Newbie Help Alliance message board

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Newbie Help Alliance message board

Post by Ardbeg »

Curufir has offered to set up the NHA so that the message board starts each game with a default set of threads, so I am in the process of writing and posting more of the fundamentals of the game that I feel newbies should have easy and immediate access to. The message board is already pretty extensive, but I would welcome input on the things people feel should be there. Just give me the basic concepts you feel should be posted and I'll write the posts myself.
Siege
Admin Emeritus

Post by Siege »

Something that I think we often overlook (not saying you Ard) when teachnig players thwe basics of the game...is 'SMR manners' ..how to keep yourself from becoming the next Crectum.. Might be nice to tell the new players what they're actually doing to themselves by stealing from an alliance..and how alliance based the game actually is...as well as chat/ingame behaviour.. It seems like a minor thing, but if someone would have taught xDx these things a long time ago...SMR would have half the problems it does now ;-)... jk xDx ..I love you ;-)
Member of far too many to name, here are the main ones : The Edge, The Forsaken, S.P.A.M. , Anla'Shok, Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Lead/colead : The Edge, Adult Swim, EPIC, Quiot Riot, Cereal Killers.
Hobbs
Quiet One

Post by Hobbs »

Most definately have a thread on using mIRC and IRC chat. One of the big things with the newbies we get in SF is that we are a very chat oriented alliance and a lot of the newbies don't know right off how or what (m)IRC is. Maybe even set up an NHA channel (If you don't have one already) and encourage your newbies to hang out there so that they might help each other.

Oh, also a section on mines, where they are most likely placed, how much damage they do depending upon the type of sector (2-way, 3-way, 4-way), green sectors, and just general mine How-To. While this may seem a bit advanced for the first time newbies, I find that a lot of people, even players that call themselves experienced, don't know how to react to mines correctly.
What part of lockbox do you not understand!?
SYS konfigg
Quiet One

Post by SYS konfigg »

It'd be nice to know what you have on MB to see if there's anything to add : )

Or did I miss it somewhere?

SYS
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

A post on etiquette was a good idea, I have made one. I will make an IRC/mIRC post when I have time (unless somebody who is expert wants to write me one and send me it :D)

A list is too much work, but you should be able to get an idea of what's there from these thread titles (irrelevant ones removed):

Respect for other players

Turns

Port raiding

Moving on to a new alliance

Useful SMR tools and links

Multiple accounts

Watching the news and CPL

Operations guide

Alignment

How to trade

Logging off safely

Merchant's Guide to the Universe

What the Newbie Help Alliance (NHA) can do for you

Racial galaxies

The Webboard

Talk to the players

Get a scanner

Safe trading
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

That's a very good list, but it's a bit long for a first time user.
Maybe you should have a short README with a list of DOs and DO NOTs that link to other posts. For example:
DO NOT logoff unprotected. For more info see topic Logging off safely.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Blum wrote:That's a very good list, but it's a bit long for a first time user.
Maybe you should have a short README with a list of DOs and DO NOTs that link to other posts. For example:
DO NOT logoff unprotected. For more info see topic Logging off safely.
Great idea, I'll do it next time I log in, and make sure to regularly bump it.
Hate
Quiet One

Post by Hate »

Hobbs wrote:Most definately have a thread on using mIRC and IRC chat. One of the big things with the newbies we get in SF is that we are a very chat oriented alliance and a lot of the newbies don't know right off how or what (m)IRC is. Maybe even set up an NHA channel (If you don't have one already) and encourage your newbies to hang out there so that they might help each other.
Also if you can get the newer players to join the (M)irc, maybe a few of us vets can help you out as well by joining in when we have spare time to answer any questions that arise.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

I would be happy to have a room for newbies and I think it's a good idea - my only worry is that it could end up being very discouraging if they were to go in there and there was never anyone there to talk to.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I think that's mainly why the ingame chat link takes players to #smr. Still it's a good idea to get new players into chat, whether its in #NHA or some other room. This game is hard to get hooked on without chat.
that which pods you makes you stronger