Unbalance

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Kard
Beta Tester

Re: Unbalance

Post by Kard »

Infinity wrote:Check his logs again...
I have 4 shots for a /12, 3 shots fot a /13 (similar lvl player as well), 4 shots on /11 (higher lvl player at the time), 4 shots on a /10

Like he has added accuracy just for him.

Edit: "I have" as in "I have his logs..."
I was /6 and got away from him after 2 shots, still had /2 when i fled. he probably has so many logs, you were able to go through and pick out all the lucky ones and still have a large enough body to make it an example. He probably has just as many logs where he undershot, and just as many where he shot how he was supose to.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

A lot of things go in to the imbalance of this game.

1) The game speed was never meant to be more than 1.0.
2) Map sizes are way to small, especially with high game speed.
3) Broadband is now pretty much 100% common in SMR.

Put these three together, what do you get?
A game with a ton of turns, a small galaxy and very fast connections. This means you can arm up all in Omar (hey look ma, no need to go to racials and arm). You can arm up with a FULL set up in like 30 turns from omar fed. Even if you're no in a DC, this is RIDICULOUS.

Super fast connection speeds means newer players, or even people a little slow to respond never stand a chance. Back in the day with the big galaxies and slower speeds you could take your time and trade, to learn and to make schemes.

Action items to make this a STRATEGY game like it's supposed to be, and not just another clicky fast to win game.

1) Make game speed 1.0, or at most 1.25.
2) Make several planet galaxy that interconnect, make several large nuetrals. Make nuetrals in between racials. Give this game some DEPTH.
3) If you can't seem to do the others, at least put some kind of delay on triggers. No /6 or /8 trade ship can stand up to a DC for more than 2-3 seconds. That's crazy.
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

Jester- wrote:A lot of things go in to the imbalance of this game.

1) The game speed was never meant to be more than 1.0.
2) Map sizes are way to small, especially with high game speed.
3) Broadband is now pretty much 100% common in SMR.

Put these three together, what do you get?
A game with a ton of turns, a small galaxy and very fast connections. This means you can arm up all in Omar (hey look ma, no need to go to racials and arm). You can arm up with a FULL set up in like 30 turns from omar fed. Even if you're no in a DC, this is RIDICULOUS.

Super fast connection speeds means newer players, or even people a little slow to respond never stand a chance. Back in the day with the big galaxies and slower speeds you could take your time and trade, to learn and to make schemes.

Action items to make this a STRATEGY game like it's supposed to be, and not just another clicky fast to win game.

1) Make game speed 1.0, or at most 1.25.
2) Make several planet galaxy that interconnect, make several large nuetrals. Make nuetrals in between racials. Give this game some DEPTH.
3) If you can't seem to do the others, at least put some kind of delay on triggers. No /6 or /8 trade ship can stand up to a DC for more than 2-3 seconds. That's crazy.
I agree with a few points.

The game becomes more unbalancing, as game speed increases. I agree we should never have more then 1.5, and more commonly should be 1.25 and 1.

Back in the dizzzzaay, it took 70 turns to arm a good setup. Sometimes 130 turns. Now it takes 20-40 turns. see the change from 70-130 turns, no you have 20-40. :D Not to mention CA runs and uno runs took some hella turns to grab a load then go to racials. I would love to see several large interconnecting neutrals betwen the racials and planet gals.

Make it so if you want to hunt racials, you either have a terrible setup, or you have to waste 120 turns to arm up then come back to racials. Encourage people to go to planet gals because routes and weapons are better out there :D

page load delays are nice IMO. i think half a second would be nice. make it veeerrry rare to have 2 shots in same second, where as ive been in a fight where there was 4 in the same second lol. It was cool to see, but not how it should be.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Me Page and JJ were talking about attack delays this weekend...

Think the general consensus was that it would be a good idea, the only place we differenced was on the length. Which basically ranged from 1 shot every: 1, .5, .4 seconds.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

RCK wrote:Me Page and JJ were talking about attack delays this weekend...

Think the general consensus was that it would be a good idea, the only place we differenced was on the length. Which basically ranged from 1 shot every: 1, .5, .4 seconds.
Tried and tested before.

Didnt work, dont honestly think it would a second time round.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Jester- wrote:1) The game speed was never meant to be more than 1.0.
I agree they were never designed to be as high as they are, however this was also at a point when it did take much longer to burn your turns simply because pages took much longer to load :P I'd say 1.75 is still too high, it pretty much removes speed as a balancing factor for the most part and doesn't need to be so high since in general ships are now faster (there are a lot less PSFs at 4 speed and a lot more Freighters at 10 speed and there's no shortage of fast hunters), I'd say dropping to 1.5 and staying there would be a good idea, that way speed would actually start to matter (a 10 speed ship would have 360 turns/day instead of 420 turns/day, 8 speed 288 instead of 336).
Jester- wrote:2) Map sizes are way to small, especially with high game speed.
Can't really argue, I do agree the game speed is too high considering that many more ships are high speed - and you are meant to purposely save turns for raiding, so have to be patient for one day (surely that's not too much to ask! who raids every single day anyway?)
Jester- wrote:3) If you can't seem to do the others, at least put some kind of delay on triggers. No /6 or /8 trade ship can stand up to a DC for more than 2-3 seconds. That's crazy.
There is actually a delay of .5s between each shot (from the same person) as it stands and has been since.. start of 1.6? The time shown on the news/logs is when the person clicked the attack button, the shot will not go through until after the delay though (I'd like to change it so the timestamp reflects when the attack actually happens rather than script starts to make that behaviour clear, but that's not as easy to do as you might hope). Most people tend to only hit the delay very rarely if at all so it's not noticed - it's mainly there to limit those people who may be tempted to cheat.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Institute a "sliding scale" for delay.

based on player rankings. Larger the different the larger the delay. For a new play the fact a battle starts and ends in 1-3 seconds is a shock. Give them a chance to figure out whats going on, 5-10 second delay.

As your rank improves, the delay goes down til your looking at the current .5 or similar.

<waits for the complaints to start>
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

One large unbalancing factor we are all forgeting to mention, when increasing gamespeed, is the turn cap increases. The game was balanced to have 400 turns be the max. So when you save turns and have 12 people show to an op, you can accomplish 400 turns worth of raiding or clearing or busting. Now with 700 turn caps, its almost double. If you get 12 people with 700 turns, if you organize and plan well, you can burn through the entire gal. You could, if you want to, clear each planet gal of every force, and bust each route that is over say, more then 6x. Anyone remember draft round, when one side could get 17+ people with 700 turns online at once. There was nothing they couldnt do. If they had 400, there is a limit.

Even if you increase the game speed, I dont think the turn cap should increase. If you got over max turns and they get wasted, then so be it. But 10+ ships with 700 turns is unbalancing.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

The turn cap is already separate from the game speed, it has been for quite a long time now.
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

Page wrote:The turn cap is already separate from the game speed, it has been for quite a long time now.
Maybe my memory isnt what it use to be with this old age(26) but i remember any game speed of 1 use to be 400 turns or 450 turns or something like that. not 700.