Mines - The END.....

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Volrath
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Volrath »

BooRawl, we do understand what u are trying to say (some more than others). the thing is, your suggestions aren't for making smr a better game, they are for turning smr into a completely different game!!!
Former Member of: CoS, NE, Armada, FI, DoW, The Legacy of the Phoenix, E.P.I.C., Adult Swim, Sillicon Valley, POD, Sesame Street, Beyond Divinity

Currently in Veil of Avalon
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Kuwl wrote:
ReTodd wrote:Who remembers the time Cru defended their level ~70 against DC and the planet wasnt behind huge minefields? Ya that was awesome
I remember that ;)... If i'm not mistaken, you guys stocked over 20,000 shields on that planet.. by the time we were done with it, it was down about lvl 40?
Yeah then the code was changed so that defense we used wouldn't work anymore LOL
that which pods you makes you stronger
Anarchos
Quiet One

Post by Anarchos »

Suggestions: (I'm a little sleep deprived at the moment so feel free to rip these apart, and some if not all of these were probably already mentioned, it's just I'm yawning my head off and can't see straight to read all 8 pages of this thread.)

1). Smaller alliances organize a force clearing operation either with their own members or by joint efforts.
a). Joint efforts will require teamwork and trust but can effectively be down.
b). Smaller alliances can do this on their own at a greater risk.
c). The best time to do this is after the alliance who owns the forces make the news for doing something like port raids and planet busts - because they will have less people online with available turns.

2). Smaller alliances can ask the larger alliance in control of these forces for a verbal or written pact (not coded) and for a sector by sector clear path and timeframe to whatever it is that is needed.
a). Once again this requires trust.

3). Mercenaries. Prices do vary from cheap to can't pay it. but it is an option to clear out forces.

4). For Combat Accessories, I recommend a scanner and for an alliance member with a Jump drive to get as close as possible and to jump into the CA sector. Since planets have turrets instead of hardpoints (like the OLD version) this solution only works for CA's fior the time.

5). Information exchanges: Wether for cash or not, when an alliance clears out another alliance's forces from the PPL etc. The fact that it has recently been cleared can be sold, given, traded etc.
...Tag Line Not Included...
Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Vtreka »

Sterling wrote:That wasn't the DC i led:) But I do remember that. Was a nice fight (I think I was there for the end of it).
I certianly hope that wasn't a shot at me senior Sterling. I'd like to see what you would do to stop a bunch of people with newbie turns continually stocking a planet :P Before that goes to flame wars I am mucking around. I'm sure with Ardbeg at the helm he would have taken it anyway :P

Nah they did an AWESOME job just for dedicating themselves to taking heaps of pods and restocking They took as many pods as we did from the deadly planet through stocking it and running out of newbies and coming back to do more. I think we did well to stay as long around and keep attacking as long as we did with FI, BSA and god knows who else that I can't remember now from attacking us during the op. To think that in a normal situation now that much damage would have gotten us almost through 2 lvl 70's in a 1x game... both sides had a great day for crusaders who kept the planet and for DC even if we weren't able to take it. At least we all had a good time ;)
Founder of: Death Control, Life Control and The Order
Member of: DK, CM, EdL, Northstar, RR, FTV, FI, SPB, TD, LoM, LB
Vladdy
Quiet One

Post by Vladdy »

Siege wrote:Hmm..I don't really know this Travdan character but we happen to agree on most issues.. Cost of mines will not affect the big alliances in the long run, 2 months in most major alliances will have over a billion easy in the bank not to mention their assets.. People are going to mine as much as they can whatever it takes..because right now thats the only defense until your planets are level 70.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: It sure is, I wouldn't care that mines are removed if planets are more deadlier..... and when we wouldn't be hit by 20 people....
Merchants Guide to the Universe
http://mgu.smrealms.de

Retired!!!
Thauglor
Quiet One

Post by Thauglor »

The fun part of the game for me is fighting other allainces and some of that is working on each others minefields. Just trading and hunting without minefields would probably be great for some people, but a lot of the really dedicated teamplayers who want lots of teamwork would probably get bored. I know I can't handle just to trade and hunt even for 1 game before I start missing the other stuff.
The almighty Thauglor
Lords of Melnibone

HoA, DS, UT, TC, TE, TSM, DD, DEATH, SP, DC, Virus, MH
Tulayrk
Quiet One

Post by Tulayrk »

Thauglor wrote:Just trading and hunting without minefields would probably be great for some people, but a lot of the really dedicated teamplayers who want lots of teamwork would probably get bored. I know I can't handle just to trade and hunt even for 1 game before I start missing the other stuff.
Me neither. In fact, the other stuff is practially all I do. :P

Seriously, getting rid of something as characteristic of the game as mines would be an absoultely ridiciulous idea that could only be influenced by personal bias.

It's not about what's best for any one person, it's about what's best for the game. I love to mine, but at the same time, I realize that too many mines will decrease interaction to the point where people generally aren't having fun.

That being said, I still have a problem with the extremist line of thought that big alliances should be essentially even with the "little guy" (aka inexperienced, less active alliances). If no one has to work for anything and everyone still gets what they want, it becomes a communist Utopia instead of a competetive environment.

If there's a reason to mine, people will find a way to keep mining. By the same token, if there's no reason to compete (because everyone is a winner fun yay!), people won't.
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

Well From what i can tell, the mine fields of these last few games in the neutral galaxies can be contributed to small planetary galaxies, with not enough room to mine, so they mine outside the warp to ive added protection. I remember 12x12 planet galaxy we had in crossroads, we didnt have any mines outside our warp and were plenty baricaded in.

Not only this but sadly people seem to have adopted the attitude that whoever can mine the most is the winer.

Now there is not anything that can be done about this in the imeediate future, i.e. this game. but a solution is now in the works in alpha. All I ask is that big alliances refrain from mining Big locations heavily. Dont mine neutral/racial warps thats just mean. And dont single mine galaxies. I bet all of you got stacks you can fill in your galaxies, so stop putin the mines outside the galaxy.

thanks
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

ohhhhh alpha? really?

*gets goosebumps

I agree in part, layout/size does have an affect, however we need one solution, not one dependent on galaxy design. I remember in some of the NG's mines werent used nearly as much, surrounding maybe two or three sectors of a planet and the warps, one reason was layout, another was attitude.

I agree with loty though, this game has become a "he with the most mines wins" attitude, instead of out playing everyone else, you build yourself a big mine field.

At the end of last game there was a debate about who won, and as far as I can tell, it was decided that no one won. However we have also changed the definition of a "win" it used to be that the guys with the most kills and or exp and or death/kill rating won. Now we get into arguments because someone may not have been busted fully. But does that really matter? If you took an entire alliance of some of the best traders in the game, and had them trade thier little hearts out, and play very carefully, and they never die, can it be said that they won since they had the lowest deaths of all alliances and the highest exp? Of course not, so why should an alliance who plays very defensively all game be called a winner? No, I'm not trying to pick a fight or insult any alliances, the point I'm trying to make is that our focus has changed, its become a very defensive game, and its an environment in which these massive mine fields flourish.
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Carnuth
Quiet One

Post by Carnuth »

there are obviously different aspects to winning each game
dawnrazors, shadow, system failure, cereal killers, death control, suckas, armory