RedRocket's Map Idea

XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

RedRocket's Map Idea

Post by XDemonX »

RedRocket's Idea Just posting for him.

He wants everything randomally placed in the gal. Fed locations, routes, planets, banks. Everything is random with random walls. This is actually interesting i don't think this has been done. Everything is luck of the draw and everyone can fight over everything.

Game name: Everything
Game Speed: 1.5
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Holti
Quiet One

Re: RedRocket's Map Idea

Post by Holti »

A long time ago, when Kouga was still teaching me some aspects of the game, there was a game where it was one giant galaxy. He hated it, but I didn't mind it at all. Kouga was a hunter, I was a trader :)
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

I've always like these ideas. My only caveat would be each race would need at least one peace at +500 relations for trading to work early. It would seem there would not be enough routes otherwise.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

Think I like about this idea, is this makes everyone play differently than they have played in years. There haven't been a game like this in a long time and I think it will take a different type of strategy than everyone is use to. This could also cater to smaller alliances.

If there is a planet near fed that no one cares about a small alliance could be building that planet while safely being in fed. I don't think people playing from fed should be a problem. But there could be small changes with weapons so alliances are not able to operate fully from fed.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Let me just post all my concerns that I shared with RR privately:

1. Routes will be entirely dependent on random gen and some races could get shafted early on - Jester's idea might help solve some of these issues, but redoing a massive galaxy full of ports until we get a suitable combination is somewhat of a pain in the ass.

2. Arming might be a complete :D depending on random placement and connectivity, which would have to be amended manually.

3. Planets will likely be very difficult to defend.

Those are just the surface issues. If we want to go ahead with a map like this, which I am fine with, by the way, if we want something different, then we also need to address the following questions:

1. Total number of sectors
2. Total number of planets
3. Mine/Scout expiration times
4. Connectivity and wall %
5. Number and placement of weapon shops/CAs
6. Alliance caps and Planet sizes

If you give me answers to these questions, I will make this map for next round.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

jouldax wrote:Let me just post all my concerns that I shared with RR privately:

1. Routes will be entirely dependent on random gen and some races could get shafted early on - Jester's idea might help solve some of these issues, but redoing a massive galaxy full of ports until we get a suitable combination is somewhat of a pain in the ass. - That's part of the fun of SM/R the randomness of it all. I say it run it once and let it go.

2. Arming might be a complete :P depending on random placement and connectivity, which would have to be amended manually. - Good people might need to fight for weapons.

3. Planets will likely be very difficult to defend. - I say easier than these planet "galaxies." You aren't trapped, can utilize jump and it's OPEN.

Those are just the surface issues. If we want to go ahead with a map like this, which I am fine with, by the way, if we want something different, then we also need to address the following questions:

1. Total number of sectors - 3000
2. Total number of planets - Lets say 5 per alliance, 4 alliances, 20 planets + 10 for newbies.
3. Mine/Scout expiration times - Same as a nuetral toady
4. Connectivity and wall % - I don't know, normal? Probably something along the lines of 40-30-20-10 ?
5. Number and placement of weapon shops/CAs - 3 CAs, weapons random?
6. Alliance caps and Planet sizes - I'd say 25 vets, 5 newbies and no top racials, max planets where they are now wooo, obv no one will go for that but i hate top racials.

If you give me answers to these questions, I will make this map for next round.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

This would be a 2 alliance round with 25 vet cap. I'm going to make it 15/3 for now. I am planning on about 50% connectivity, high port density, numerous locations. 3000 sectors seems large but I could live with 2500. Need more than 3 CAs for that and some locations will have to be tweaked. Mine time will match current neutrals. I am considering putting in 2x all the major weapon shops just so that arming isn't impossible, but there will only be 1 UG.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

You're making alliances small again? I really don't see the point.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

15 isn't small, and the point is we don't have a large enough active player base to increase alliance sizes and everyone wants to get away from draft rounds. So let's see if we can get another 3 alliance round.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

jouldax wrote:15 isn't small, and the point is we don't have a large enough active player base to increase alliance sizes and everyone wants to get away from draft rounds. So let's see if we can get another 3 alliance round.
Cap size is 16 vets right now and no one can get a op together to take a max level planet. 15 is too small.