LotuS

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
LotuS
Beta Tester

LotuS

Post by LotuS »

I dont want to sound like a hypocrite, but at this point I think that is unavoidable. What else can you call someone who changes their mind? someone who had seen the light? not usually...

This post is about the recent decision reguarding the Smugglers Craft Location, and my stance on the subject. I have had alot of different perspectives over the years of SMR, some as I look back were better than others, but at the time I beleived in every single one of them. Alot of people have talked to me about the outcome of the decision to not move the location, and I have to say I feel like a jerk. On one hand, I want what is best for the game, and I beleive in leavng ingame choices to the players on all levels, but I also see everyones point about how it was a Admin mistake in location placement, and it should of just been moved to stick to standard operating procedure of normal SMR gameplay.

Now when you throw in what is best for smr into the equasion, things like fairness for all, removing a ship or ship(s) from availability of newer players and smaller alliances, previous ocasions where other shops which had only 1 shop were found to be placed in error were found, they were moved. But then also for me, seeing this from a personal perspective, taking a location which my alliance chose to control for strategic advantage away from us because other players viewed it as unfair.

I like to think that SMR is a game of many options on ways to go about doing everything, multiple ways to mine, build, oping techniques, trading techniques, ect. This is what always drew me to this game, and this is what is lacking in the game now. from that point of view, of keeping SMR interesting,alive, mobile, and capeable of growth, I wanted this location to stay. Because in any good game of SMR, anyone should be able to claim any part of the game they want, and if they are willing to fight for it, they can. This is what SMR used to be all about, was being able to control this or that, and do it however you wanted. There was more than busting planets of your nemesis's alliance or trading from the safety of fed. This is the way it should be, for growth of the game to happen, this has to happen.

At the same time as this, you have your moral dilema coming back into the picture, this location shouldent be moved because people think its unfair, it is unfair, and thats fine thats part of SMR for one alliance to claim part of the universe and if anyone else wants access they goto fight them for it. It should be moved because thats how SMR procedure is. shops with only 1 location belong in neutral galaxies accessible to everyone from all directions. It IS injustce to smaller alliances who can't foreseably get/clear to the location. It makes people feel hurt, which can be worse than anything else could possibly be for the game.

And this is why I why I support the decision made by those in charge, and at same time dont support it. And If i had a chance to say good job on the decisions based on principle of not changing things ingame once the game has begun, I would say great decision. But being inside the game and seeing the results of this first hand, I have regrets of supporting this decision.

Heres the best forseeable fix I can see and its outcome:
Add a second Smugglers craft location to a Neutral Galaxy. Leave current one where its at. My alliance will take the loss of our prized location, which will stop team poker from being forcibly turned into a Opping alliance to get access to the DC to complete their dream of being a all DC hunting alliance. But in the best interest of the game right now, in the name of justice and what is right, and what should of been done right to begin with, to add a 2nd location for this shop. I also want to say im sorry and thankyou, specifically to these people; Siege, XdemonX, JettJackson, and Kah. They have smr's best intentions in mind and we dont always see that at first glance.
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Re: LotuS

Post by Baalzamon »

Unlocking the topic due to "seeing the light" I guess you can call it.

Moved the post from BS into the proper area of the webboard.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

I have said this before, it's a topic that can easily break the rules and turn in to a flame fest, you the players can control if this topic is locked again, if you want to respond or have your say, think about what you say before you say it.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

I just find it curious to have Baalz advocating on behalf of Team Poker to have the DC shop moved, because its supposedly our dream to be an all DC hunting alliance. Last I checked Baalz was in Quiet Riot and 1/3 of Team Poker alliance is green with good alignment.

I was pretty sure back in the day bypassing thread locks, by starting a new thread, and discussing admin decisions was not allowed. But I don't see this anywhere in the current edition of the rules so it would seem to be ok. So in regards to the DC shop decision by the admins, I fully agree with it, it's too late. If the mistake was caught immediately and dealt with in the first few days fine, but it wasn't. Alliances are choosing homes and using turns accordingly, in which the location might have been a factor.

btw, why is this thread called Lotus? He doesn't seem to be mentioned.

*Edited By Blade*
This topic is unlocked, we have allowed you to have yor say, no reason to critise an action that no longer exists.
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

To: Trigek
Subject: thanks
just wanted to say thanks for trying to control the situation on webboard. it's all the people around me who keep up their great work.
smr lives through you!
SPOCK
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

I've said multiple times that I don't care either way. I see both ends of the arguments, and when I can play again in a week, I'll make due with whatever becomes of it. My opinion on the subject has nothing to do with my alliance in classic, or other alliances. To me, its about game play.

Also, the thread is called "LotuS" because LotuS started the thread, and thats what he named it.
Bonker
Beta Tester

Post by Bonker »

leave it where it is even if we could get 1 we cant arm it anyway due to the mass random minefeilds everywhere maybe in 1.6 we should take away weapons and jus turn the game into 1 big minesweeper and try blow eachothere up with mines hah it must be fun cause every 1 seems to be doin it but anyway...

Leave the DC where it is maybe jus hope greenskulls can keep up with the money side of it cause i know the 1 gal that every 1 gona be raiding =) this gona lead to 2 ways .... either the game is gona be fun with alot of Racial hunting and jus big ops coming from everywhere or every 1 gona get bored n quit (again)

let the war begin !!! haha :angry:
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

The hypocrisy of lotus always amuses me..... that's why i can never take any of his 'serious' posts seriously... he may have well thought out thoughts but they are never consistent with previous thoughts....
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

I don't really care about the DC shop one way or the other, but I really don't understand why anyone wants it.

It's really simple: If you want the DC you probably want to go out hunting. If you want to hunt, you are Thevian, maybe Ikky. Both the ITAC and the Cara are more than a match against the DC, so why on earth would anyone want it so desperately to go opping for it.

I understand that QR wants to be opped. With their minefields allowing no one to move outside the racials, it must be a very boring game for them. But to think that this forces anyone into an opping strategy is, frankly, a bit silly.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

What about people who are njiarin, alskant, human, creo or even salv that want a DC?

I support the admins decisions to keep DC where it is. Adding another DC would be the same as just moving it.

As for Edge's curiosity about this being a boring game for QR, it is not boring at all, we are all having a lot of fun. It just killed my idea of opping a level 70 with 20 DCs :-P
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

If you went any other race and want a DC, then you chose the wrong race to begin with. Besides, there's always the option of going good. The Federal Warrant is still accessible for everyone, and so is the FU, in case you need something with more firepower under your hiney.