side of the port, making them somewhat defensible without a hunter having to trudge all the way into the pgal to shoot traders they'll never see.

2. Small routes was how this game was founded. 1x used to be the norm, not the exception. This will force the game to last longer in the trading phase, which makes it more interesting for both traders and hunters, and delays the grand finale PB round which inevitably ends the game once more than one rock is busted.

3. Yes, individual players will have a harder time in this map, but joining forces was a key to success in this game, and I'd like to see some of the loners forced to make nice to achieve their own personal goals. Fostering teamwork should always be a goal of any map. In the meantime, I'll probably make one or two decent exp routes for the daring traders to attempt.
3a. By the way, PRing is not the only way to build a route (read:upgrade). Yes, that would take resources, but then, you can be clever about that and maybe buy some help.

4. Racials are small because you shouldn't get any benefit from trading safely. It's all about risk and reward. The closer you are to fed when you trade, the less you should be rewarded.
Dilbert
Quiet One

Post by Dilbert »

Ok firstly I would love to make nice however as ive found in this round by joining late there is no room in alliances for an old vet due to the capping system so I've been forced to go solo. And I know from past experuences that most alliances will likely be set up before the game even starts.

Next racials always allowed for safe trading I remember being able to find 8x + routes in some racials such as alskant and no more than 3x in others like nijarin so to help trading races to have a chance to get xp before a hunter could come and pod you. The dawn of 1x routes being the norm and high level neutral gal ports to raid to create routes was when smr 2.0 beta emerged, before that trading in racials was a legit way for noobs and solos to go to help gain xp and let's face it a good hunter will get you no matter what gal your trading in. To that end I agree that racials perhaps should be bigger, with better routes for "trading" races such as Skant, human and wq human like in the past.

Next a few trading xp routes will again benefit not daring traders but traders who a) can buy maps and b) can put a fellow alliance member in a hunter to guard the route which will close it off to the rest of the player base.
Dilbert
Quiet One

Post by Dilbert »

By the way I'm not advocating a return to fed alliances by having 8x routes through fed, but if you make racial gals bigger then you could have 8x route on the far side of a racial gal to prevent this yet still allow racial trading. Make racials 400 x 400 or 500 x 500 with more warps to the central neutral gal (which I like).
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

Dilbert wrote:By the way I'm not advocating a return to fed alliances by having 8x routes through fed, but if you make racial gals bigger then you could have 8x route on the far side of a racial gal to prevent this yet still allow racial trading. Make racials 400 x 400 or 500 x 500 with more warps to the central neutral gal (which I like).

A 400x400 is insane. The player base is small enough that this would make trading incredibly safe, since no hunter would be able to check all that area. Hunting is hard enough as it is when you have to wait 6 hours before someone even moves ingame.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

So, I'm open to increasing racial galaxy size (say, 7x7?), but again, I don't really want to reward people for trading in their racials. There should NEVER be an 8x in any racial, and the only reason there has been the past couple games is because early game money was thought to be an issue. Well, giving people early game money just makes it quicker to get planets and go hide behind them, taking away a key aspect of the game. This is all experimental, folks, but given the limited activity we have now, I'm trying to optimize the game for the current player base.
Dilbert
Quiet One

Post by Dilbert »

I must admit I had forgotten about the playerbase size being tiny scrap the size of the racial gals comment but the rest still stands.