Map contest submissions

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Re: Map contest submissions

Post by Blade »

Remember each submission has to have the added factors of port % and how many planets.

Feel free to ask if you need any help
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

Just so you guys can get an idea....the attachment is a screenshot of part of the uni creator. We have to fill in all those numbers. What we're basically asking for is the values for those numbers so that we don't screw it up when we put the map through the creator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

k, here is the idea: I wanted to create a map similar to the KotH game from a few years back. A map with a lot of gain for a high risk, that is both playable for vets and newbies.

The map's most important part is the Fata Morgana galaxy, which has few ports, all of them neutral (if possible) and no locations. Fata Morgana is connected to the racials through a large galaxy called The Desert, which has absolutely no ports. It has CA's and all shops, but no ports. As a result, the ports in Fata Morgana have a large distance index for most goods. However, because it can only be reached through the desert, the most logical option is to trade it in a jumper, which makes people vulnerable. The gain is high, but so is the risk.

Apart from these two galaxies, there are of course the racials, slightly bigger than this game, but not too big. Racials are connected to small neutral galaxies and they are connected to small planet galaxies. Because all the hunting will take place in Fata Morgana, planets are mostyl used for bonding. Both the planet galaxies and the neutrals are relatively safe for newbies, because the vets are all playing in the Desert.

The map has a total number of sectors just below 3000, so it's not too big. Apart from being (I think) original, this map has a good balance between being challenging and newbie-friendly at the same time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jezabelle

Post by Jezabelle »

I'm liking Edgecrusher design. It seems well balanced and spread out enough to give the hunters a challenge and the traders a chance to survive. All the maps are cool though thanks for taking the time to try to make this game better for everyone.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Red - large neutral - HHG, Nuke, PPL, DC, FU etc..
Grey - Ca gals
Green - Racials..might want more connectivity..havent decided..
Blue - Planets..thats right..the planets are attached to racials..
Overall i see it having same total sectors as this game..

Motivation behind this design..I was thinking about the current map and why it sucks so much..And i realised that with everything being so small, arming routes are so small that it actually takes fewer turns to arm a ship from fed and start hunting then it does to park on a planet fully armed and travel to "normal space"..

This is gonna be a problem with our small universes with lotsa connectivity..so planet wars will die(like this round, no one could really care less about planets)

So, how do you make planets worthwhile? You make them a better option than parking in fed by putting them closer to the targets..Problem will ofcourse be mining outside of warps..but hell..people mine racials anyways..just put a few bars around the entrance..
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

I really like Kah's design.

Planets connected to racials will be interesting at best, and that will add something new to the game (or so old that most of us havent played it like that). The CA galaxies mean you can't hunt all racials from the neutral, and will make it easier to get mines/scouts/CDs

Of course, this is a minefield friendly map, which might be bad
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

So tell us how is this going to work? Are you guys going to pick the three best then let us players vote and debate those three?
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

The admin team will do nothing, apart from put their own personal vote in.

All SMR players will vote for their favourite map winner plays, and maybe another vote after that game for the next map but that is not 100% yet.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Baalzamon wrote:I really like Kah's design.
Sorry Kah, he's just destroyed your chances of winning ;)