Anyone know anything about Abstract Algebra?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Hobbs
Quiet One

Anyone know anything about Abstract Algebra?

Post by Hobbs »

So, I'm taking a group theory class, and we're using Herstein's book. The problems my teacher has assigned seem to be causing me a lot of grief, and I can't seem to solve more than 2/3 of them. I know that I'm competent enough to learn this material, and I feel like the rest of the class must be struggling just as much as I am. Anyways, was wondering if there was anyone out there who could help solve this one:

Assume G is a group with H and K as subgroups. The co-set indices of H and K are both finite.
Prove that H intersect K has a co-set index that is also finite.

The proof is trivial if G is a finite group.

The trouble I'm having is showing that it's true for infinite groups G. I was wondering if anyone could help.
I have so far that if G is infinite, and H and K have finite co-set indices, then H and K have infinite order. That proof is pretty trivial, but I will enumerate it below.

Assume Not (FTSOAC)
H,K have finite co-set indicies and are finite order.
But G can be written as the union of all the cosets of H (which is a finite number). Meaning that a G is finite (because H and all the cosets of H are the same order and finite). This is contradiction, and therefore H,K must either have infinite co-set indices or infinite order.

I was thinking that from here, if you could prove that H and K were cyclic, and that they both shared an element other than the identity, then we could easily show that H is a subset of K, or vice versa, and therefore H intersect K is really just H, or K, and that the co-set index of H intersect K is then finite. I think I may be over complicating the issue though. Anyone have any input? Can you point me in the right direction? Am I totally off-kilter with my approach?
What part of lockbox do you not understand!?
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Anyone know anything about Abstract Algebra?

Post by Edgecrusher »

Group theory has been a while, so I don't have a solution ready for you, but I would say the way to prove it is by contradiction. Assume that G is infinite, then try to prove that H intersect K has an infinite coset index, given that their individual coset indices are finite. What would also help is to solve it for a specific group (say, Z) and then abstract your proof to the general case.

I assume you're talking abstract groups here, because for, say, matrix groups or topological groups the solution isn't too difficult.

If I can find time to brush up on my group theory, I'll see if I can come up with a more useful answer. Absrtract group theory is nice, but completely useless if you specialize in an applied direction.
Hobbs
Quiet One

Post by Hobbs »

Edgecrusher wrote:Group theory has been a while, so I don't have a solution ready for you, but I would say the way to prove it is by contradiction. Assume that G is infinite, then try to prove that H intersect K has an infinite coset index, given that their individual coset indices are finite. What would also help is to solve it for a specific group (say, Z) and then abstract your proof to the general case.

I assume you're talking abstract groups here, because for, say, matrix groups or topological groups the solution isn't too difficult.

If I can find time to brush up on my group theory, I'll see if I can come up with a more useful answer. Absrtract group theory is nice, but completely useless if you specialize in an applied direction.
Yeah, we're discussing abstract group theory. Ironically enough, I've come to that conclusion already. I can see the way to prove it, I'm just having difficulty relating the coset index of H or K to the infinite coset index of H intersect K. I'm thinking some kind of bijection is in order, possibly from the cosets of H intersect K to the cosets of H or K, but I can't seem to make anything work.
What part of lockbox do you not understand!?
Swagman
Quiet One

Post by Swagman »

I have absolutly no idea what you 2 are talking about.

But I'm sure of one thing, the world is flat.

Sorry I can't help
Meathead
Quiet One

Post by Meathead »

Swag,

You are so Cro-Mag. The world is round and the universe revolves around it.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

I'm with Swag on this one, if you keep walking eventually your fall off.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Yes, there's plenty of cliffs around to fall off of ;)
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

lol this is why i dropped Algebra.....
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

algebra is just a figment of your imagination
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC