XDemonX's Desert Oasis

JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: XDemonX's Desert Oasis

Post by JettJackson »

As for making the map, it can be done easily in one night as long as complete devotion of time is spend on it by the map maker and yourself. You and I worked on a previous map of yours together and it got done efficiently and to specifications. I have no problem making it again as you specify, your rough draft is a good start but you know there is a lot more to it, with respect to port density or connectivity in galaxy for example.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

I do not have time to lead. I vote xdx vs. azn. I was also the one who called you out for killing Leesus. Whatever you want to say, he hasn't returned to the game because of you. That's a fact. Since no one wants to actually take time to read what I have to say, as apparently long, well written posts are too complicated or tldr, I will say it again here in bold: I have always said that you can't treat players with kiddie gloves forever; there needs to be some sort of compromise. Unfortunately, this game is very unforgiving, and killing italics can be very discouraging to them, even when they're in a good support system like CIA. Even if you think you're doing them a longer term disservice, we need as many people to play this game as possible. The more we can nurture them, even if it means shielding them from the eventual harsh realities at first, the more likely they are to stick around long enough to find out what the game is really like. I'd prefer everyone be fair game. I'd also prefer having even 50 active people playing. I'm not sure you guys fully comprehend that I would rather the game be like you want it to be, except that, as head admin, I am doing everything in my power to grow the player base and keep it afloat, even if that means compromising on my vision of the game and how it should be played near-term. I have also been pushing for months for this game to be a perpetual draft game with trades and mini games set up in between given the current player base unless we shrink the game to make it more friendly to 10 man alliances. By the way - we can have councils do a 3 team draft; draft games don't need to be 1v1, although for this map, 1v1 would be optimal.

PS - I have been pushing for multis and am working on a solution along with a rules overhaul

Anyway, enough about things unrelated to the map. We'll go ahead with this map for next round and try to incorporate all the changes. So far we have:

1. Increase racial connectivity
2. Allow for oasis super ports in the desert
3. Move unos closer to pgals to help defenders
4. Reduce tunneling to a modest degree to at least increase potential op success
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

If you want to give the defenders an escape route, we might be able to use 1-way warps. That way, attackers only have one way in and defenders can still get out.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Just to piggyback what Jouldax is saying, this was part of the reason why I joined CIA last game instead of remaining solo. I want to help teach some of the newer players how to play the game, repeatedly killing them over and over doesn't work for most new players. Yes you labelled a couple of examples but those examples are few and far between. I have always been for trying to help newer players going back to old SMR when I was a Newbie Helper. The game needs more nurturing of new players instead of just killing them over and over. Help files and text guidance can only go so far, it takes more hands on approach to get newer players to understand and stick.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Incognito wrote:If you want to give the defenders an escape route, we might be able to use 1-way warps. That way, attackers only have one way in and defenders can still get out.
I would be against this, it would lead to teams leaving a planet galaxy and people hitting empty rocks while the opposition is hiding away from the rocks. It is bad enough landers are rarely busted anymore, I wouldn't want to add more ways for people to get away.

aznplaya06

Post by aznplaya06 »

@JJ examples are few and far between? i gave u two examples and u gave me one. i don't repeatedly kill new players over and over again( out of 359 kills i have 15 italic kills, and most of those were long time ago when game was full and ppl randomly logged off in open space when they quit. and before u bring up your ratio noone cares) nimms is prolly the only exception(and he was vet status before we started fighting) and thats because he sought me out to fight. it may seem like i kill ppl alot cuz noone hunts but me anymore. I will not lead next game because obviously my style of play of getting everyone involved and doing stuff isn't right for this game. Every time i lead ppl complain and JJ you already told me that i was a bad leader and would be helpless without XDX and Bouncer doing everything for me so there is no way i am capable of leading a draft game.
Leader of Elves & The Black Hand
Rest in Peace The Flying Dutchman
I copied OR
Aendar
Quiet One

Post by Aendar »

So does this mean we will keep talking about draft game instead of just trying? ;-)
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

aznplaya06 wrote:@JJ examples are few and far between? i gave u two examples and u gave me one. i don't repeatedly kill new players over and over again( out of 359 kills i have 15 italic kills, and most of those were long time ago when game was full and ppl randomly logged off in open space when they quit. and before u bring up your ratio noone cares) nimms is prolly the only exception(and he was vet status before we started fighting) and thats because he sought me out to fight. it may seem like i kill ppl alot cuz noone hunts but me anymore. I will not lead next game because obviously my style of play of getting everyone involved and doing stuff isn't right for this game. Every time i lead ppl complain and JJ you already told me that i was a bad leader and would be helpless without XDX and Bouncer doing everything for me so there is no way i am capable of leading a draft game.
Since this was directed to me I will reply to this, I am fine with no draft game then. No sweat off my brow, you can say what you want. I am not getting tricked into leading and the suggested opponents leads to the same groups staying together. Why not just admit it, you don't want your crew busted up like mine was FORCED to be busted up.

jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

God this is getting so off topic again. Let's stop with the attacks.

Azn - I only pointed out one example of where your play style impacted the player base. Players like Aendar and TJ, who are newer, returning vets, have much thicker skin and can take their lumps. Unfortunately, they are the exception, not the rule. I liked having sergei around - it gave me a challenge. I like to try and trade when you're out hunting as well. With a draft game, hopefully you get a good mix so everyone can learn. Right now, while our teaching alliance is doing a great job nurturing players, you guys are going to get bored. I suspect my multi rules will either help this or exacerbate this problem. I also hope you reconsider leading next round. This map is catered to your style of play.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

JettJackson,

No one is forcing you to lead or is trying to even convince you to lead. I am sorry but your recent attitude towards the game and certain players I feel wouldn't be good for the game for you to lead half the playerbase. Stop bringing up that Azn and mine crew is afraid of getting busted up.. We do not care.. If Holti/Jouldax came to me and said "Demon, our alliance wants to try to be competitive this game will you join to help even it out a bit?" Sure, I would have no problem with that and would join you guys but no one approached me and I am sure no one approached the other people in my alliance asking them to join CIA before or during this game. You have to understand that people are not magically going to appear in each alliance equally. For the 10000 time we play with each other not because we want to just dominate the game we play with each other because a lot of us are close on a personal level. Because of how slow of paced this game is we are stuck sitting in TS/IRC for long periods of time so at least having people you enjoy talking to keeps us active. I would not even care to play SMR at all if I didn't have the interaction with people. Also, I stated many many times I would like next game to be a COMMITTEE draft game. You will most likely be apart of the committee who discusses which players go where. So yes, our group will most likely get "busted up".

Azn,

You do not get a choice. I will force you to lead. You still care for the game and you keep people interested in the game. For next game's draft game you are for sure slotted in to lead. You can support a large alliance. We just need someone to step up to lead against you. I am hoping Bouncer or maybe Hugh will do it.

Jouldax,

Unfortunately I don't think my activity can lead a large alliance at this time. I am making an offer on a condo this week so I am sure my schedule is going to get hectic leading up to Christmas. Once I am fully moved in, my activity level will go up quite a bit but until then I am not comfortable taking on the responsibility of leading a draft game. As you know from previous games, it is important to find a leader that has the time.

I really hope your multi idea can be pushed through. If you have time this week, I would like to setup a time where possibly I can bounce some ideas off of you that could potentially help move this along (Just text me when you want to set this up). I have several ideas (i am sure you already thought of them) that would involve zero coding changes but it would also involve a bigger workload for the admin team.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....