Double the Playerbase?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Double the Playerbase?

Post by Edgecrusher »

I'm dead set against this idea. Legal multiing is bullocks, especially if you have to pay for it. It gives an unfair advantage to people who have lots of time to spend, completely destroys the balance of planets' and ports' defenses and reduces the game to a version of semi-wars.
SpaceDoG
Quiet One

Post by SpaceDoG »

In all honesty this won't double the player base just increase the number of accounts. It'll make it look like there's more people than what there really is.
Beausoleil
Quiet One

Post by Beausoleil »

Edgecrusher wrote:I'm dead set against this idea. Legal multiing is bullocks, especially if you have to pay for it. It gives an unfair advantage to people who have lots of time to spend, completely destroys the balance of planets' and ports' defenses and reduces the game to a version of semi-wars.
+1

Imagine the wrangling to HoF stats...killing your multi for arbitrary increases in kill count? Someone would do it. I'm sure there are other abuses that would happen.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

If you read the initial post then you would have seen that I mentioned something about having to have both "accounts" in the same alliance. Therefore eliminating the possibility of your team killing your "multi". Now what I am talking about is not the sanctioning of multis, but the hard coding of 2 traders per game per account. Therefore I'm sure Page could easily remove the Attack button to prevent solo players from killing their second trader.

As far as destroying the balance of planet and port's defenses I'm not quite sure I see your point. Sure you could get 10 real people to show up to an OP thus giving you 20 ships, but flying two ships at the same time in an OP is a very challenging experience. This would make for slow OPs and more opportunity for your enemy to get 5 people on(so 10 ships) to counter-OP the slow and split up OPpers (*EDIT* if its the same account and just separate entities within that account then you would have to hit Play Game or something to switch to the other thus making it even slower. ). Or as Poca said have the secondary trader not be able to buy combat ships. I agree that it is too big of an advantage to make it cost money. This game already gives people with lots of time to spend a huge unfair advantage I can't really see why having a designated trader is so much more.
Last edited by seldum on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Also as SpaceDoG pointed out this wont really double the player base the post topic was merely an attention getter. However I do see it increasing the activity in the game which is a positive thing anyway you spin it.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

seldum wrote:As far as destroying the balance of planet and port's defenses I'm not quite sure I see your point. Sure you could get 10 real people to show up to an OP thus giving you 20 ships, but flying two ships at the same time in an OP is a very challenging experience. This would make for slow OPs and more opportunity for your enemy to get 5 people on(so 10 ships) to counter-OP the slow and split up OPpers (*EDIT* if its the same account and just separate entities within that account then you would have to hit Play Game or something to switch to the other thus making it even slower. ). Or as Poca said have the secondary trader not be able to buy combat ships. I agree that it is too big of an advantage to make it cost money. This game already gives people with lots of time to spend a huge unfair advantage I can't really see why having a designated trader is so much more.
If I bring a fleet of twenty to an op I don't really have to move very fast and the chances that both my characters need to uno is slim when only 10 out of 20 fire. At the same time, defending becomes ridiculously easy: with 1 person and 2 characters for that person, you can easily prevent any planet bust. Good thing too, cause how are you ever going to counter a fleet of 20 even if it moves slowly.

And then I'm not even mentioning that it's very easy to sit with 20 at a warp: enemy cannot kill you because with two characters and having to switch between them there is no way you can move 20 people into a sector at the same time, while the enemy that sits with 20 had no need for movement coordination and just needs one trigger.
SpaceDoG
Quiet One

Post by SpaceDoG »

And for people like me who have 2 monitors it's waaaay too easy to move two accounts at the same time.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

It's easier to just use 2 browser windows and alt-tab to do it, that way all the buttons are in the same place and you can move in sync very easily. I think I've done it with 4-5 accounts on beta at one point where we were messing about having some special game ages back.

Honestly though the problem with this is that it's currently very hardwired that one account has just one player so that changing it would require changes all over the place and would likely result in lots of bugs.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Page wrote:Honestly though the problem with this is that it's currently very hardwired that one account has just one player so that changing it would require changes all over the place and would likely result in lots of bugs.
No, the problem with it is that the idea is flawed.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Pffft, my problem trumps the problem of whether or not the idea itself is flawed! :P