New Map suggestions?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: New Map suggestions?

Post by JettJackson »

no CA gals i say put them in the large neutrals
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Sufex
Quiet One

Post by Sufex »

B.O.B. wrote:Map is relatively simple.
I'll try to come up with a more complex one next time around (or even a player submitted one).

Green is the racial ring.
Yellows are the 3 neutrals.
Blue are the 6 planets.
Red are the 4 CA Gals.

Note that the 3 neutrals are also connected.

Also note that the racials connect to each of the neutrals through a "Corridor" galaxy.
You'll see what I mean when you see the actual universe.

Racial Gals:
Alskant should theoretically have better starting routes.
Each racial gal has weapon shops containing their racial weapons.

Neutral gals:
The neutral gal show in the center has all the high lvl weapons and ships.

Uhh... this map is not fair for traders. One neutral connecting to all the racials is going to be a hunters paradise.

NP -=Shadow=- SF LB Crusaders Armory Armory V2 GS
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ agreed
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Dilbert
Quiet One

Post by Dilbert »

Right Click on the map to view it in full as it seems to have been cropped by the forum.

Anyway....

Would be quite a big map over 7500 sectors, CA's would be in the large neutrals, and due to the difficulty in getting across racials i think it would be a nice change to see how this would go. would be interesting anyway. What do you think?
In order to stab someone in the back, you first must be 100% behind them!
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

when i was going to make a map on sunday, i was going to just take the new boundaries map, expand its size, and instead of 8 planet galaxies, make two large ones..

But if BOB already made the map, there's not much we can do about it right now, but i agree with Sufex and JJ...Traders are done for.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Excusez le mot, but you're all a bit whiny. If you look at the map this round, then no one trades in the racials except the newbies, cause all the damn good routes are elsewhere. And if you think that the trader is done for, then you should consider finally learning to trade for once. A trader that flies the right ship, takes the right precautions and has the sense to look at the news and cpl before he trades cannot be killed, even less so in 1.5 than before.

We all have our ideas about the perfect map, and we can go on discussing it for days, but Bob took the trouble to make one (a nice one if you ask me, but people will argue that I'm a hunter and have every reason to say so), we all want a restart, so stop crying.

Imho, the only thing that a new map needs to enable now is route building and planet building, which it both does. Plus, I like the Corridor idea and am curious to see how that plays out. By all means keep discussing maps so we'll have a brilliant one when we come out of beta, but please let's just restart.
Erke
Quiet One

Post by Erke »

i like dilberts map alot more then BOBs map...sorry BOB, but i thought we was past the CA gals time

thought, i would have done some changes to dilberts map...like:
remove all those planet gals...make em like 2 huge gals instead...
put those between the neutrals..where 2 neutrals got connectet to one of em..and the other 2 the the second one...
and makes the neutrals a tad smaller...and racials a tad bigger
remove those 2 neutrals (10x50)
also...make maps with some benefits...like alsk connected to human....salv to wq...
Last edited by Erke on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

Regarding the trading part, i'm talking to Erke about this now. And its all well and good that traders should be able to fend for themselves if they trade smart and use their resources. Anyone who has played SMR before knows that, and thats fine. But take the new players. Once they get out of racials (I myself encourage them to do it quick) the'll look to the different neutrals first. Not a single one of those galaxies is going to be a great learning ground for new players. Yes, it will teach them to run, yes it will teach them to survive. But it will also make them less likely to continue to play if they die every time they reship.

I'm not saying we should use a different map because BOB went ahead and did the work, and I agree a restart is sorely needed (especially after the whole ordeal on sunday) I'm just pointing out flaws in it that I can see. After all, this is a discussion about the maps.

I don't like the CA galaxies, I don't think that they are needed in 1.5 at all. I'm interested to see how seperate planet galaxies affect next round's territory gameplay compared to this one. Will we see a resurgence of mine use? I'm also interested to know how many planets will be in each galaxy. Will there be enough for one of each planet type? Will there be more then that? Can we have doubles or triples of some types? Or will we have to pick and choose from the types and decide which ones we want?

Routes should be more diverse with this map, which negates the initial troubles I pointed out with the map for traders. I'm kind of worried about how easy it is for hunters to get around though. This round has shown how much easier it is to get kills in 1.5 then in the old SMR (of course I don't hunt myself, I just look at the kill counts), and I worry that the ease of getting around may contribute more to the heavy set numbers of hunters versus traders.

I like Dilbert's map alot, but again would favor 2 larger planet galaxies rather then smaller ones, perhaps connected a bit differently.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

People are missing the point. Are we gonna discuss maps, cause if so I got a few ideas of my own. Or are we just gonna restart and discuss this for next round?
Erke
Quiet One

Post by Erke »

B.O.B. wrote:I'm building a new map that Spock will approve and make live. Get your suggestions in now.

Racial ring or no racial ring?
How many neutrals?
Odd Shaped neutrals?
How many Planet Gals?
Edge, this is what BOB started this treath with ; :B.O.B.: