Galaxy Ringu

Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Galaxy Ringu

Post by Harry Krishna »

Think of one big galaxy like a round series of rings. At the center, the racial ports & HQ are grouped together in the galactic core. Beyond the core, the mid zone is a large ring of open space filled with random racial ports, ship/weapon locations, CA, etc. and a handful of dwarf planets (like asteroids). The outer edge of the galaxy has tunnels leading to planet clusters, each with 5-6 planets. Very few warps, so people have to travel.

By design, there is more distance to cross to get from one place to another, more distance between teams. Longer trips to arm up, to UNO, to CA. Turn conservation would become an even more critical aspect of the game. Military OPs may require a different type of creativity, planning, and strategy. For example, to maximize turns a fleet might use a dead end or a stray planet that lay halfway to their target as a staging point for their attack. This would likely provide a challenge to players who are used to having their enemies close and easy to attack.

Thanks to Bouncer for putting this idea into a picture.

that which pods you makes you stronger
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: Galaxy Ringu

Post by JettJackson »

First off it is great to see you posting HK, and secondly I love the map idea, it mixes the races up nicely and puts some separation of planet gals but still close enough that you aren't moving much more than 50 sectors to an enemy. I think this is a nice balanced map.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

Hi HK,

Thanks for taking the time to post this idea. I like this idea and I like that you have a plan. Do you have an idea of what you want max turns and speed of the game to be? How far between enemy galaxies will it be? 50 sectors, 100?
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Thanks for the positive response, guys.

What's considered "normal" speed these days? 1.5 and 650 max turns? I guess that would work. Distance-wise, closer to 100 sectors apart than 50. IMO the further would be better because the point is for them to be far away. If you speed it up or make the turn max higher it just defeats the point of the big distances a big map offers. But obviously, there is a point where it gets too big as well, so some balance is called for. Planet clusters should be far enough away that a semi active team can't hit them hard without taking drastic measures like parking in a DE or an asteroid and chancing exposure to save turns.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

Harry Krishna wrote:Thanks for the positive response, guys.

What's considered "normal" speed these days? 1.5 and 650 max turns? I guess that would work. Distance-wise, closer to 100 sectors apart than 50. IMO the further would be better because the point is for them to be far away. If you speed it up or make the turn max higher it just defeats the point of the big distances a big map offers. But obviously, there is a point where it gets too big as well, so some balance is called for. Planet clusters should be far enough away that a semi active team can't hit them hard without taking drastic measures like parking in a DE or an asteroid and chancing exposure to save turns.

Would you consider having small arid planets placed closer in the neutral zone outside of pgals? This would provide strategy for both sides. A team could decide to take the small planet first then use that to hunt/op from. If the defending team owns it, they could use it to flank the enemy. This game there are arid planets placed in anconus though this is a great idea the planets are currently harder to take than taking a level 45 planet. I would like to see them be changed to 1000 shields / 1000 armor (currently they are 2500/2500). Also could up the max amount of people that can fire on the planet from 5 to say 7. These planets shouldn't be difficult to take but should still require some coordination to take.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Yes, that sounds right. A launching point for attack and/or defense by teams could be one way these little planets come into play.

The map shows two dwarf planets (D) in front of each planet cluster. I took these as being representative of my idea to have many small asteroid/dwarf planets scattered all around the middle zone in a ring, not just the eight as shown. Some asteroids would be closer to the racial core, some closer to the planetary clusters. They could be temporary hiding places for those without turns, or offer a risky parking spot for a lone trader close to his route, or some other purpose that creative players will think of.

The number of these asteroid/dwarfs and placement is certainly debatable. More hidey holes in the form of little planets and dead ends could make play less predictable, offer different strategic options, so I would be in favor of a good number of them. 15? 20?

[ Maybe some dwarf planets only can fit 1-2 landed ships, others a are big enough to house a whole fleet. Not looking for a code change, but that idea just came to me as I wrote this. ]