Next game

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Re: Next game

Post by Blade »

I said it peaked at about 1000 players but we had about 200 die hard vets, ID was far from active in the 200 they had (I bet about 50 at any one time)... we both know that we killed them enough :lol:

And Purify it's already done, before everyone gasps and says we cant do it, if people can mine they will..... and who is saying mines should be a planet defensive aspect of the game no one, but let me tell you never in my time has 15 warbirds killed 300 turns EACH before even getting to the warp of a planet galaxy in an op.

And for my point of a place we already have a mutual agreement NOT to mine...racial galaxies, the players can do it, just requires a little discipline and active community playing.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Blade wrote: And Purify it's already done, before everyone gasps and says we cant do it, if people can mine they will..... and who is saying mines should be a planet defensive aspect of the game no one, but let me tell you never in my time has 15 warbirds killed 300 turns EACH before even getting to the warp of a planet galaxy in an op.
People are only having problems with mines these days because they don't know how to get rid of them.
1) People these days suck at clearing. Clearing your shields and leaving all your armour does not count as clearing.
2) People expect to do all their clearing @ the op. In the past, about a bizzilion pre-OP's would run with anyone who couldnt get to OP, going ahead and clearing.

Basically whats happened is we've increased the speed of the game and 2 things have changed.
1) Miners have gotten better at their jobs, with seeding lists and all that sorta stuff, maintaining a field is an artform which many have come close to perfecting.
2) Clearers have gotten worse at their jobs. People and warbirds waste turns cause they think that 600(1.5x) is more than 400(1.0x). What they havent realised is that 600=400

So basically, what i think these suggestion are doing is dumbing the game down, catering to dumb players. And that is..well, dumb..
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Sorry Kah your worng as the player base decreases the mine fields get bigger, because players are being replaced by mines. You could be however correct about how the players are clearing.

Back in the day people use to get slated for warp sitting, sitting on their planet warp cloaked waiting for people to come by and pounce as it was generally only mined in 1 or 2 sectors from your warp, not 10 sectors deep. So to say nothing has changed is quite frankley wrong, we use to defend warps by guards and tactics.

You can ask Izza too, he is and was one of my miners for a few games, he KNOWS mine fields are getting bigger, even if he enjoys it and by heck he is brilliant at his job, he wont deny the size difference.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

I hate this back in the day stuff you keep bringing up...... reminds me of my father or .....the Republican party.

600 != 400 though..... with mining and clearing, sure... miners get more turds and clearers get the same but to bust a port or a planet or to just move through sectors all costs less of your turds proportionately when you have 600. (Personally i dislike these 1.5 games though.)

The ONLY reason 15 warbirds used 300 turds each to clear to a warp is because of the way this map was designed. Its totally brutal. I could have explained to our guys how to clear better to go into armor to organize your weapons better... even get the FUs to go all armor so the stacks actually disappear instead of having to shoot them. But..... i don't care. We are never getting into that galaxy because of the map. The only reason we op is to find some offline douches or to get into a fight.

I have a feeling this will be my last game for a while... mainly because nothing.. or little has changed. (I acknowledge Page has been a great improvement to the community, and thank him) When i complained about the map near the start of the game, I was hoping some admin would ask "What's so wrong with it?" or "What would you put into a map?"... or at least explain their rationale behind the decisions made...... but instead i got this:

Baalzamon wrote:blade...that was a joke? Thats what I did when I read it. And then I alt-tabbed over so that I wouldn't have to read his post again :-P (just joking, I promise)

Clearly nothing has been learned in the last year......... Palin in 2012!!
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Yes - getting bigger but not just getting bigger because they're getting bigger..if you know what i mean..

It just simple. Theres more turns, therefore more money, therefore more mines. Now this should mean theres more people clearing, and less mines etc... But, theres less players(and the ones who play don't know how to OR dont want to clear), therefore less clearing(so less money spent on replacing forces), less dieing(so less money spent on new ships, so more money for mines)..

Basically i guess im saying lets have smaller galaxies and less turns. Those are 2 changes that can be made without coding changes. Though im pretty sure that no one will ever agree to less turns cause they all see turns as the only way to increase activity..
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

Kahless_ wrote:Basically i guess im saying lets have smaller galaxies and less turns. Those are 2 changes that can be made without coding changes. Though im pretty sure that no one will ever agree to less turns cause they all see turns as the only way to increase activity..
lol i have no idea how i 100% agree with that statement. :S
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Purify wrote:
Kahless_ wrote:Basically i guess im saying lets have smaller galaxies and less turns. Those are 2 changes that can be made without coding changes. Though im pretty sure that no one will ever agree to less turns cause they all see turns as the only way to increase activity..
lol i have no idea how i 100% agree with that statement. :S
Better get in the shower and start washing..everyone says it takes a while to clean the dirty feeling off after agreeing with me..
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

So smaller map on speed 1?

And Purify, if we dont use the past to move forward what else would you like us to use?
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

not speed 1, there is a reason why speed 1 games havent happened in over 5 years, they are just too slow
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Well no JJ - that isnt the reason. The reason a 1.0 speed game hasnt happened in over 5 years is because people mistakenly believe that by giving people more turns they are gonna do more..And therefore play more and everything will be hunkydory. - Note this doesnt actually happen...

Having said that, going straight to 1.0 would be wrong cause people would freak out and scream bloody murder. Tapering back to 1.25 with an aim to be back at 1.0 within another game would be the way to go.