Jouldax - The Emerald Cut

Warg

Re: Jouldax - The Emerald Cut

Post by Warg »

then limit alliances to one or two planets for a round. still shorten the duration of the game. The point here is to develop a second type of map that can be cycled in and out with the regular planet gal map. The concept here is to try to create a map which encourages and highlights the trading aspect of the game, and creates situations where trade routes are fought over. The status quo is for each alliance to have seperate trade routes. I would like to see something different.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Warg wrote:then limit alliances to one or two planets for a round. still shorten the duration of the game. The point here is to develop a second type of map that can be cycled in and out with the regular planet gal map. The concept here is to try to create a map which encourages and highlights the trading aspect of the game, and creates situations where trade routes are fought over. The status quo is for each alliance to have seperate trade routes. I would like to see something different.
I think I have some ideas for that type of map in the summer, Warg. I'd like to totally change the design to fit into what you're suggesting, and maybe make it a concurrent map with a regular game. I think it needs to be all or nothing, however, so I'd not want to use this map for that purpose.

I think slowing down early hunters was part of my goal, and less money also makes you use your resources more strategically. I won't raise the size of racials, however, as they are already too large imo and add too many sectors to the game. Smaller is usually better, but I understand the need for decent routes.

So, I've come up with a compromise I'm sure no one will like! I am going to put ports inside the pgals on the banks for builders and money routes (also giving the daring a chance to jump in for a kill), but I'm going to stick with my original plan of limiting initial cash gains. Please, please, please don't take this to mean that all routes will be 1x and crap. I will make sure there are some decent routes, including in the racials, but I'd rather 3x be the norm instead of the exception (even if it's likely no one will trade a 3x). With higher alliance caps you should be able to overcome any money problems, and once the major alliances build routes in their galaxies, they'll have plenty of time and cash to op.

I completely agree that the game should be limited to 2 months, and will be building all future maps with that time frame in mind. I will also consider raising game speed slightly going forward, but for the time being, will keep it at 1.5.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Warg wrote:then limit alliances to one or two planets for a round. still shorten the duration of the game. The point here is to develop a second type of map that can be cycled in and out with the regular planet gal map. The concept here is to try to create a map which encourages and highlights the trading aspect of the game, and creates situations where trade routes are fought over. The status quo is for each alliance to have seperate trade routes. I would like to see something different.

I am fine with limiting to 2 planets. 1 is probably a bad idea especially with the combat code as is, it gives defenders 0 chance of winning that fight.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

2 planets is an interesting idea for another game, but I'd like people to be willing to risk a bonder or at least have the option of one.
Warg

Post by Warg »

i agree that 2 is probably a better number than 1. it gives you a comeback if you get busted, but not have 4 planets to make it pointless for attackers to get any cream. If you are putting the ports back into the planet gals, then i would question what are you actually changing really? Did you guys alter the formula to upgrade a trader route? because i can make a level 9 in a day. That was the essential difference to the map. Aside from that change, its still too big, there are still planet gals to begin with, and its still too long. I think you caved to the wrong pressure.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Warg wrote:i agree that 2 is probably a better number than 1. it gives you a comeback if you get busted, but not have 4 planets to make it pointless for attackers to get any cream. If you are putting the ports back into the planet gals, then i would question what are you actually changing really? Did you guys alter the formula to upgrade a trader route? because i can make a level 9 in a day. That was the essential difference to the map. Aside from that change, its still too big, there are still planet gals to begin with, and its still too long. I think you caved to the wrong pressure.
With the limited alliance cap and combat code change, it makes no sense to land together now, so realistically you should get cream if it was 2 or 4.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

jouldax wrote:2 planets is an interesting idea for another game, but I'd like people to be willing to risk a bonder or at least have the option of one.
Just curious. You're talking about delaying the game so the game doesn't come down to one big planet bust. Reducing the amount of planets just makes defending a lot harder and attacking much easier. Having less planets = less safety = more reason to play from fed.

Bonding is a whole new issue. When was the last time a alliance successfully bonded money?
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Dilbert
Quiet One

Post by Dilbert »

Umm alliance caps quick question can i have a an alliance full of noobs ie more than 4 and on a different point is there a waiting period on order to buy maps?
In order to stab someone in the back, you first must be 100% behind them!
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Dilbert wrote:Umm alliance caps quick question can i have a an alliance full of noobs ie more than 4 and on a different point is there a waiting period on order to buy maps?
Yes and yes
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

XDemonX wrote:
jouldax wrote:2 planets is an interesting idea for another game, but I'd like people to be willing to risk a bonder or at least have the option of one.
Just curious. You're talking about delaying the game so the game doesn't come down to one big planet bust. Reducing the amount of planets just makes defending a lot harder and attacking much easier. Having less planets = less safety = more reason to play from fed.

Bonding is a whole new issue. When was the last time a alliance successfully bonded money?

I think Jester bonded some cash 3 or 4 games ago. I agree this aspect needs to be improved. Your idea of increasing bonding rates with planet level is intriguing, but that might make cash too easy to obtain. There needs to be SOME risk associated with bonding.

Also, as JJ mentioned, there's no reason to land together now, but if you had 2 planets only, there would be a bigger chance of cream. With that said, as you mention, it might also foster fed alliances. I also like the idea of have multiple planets for bonders or keeping the end-game going. I was never planning on making the game culminate in one big bust, especially since I've been saying that the game usually ends anyway after one or two big busts. I was simply stating that, for a different map, perhaps one with planets in neutrals, 2 planets each could be a good idea. Maybe we make arming significantly harder for that map so there's less incentive to play from fed.