Jouldax - The Emerald Cut

jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Jouldax - The Emerald Cut

Post by jouldax »

XDemonX wrote:We are going in circles here. We need more people to input some feedback.
Sadly they probably won't. At this point, as I said, I'm just inclined to move the ports back inside the pgals on the warp or close to them and then just massively increase cash routes w/ a 2 month game. You guys think more money would cause more activity and more hunting/opping, so we might as well try it.

I'm also not going to make someone else make a map this late in the game with the current game stagnant. Much as I hate to see my idea and design get turned around, we need a game fast, and the design of the map is pretty solid for either strategy.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Reserved for comments
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Holti wrote:I truly think that JJ should make the map and round as he sees fit, and we'll see how active it is. I don't think Jouldax should take the blame for making a map to JJ's liking, when Jouldax doesn't think it's a good idea. Jouldax will get the blame that he does not deserve if the map fails, Jouldax should only take the blame for a map *he* created, not a map catered to someone else.
No one is taking blame nor should blame be given out, to assume the game is going to be a complete failure before it starts doesn't make sense. No one is blaming Jouldax anyways on here other than offering up opinions on the map, now if someone is blaming him and criticizing him, they can do so on here.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
RATM

Post by RATM »

I am recently returned from about 8 years of hiatus. I am a newb again for most general purposes, and was still pretty green when I stopped playing initially. Just qualifying the relevance of my comments...

I most enjoy the build-up and beginning stages of the game by far. I like the awkward growth, the reward of patience, and the danger that comes with hunters patrolling racials. I like there being mostly active hunters and traders and builders, and less oppers. I like the chaotic pace of the beginning, instead of the wait-and-see, winner take all, one alliance dominates stage of the later game, right before everyone gets ;) off and goes inactive. Deaths feel like they mean more early on, but are ultimately something that people can always come back from, even if it takes a lot of time and seems like an immeasurable set-back right after it happens.

For me, this game isn't about how awesome alliances are. Teamwork is great, and crucial for success, and I enjoy the camaraderie and tactics, but the reason why I find this game exciting and fun is because individual actions matter in the grand scale, even if it's just a little bit.

I can see why some people find opping to be the most fun and exciting part of the game. But something important gets sacrificed if all the major-active players in this game want to do is sprint through the early stages to get right back to the tipping point, the edge right before the round is no longer fresh.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I like the idea of being cognizant of the various stages of the game as they are experienced, and then trying to manipulate them to avoid the mad dash to the finish line.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

RATM wrote:I am recently returned from about 8 years of hiatus. I am a newb again for most general purposes, and was still pretty green when I stopped playing initially. Just qualifying the relevance of my comments...

I most enjoy the build-up and beginning stages of the game by far. I like the awkward growth, the reward of patience, and the danger that comes with hunters patrolling racials. I like there being mostly active hunters and traders and builders, and less oppers. I like the chaotic pace of the beginning, instead of the wait-and-see, winner take all, one alliance dominates stage of the later game, right before everyone gets ;) off and goes inactive. Deaths feel like they mean more early on, but are ultimately something that people can always come back from, even if it takes a lot of time and seems like an immeasurable set-back right after it happens.

For me, this game isn't about how awesome alliances are. Teamwork is great, and crucial for success, and I enjoy the camaraderie and tactics, but the reason why I find this game exciting and fun is because individual actions matter in the grand scale, even if it's just a little bit.

I can see why some people find opping to be the most fun and exciting part of the game. But something important gets sacrificed if all the major-active players in this game want to do is sprint through the early stages to get right back to the tipping point, the edge right before the round is no longer fresh.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I like the idea of being cognizant of the various stages of the game as they are experienced, and then trying to manipulate them to avoid the mad dash to the finish line.

Yeah don't get my ideas mixed up in the sense that I don't think there should be strategy, I do. But there are some limitations to the effect that if you make deaths so costly that one would be dejected from the game by dying then I would see that as an issue. I do however think you might be a bit off on the mid/late parts of the game, there are several things you have to strategize for in the later parts of the round. You can't just throw money and numbers at an issue and expect it to be fixed. Plus you have to be careful how you spend your money in doing your strategy. If money is severely limited then it just prolongs the game such that you may never get to the middle/latter parts of the game or such that one dominant alliance will while everyone else is spinning their wheels.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

LordDrax

Post by LordDrax »

It's been a long time since I've been around so I'm out of touch with a lot of things... But the only way to know for certain how this round will go is to start it up and see how the map performs.

