Interface Design Contest

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Page
SMR Coder

Interface Design Contest

Post by Page »

With the coming 1.6 version there will be the possibility to have multiple different "themes", therefore I'd like to get some good designs for it.
There will of course be rewards for the best designs, with the winner becoming the default (and therefore will also need a login page).

The first part of the competition is for a base design as an image mockup, gif, png and jpg are acceptable formats.
To enter the minimum amount of effort is to create an image mockup for Current Sector and for Local Map (although you may submit for as many different pages as you like), the information displayed on these pages may be increased or decreased if you wish.
These images will be voted for and prizes will be awarded as follows:
1st - UPTO $50 & 15 SMR Credits (Will require a login screen as an extra requirement)
2nd - 10 SMR Credits
3rd - 5 SMR Credits
Others with at least 3 votes - 1 SMR Credit
(The rewards may increase if the design is particularly good or if there are more than the required pages submitted)

The second part of the competition is to transform the designs into HTML/CSS, this allows the images to actually become useful and is likely to be the harder part.
To enter the minimum amount of effort is to transform a design into HTML/CSS that works for at least Firefox 3 or Internet Explorer 8 (the two most popular browsers in SMR), all pages that consist part of the design will need to be created.
The designer of the image mockup is allowed first rights to creating it as HTML/CSS and their entry will override others (a bonus for creating the mockup to start with) however if the designer only supports one of the browsers and another player also transforms the mockup to HTML/CSS and supports both browsers then they will be awarded the prize instead (sorry but I do want designs to work in at least those 2 which are each around 40% of the browsers used in SMR)
The rewards will be:
HTML/CSS for 1st place - UPTO $200 and 25 credits (require both FF3 and IE8 to work as a minimum)
HTML/CSS for 2nd place - 7.5 credits for FF3 and 7.5 credits for IE8 (rounded down if necessary)
HTML/CSS for 3rd place - 5 credits for FF3 and 5 credits for IE8
HTML/CSS for any other design having at least 3 votes - 1 credits IE8 or FF3 and 3 credits for both.
(The rewards may increase for particularly complex designs)
person

Re: Interface Design Contest

Post by person »

when does the contest end?
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Page has yet to decide a date, but the first part will close first in order for people to take up the second challenge.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Siege
Admin Emeritus

Post by Siege »

Good contest.
Member of far too many to name, here are the main ones : The Edge, The Forsaken, S.P.A.M. , Anla'Shok, Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Lead/colead : The Edge, Adult Swim, EPIC, Quiot Riot, Cereal Killers.
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

no submited designs yet?
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

i made one what do i do wit it boss?
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

I would sent it to Page
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Siege
Admin Emeritus

Post by Siege »

I offered this to Lotus originally but... I guess I'll open it to everyone..

Lotus is working on a design for CS/Login.. I told him if when he was finished I really liked I'd give him $100.00 (not SMR credits, cash).

Now currently Loty is in the midst of his designs and they look pretty good.. So I don't know if any of you stand a chance ;-)

So.. My $100.00 Real Cash!! + SMR credits from Spock/Page (I believe total ammount depends on how good it is and how many pages you design ex:login, cs, local map, etc. ).

But for my $100.00 Just a sweet login and CS...But I don't know if any of you can master Loty's 1337 design skills.
Member of far too many to name, here are the main ones : The Edge, The Forsaken, S.P.A.M. , Anla'Shok, Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Lead/colead : The Edge, Adult Swim, EPIC, Quiot Riot, Cereal Killers.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Page wrote:(The rewards may increase if the design is particularly good or if there are more than the required pages submitted)
Page wrote:(The rewards may increase for particularly complex designs)
Just to quote from the original, although the may increase is really a will increase. One thing to note, unnecessarily complex html doesn't count - the design has to call for the complexity (otherwise it just means there's more potential problems and work required to maintain, eg the extra junk things like dreamweaver tend to add)
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

When exactly does this contest close? I'd like to give it some thought, if only to screw Lotus, but I'm really busy in real life for the next two weeks.