MGU for SMR 1.6

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

MGU for SMR 1.6

Post by Edgecrusher »

Hi all,

In order to be able to use MGU in SMR 1.6, it needs to be adapted a bit. While I am at it, I have decided to fully rewrite MGU, clean up the code, optimize it in areas and document it properly. Now there is a lot of stuff in there that is never being used, and a lot of stuff that I personally don't use, but of which I am not sure if anyone else uses it. Foremost are the different styles. I, and I think everyone else, uses a single style, rather than changing between them. So the question is: which of the four styles do you like best?

Any other suggestions, ideas and complaints are of course also welcome.

Edge
Page
SMR Coder

Re: MGU for SMR 1.6

Post by Page »

I guess I'm biased but I quite like my style ;)

Edit: was thinking trade route styles
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Edgecrusher why not put MGU up on CodePlex. If you do I will be willing to help with the re-write. Looking at the source files I see most of it is dated 2005 so I beleive it C# 2.0. Are you planning to re-write it in C# for the 3.5 frameworks?
Erke
Quiet One

Post by Erke »

Edgecrusher wrote:So the question is: which of the four styles do you like best?
i like SMC Maze best...

btw..good initiative Edge :clap:
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

I wasn't familiar with Codeplex. Have taken a look at it now, but at this stage the code needs cleaning up more than anything, and that's really difficult to do even with version control. Plus, I am not sure if the CopyRight issues are in the way.

By the way, the code is included in every download of MGU, so anyone can see and modify it. I would highly recommend not bothering with it: half the variables are in Dutch, comments are lacking and although it works like a charm, it would not win the first prize for neat code. It's indeed in C#, Visual C# project file is included.

All I plan to do for now is rewriting, once that is done (in a week or so) we can discuss opening up its development. I definitely think that the code should remain with the downloadable executable.
Hobbs
Quiet One

Post by Hobbs »

Good luck with that. Proper documentation would be awesome. Let me know if you need a code monkey, I love C# and would love to help out.
What part of lockbox do you not understand!?
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

make it in java
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

seldum wrote:make it in java
http://page.hosting.vjtd3.com/SMR/TheLazyTrader.php

Although admittedly I haven't added all the things MGU had, it is in java :P
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Make it in java? Why would I do that? Without the .net framework all the interface management would be a hell. You would gain platform independency, but it'll only be a matter of time before there will be wrappers to .net for unix and mac.
Hobbs
Quiet One

Post by Hobbs »

There are wrappers, I've just heard they aren't very good. Java does have the swing library, which is actually pretty good for the interface management. Overall, I don't find it as powerful as the .NET interface libraries, but it is powerful.
What part of lockbox do you not understand!?