With that said and regarding my own personal feelings I don't like the idea of limiting trade in the racials just because they have 1 sector of protection. Now I'm going by when I last played and there were 5 sectors of fed space and it was dangerous as all hell then to trade in racials... I couldn't tell you how many people I gave complimentary pods to because they tried to run back to fed space from me. That 1 sector only makes it more dangerous with less entrances to mine and slow down your target. I think the size of racials should be slightly increased with better trading nothing game breaking mind you but enough so that you don't have to go half way across the universe to find a decent route esp. if you're running solo or in a small close knit alliance.

In a nutshell I think racials should always remain a means of moderate trade and hunting.
Beausoleil
Quiet One

Post by Beausoleil »

Cool story bro
Warg

Post by Warg »

ok this discussion is getting long so im not going to read everything else before this just post my opinion. I am in favor of this map design and I am one of the players who is opposed to continuing the status quo galaxy build gameplay we have had. I have advocated for some big changes to strategic necessities in gameplay and i think they are being provided. We will get some good gameplay differences from this game, maybe some things will get worked into another round, maybe thi9ngs go back. The main thing is that the rounds dont have to be based on the same type of map concept every game. Change can be fun.
There are a couple flaws that i find glaring. The planet gals should be removed completely and planets should be placed in the main neutral where the ports are. This will still allow turf to be claimed, just not in the ame way. The other is the game length needs to be shortened to about a month and a half. 3 months is just too long. Some major changes happened in my schedule over 3 months and i had to all but stop playing completely even tho i was leader this round. shorten the rounds. Aside from that i am embracing the new concept and look forward to it.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Warg wrote:ok this discussion is getting long so im not going to read everything else before this just post my opinion. I am in favor of this map design and I am one of the players who is opposed to continuing the status quo galaxy build gameplay we have had. I have advocated for some big changes to strategic necessities in gameplay and i think they are being provided. We will get some good gameplay differences from this game, maybe some things will get worked into another round, maybe thi9ngs go back. The main thing is that the rounds dont have to be based on the same type of map concept every game. Change can be fun.
There are a couple flaws that i find glaring. The planet gals should be removed completely and planets should be placed in the main neutral where the ports are. This will still allow turf to be claimed, just not in the ame way. The other is the game length needs to be shortened to about a month and a half. 3 months is just too long. Some major changes happened in my schedule over 3 months and i had to all but stop playing completely even tho i was leader this round. shorten the rounds. Aside from that i am embracing the new concept and look forward to it.
We have tried the planets in neutral idea several times man, I know you weren't around then but those maps flopped big time. It ended up being one team took a few planets and everyone else played from fed which caused the game to go stale extremely quickly, we really don't want that to happen again do we? Things right now are just too connectable to do the planets in neutral idea especially with a small map.

Dilbert
Quiet One

Post by Dilbert »

Firstly holti actually talked sense so either I'm wrong or I've gone insane.

That aside, my favourite part of any game is the start, finding a route, selling my laser for holds and trading like an idiot to get into a slightly bigger trader. The reason though I normally quit after 2/3 weeks is by that time at least 3 ppl from each alliance is already in a hunter and finding a safe time to trade is a joke. Saying that I know that hunting is an important aspect but it would be nice to have it take longer to get a greater hunter to trader ratio. And as far as hunters not having any activity when there on the vol what do you expect that just makes good sense?! However you have npc's you can chase around all day if you want...

I also think that 3 months is too long for our current round format if you want quick cash and early hunters etc then make the round 6 weeks and the game speed 10x! If you want to play a patient game that takes a bit longer but feels like you've achieved more then let's play jouldaxs map. Personally I've changed my opinion of this map not due to anything other than this discussion and the fact that the "vets" don't want to give it a try which seems good enough reason to go ahead with it...

Plus I'm a trader at heart so selfishly I like the idea of a prolonged start especially as I try to set up a trader training alliance next round. :D
In order to stab someone in the back, you first must be 100% behind them!