Mines - The END.....

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

the only way to change the impact of mines is to change how mines are coded
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Travdan
Quiet One

Post by Travdan »

You can make it cost turns to drop mines, decrease the price - anything like that does too little to solve the problem. Yes, it might keep a few people from laying as many mines, like hunters and smaller alliances, but the thing is: alliances will continue to lay as many mines for maximum protection as long as they can, whatever the turn/money cost. This is a game of maximum deterrence right now. If it costs more turns, more people will be put on mine duty to make sure the ESSENTIAL mining that is needed with this system of mines gets done. This is the mining that people claim is unhealthy. Therefore, you'll see less healthy interaction and more non-interacting (more people laying the mines, less ship-ship interaction). Also, you are completely wrong Sterling when you say that twice the cost = half the mines. Do you think we would mind spending 2 billion on mines instead of only 1 billion? I think not. If there is less money in the game, that might be a little help, but it is not a direct or thorough solution to the way that mines are currently being used.
Siege
Admin Emeritus

Post by Siege »

Hmm..I don't really know this Travdan character but we happen to agree on most issues.. Cost of mines will not affect the big alliances in the long run, 2 months in most major alliances will have over a billion easy in the bank not to mention their assets.. People are going to mine as much as they can whatever it takes..because right now thats the only defense until your planets are level 70.
Member of far too many to name, here are the main ones : The Edge, The Forsaken, S.P.A.M. , Anla'Shok, Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Lead/colead : The Edge, Adult Swim, EPIC, Quiot Riot, Cereal Killers.
Thennian
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Thennian »

make them expire faster, and so if allaicnes wanna dedicate the extra turns to maintaining their mines, it just means they cant be on the offensive with as many players.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Shortening expiration times will accomplish nothing more than (maybe) a slight decrease in field size for a major cost in turns. I really don't think that punishing the dedicated miners in the game is the right approach. It's all about the money - cash needs to be an issue, and right now it simply isn't for the big boys.
Eggburt

Post by Eggburt »

I agree with Ardbeg, there's far too much cash considering the prices of everything in the game never goes up. Mines cost the same on the first day of the game as they do on the last day of the game. Their value doesn't decrease yet that's exactly how they are priced along with everything else. There's nothing in the game to account for inflation and by game end there's so much money floating around that it should loose some of it's value. Problem is if this was addressed it would hurt newer players entering already existing games. Therefore the only logical course of action would be to do what Ardbeg is suggesting. btw x6 cap works for me.
RedDragon
Quiet One

Post by RedDragon »

Egburt has it - why not make mines a price related to rpi, and supply (perhaps limiting supply as well) /demand

A real market simulation for forces / ships / weapons / ....
Would really stop everyone flying the same old ship with the same old weapons too....
Volrath
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Volrath »

but that represents a problem for a player who joins mid-game...
Former Member of: CoS, NE, Armada, FI, DoW, The Legacy of the Phoenix, E.P.I.C., Adult Swim, Sillicon Valley, POD, Sesame Street, Beyond Divinity

Currently in Veil of Avalon
Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Vtreka »

Kind of a lateration to RedDragon's idea, what if there was like a supply/demand style for mines and/or cd's and scouts as well? Just like a port. Then it would regulate just how many mines COULD be bought at all. Not sure on exact number that could be used for something like this, Travdan is usually the numbers guy ;)

So say that a CA only even has a certain amount of mines per day. Then that could stop massive fields right? Though I can see MANY people being against an idea to curb their only defence against attackers in planet galaxies it could be worked to a level that was decent instead of being too many or too few.

Anyway, new suggestion thrown out there, lots fo suggestions on here, a couple of good ones. I dont' see why one or a couple of the ideas could be used together. LIke perhaps cash multiplier caps in conjunction with a supply/demand type structure. Or combo's of others.
Founder of: Death Control, Life Control and The Order
Member of: DK, CM, EdL, Northstar, RR, FTV, FI, SPB, TD, LoM, LB
RedDragon
Quiet One

Post by RedDragon »

Thinking more about it simply adding a supply/demand side would probably increase people mining the CA which probably is not a wanted addition.