Making Trading harder: Take 2

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: Making Trading harder: Take 2

Post by JettJackson »

the570z wrote:You make a lot of sense pickles, but I would disagree that all hunters at least are in it to ruin peoples day, I find that part the worst(good thing for me I dont get very many kills... lol). My desires to hunt is based on the fact that trading is pretty much automated except for hunters. There is zero brains required to do it other then avoiding getting blown up. With the PSF and the prevalence of fed routes, trading has become so safe that anybody who pays attention and isn't on dial up is invincible. Most folks die now due to a connection glitch while running, not because they got jumped at a port. This hurts hunting, but it also hurts trading as its lost the only challenge it had.

I would say we should make traders more vulnerable AND at the same time make hunting ships no longer have to kill a trade ship to get the xp and the cash. The hunter shoots until the ship would be dead, and then gets an option, blow up the ship and lose the cash or take their money and let em go. Turn the hunters into pirates, pirates often would rather let ships go so they can rob them again later as if the traders cant survive and make a profit, there is nobody for the pirates to steal from. Giving them the option still lets you blow up members of opposing alliances to cost them in xp and money. Being raided also should cost some xp, but perhaps only a 10% of what a death would.
I would be against the option like that because it would take away from hunting. Hunting already is limited enough and costly enough. People won't want to have to choose between a kill and money for hunting. They would and should have both.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Beausoleil
Quiet One

Post by Beausoleil »

JettJackson wrote:I would be against the option like that because it would take away from hunting. Hunting already is limited enough and costly enough. People won't want to have to choose between a kill and money for hunting. They would and should have both.
I don't know, I think that option could be fun.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Beausoleil wrote:
JettJackson wrote:I would be against the option like that because it would take away from hunting. Hunting already is limited enough and costly enough. People won't want to have to choose between a kill and money for hunting. They would and should have both.
I don't know, I think that option could be fun.
I agree, that type of change might actually make me want to get back in a warbird regularly
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

Successful raids could be counted as kills, or something else. I mean your doing enough damage to kill them, just when you leave em alive they wind up with some token amount of health left. After discussions with moss, it was decided that if you chose the money you get an additional amount of xp for the attack depending on how much cash you take. Moss suggested 100xp per million, I suggested 500xp per million.

Some more details. If you blow up the trader, they still lose the cash. Also if people wish, shots against italics by non italics(where a newbie kill would apply) would default to the raid option. If you insisted upon killing them, you can always leave mines.

On the subject of mines, if people dont like the idea that these folks will die to a single on the way to uno, then perhaps a successful raid grants 5 noob turns. Lets them reach safety without hitting a single left by the hunter.
silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

the570z wrote:Successful raids could be counted as kills, or something else. I mean your doing enough damage to kill them, just when you leave em alive they wind up with some token amount of health left. After discussions with moss, it was decided that if you chose the money you get an additional amount of xp for the attack depending on how much cash you take. Moss suggested 100xp per million, I suggested 500xp per million.

Some more details. If you blow up the trader, they still lose the cash. Also if people wish, shots against italics by non italics(where a newbie kill would apply) would default to the raid option. If you insisted upon killing them, you can always leave mines.

On the subject of mines, if people dont like the idea that these folks will die to a single on the way to uno, then perhaps a successful raid grants 5 noob turns. Lets them reach safety without hitting a single left by the hunter.
what if once you are done raiding them they get "towed" back to fed. they keep their ship but lose turns as a result.
i killed orca.
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

Thats a good idea, a tow back to fed with a turn cost of double distance from HQ up to a max of 50? They should also get some token monies to buy shields and armor while they are there as a free tow to fed as a /0 doesnt help at all if you have to walk to a bank first... lol.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Can this thread get back on the topic of making trading harder.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

For every action there must be an equal and opposite reaction. With traders becoming much more vulnerable, hunting needs to become less of a day wrecker. With more kills comes more ;) off traders. Finding a way to make hunting more tolerable to traders means getting much larger concessions on making them more vulnerable. With no changes to anything else, most traders will not agree to any sort of attempts to make them die more often.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

the570z wrote:For every action there must be an equal and opposite reaction. With traders becoming much more vulnerable, hunting needs to become less of a day wrecker. With more kills comes more ;) off traders. Finding a way to make hunting more tolerable to traders means getting much larger concessions on making them more vulnerable. With no changes to anything else, most traders will not agree to any sort of attempts to make them die more often.
Traders have it extremely easy right now, there is no sense in weakening both trading and hunting because if you take 2 steps back on both you still have the same disconnect. Things need to be closer to balanced and right now they aren't.

the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

what we were talking about doesn't weaken hunting at all. It does however make it less disagreeable to those being hunted. Which is important in getting them to be ok with making them more vulnerable. If hunting becomes piracy, then traders wont be so negative about being made more available. Trading Harder<>Hunting Easier. There are plenty of ways to make trading harder that do not make hunting easier or traders easy to kill. I would much prefer making trading into a more involved process over just making them slower and easier targets.

I havent figured out how to do that side of it yet, but I did figure out how to make the traders not mind being hunted so much, thus I thought it was relevant.