Frustratingly Disappointing.

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Iam9376

Re: Frustratingly Disappointing.

Post by Iam9376 »

Freon22 wrote:
Page wrote:What he says isn't knowing a lot about that game, it just requires having half a brain. Also waiting for people to no longer be able to join the newbie game is not really a solution (specially seeing as they may well find ways around that..)
You would think! But it doesn't change the fact that most new players that have only played the game for two day. Have little to no nowledge of how the game works. I agree with what he is saying also, and I would think that you or spock would be able to keep vets from joining a new newbie games once they get their 5 kills. Because even if someone deletes their cookies, changes their IP gets an extra email address and then opens up a new account. Sooner or later they will make a mistake and login to their other account at that time the admin should ban them. Or you could just code a auto ban that has to be reset by an admin after he has looked the accounts over.

The game is fairly easy, at least where trading is concerned; Playing around with some metrics helped get me up, now i don't even have to try to get 80exp a trade.

Sell: 1.03 - 1.005
Buy: 0.9 - 0.98

'course it wasn't very consistent, I'm sure some logic in the game was changing how those effected the trade.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Page wrote:Also I dunno about you but I sincerely doubt I'd be silly enough to log in to my old account at any point if I was doing trying to avoid vet game.
Again you would think!!!! LOL But you do catch players with muilt accounts now and then.

Also I am not sure newbie games is the answer but I think its cool that you guys are trying. You may want to lower the Fledgling some it may help until a better idea on now to allow new players a change to play without being killed 2, 3 time a day.
Fledgling - 5 kills and 40000 experience OR 60000 experience OR 10 kills.

Maybe just maybe and this is the wrong forum for this post. But you could code it so a newbie could only be poded once in a 24 hour period only in his races galaxy and as long as he is in a trading ship. I don't know just something to think about!
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Just fyi, who hasn't figured it out yet, this guy is talking about the Newbie game. Umm... I'm not there.
Use The Force(s)!
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Baalzamon wrote:Fledgling - 10 kills and 40000 experience OR 60000 experience OR 15 kills.

Fledgling gets you out of newbie status page, but ya
Fledgling can join the newbie games I'm pretty sure, so you need to be Average to be stopped (which I happen to be what with having traded loads of exp the first game)
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

oh, okey dokey
drake
Quiet One

Post by drake »

Iam9376 wrote:
Strike wrote:it has a steep learning curve.
It is sad how games nowadays get dumbed down to cater to the mass market.
So what if you die a couple of times? You don't have an expensive ship/lots of EXP to lose. Eventually you'll start figuring out ways to escape the hunters.
I fail to see what is 'dumbed down' about getting destroyed, having to spend all your money buying a new ship, new cargo holds, having to trade on newbie turns to buy shields, armor and a weapon, only to be destroyed again because even a fully decked out Trip-Maker doesn't stand a chance against 'hunters' doling out 600 damage each round.

Strike wrote:Now, if you had to earn all of that yourself and you kill somebody and did it without any major help, then the feeling you get I can guarantee you will be a lot better!
As stated above, it would be infinitely difficult to accomplish anything when all the trade routes worth a damn are completely mined, scouted and hunted furiously. No doubt you'll say something along the lines of 'don't trade a route covered in mines or scouts', which in theory sounds great; until you realize the only routes left are the level 1 ports trading 19exp on 200 holds. Fun stuff.

I'm reduced to only playing when no on else is on, and even that doesn't help.

My ingame name is the same as it is here.
Look man, you're right, about everything.. and as you can see this is something the community knows about and doesn't quite know how to resolve. All I can offer you is a promise it will get better.

I started out playing in NGs, back when we had more people in 1 NG than we have playing smr total now. I did nothing but trade, trade, trade, rarely saw mines, and even rarer I saw a hunter. You know why? CAUSE EVERYONE WAS NOOBS. Get the damn vets out of the newbie game already, it doesn't matter if you have to bump their rank 1 by 1. It's freaking crazy we have average ranked players inside that game.
Meathead
Quiet One

Post by Meathead »

One possible help for newbies would be to give the amount of newbie protection turns after you get podded based on rank.
newbie = 500
beginner = 300
everyone else = 100

Also give the amount of "startover cash" based on that as well maybe.

I think the player base in the newbie is fine. Yes there are some very veteran players in the game that are doing nothing but hunt newbies. So be it. That's part of learning too. Keep in mind that you need some people of some kind of experience in order to teach, both as allies and adversaries. Newbies aren't going to teach newbies the tricks of the trade. It is also a good place for players with some experience but not what I'd consider hard core vets to learn how to lead.

Eventually the newbies get experience and become the experienced players that lead/pod newbies in the newbie game and the experienced players that were podding/teaching the newbies aren't eligible.

There are several newbies from the current game that will be making the transition to the next main game when it starts. Had the newbie game not been here and their only option had been the current main game I gaurantee you they would not still be around.
Iam9376

Post by Iam9376 »

Meathead wrote:One possible help for newbies would be to give the amount of newbie protection turns after you get podded based on rank.
newbie = 500
beginner = 300
everyone else = 100

Also give the amount of "startover cash" based on that as well maybe.

I think the player base in the newbie is fine. Yes there are some very veteran players in the game that are doing nothing but hunt newbies. So be it. That's part of learning too. Keep in mind that you need some people of some kind of experience in order to teach, both as allies and adversaries. Newbies aren't going to teach newbies the tricks of the trade. It is also a good place for players with some experience but not what I'd consider hard core vets to learn how to lead.

Eventually the newbies get experience and become the experienced players that lead/pod newbies in the newbie game and the experienced players that were podding/teaching the newbies aren't eligible.

There are several newbies from the current game that will be making the transition to the next main game when it starts. Had the newbie game not been here and their only option had been the current main game I gaurantee you they would not still be around.

That seems like a reasonable way to deal with it outside of completely eliminating the possibility
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

I am playing the newbie game as well. I had one kill, but only after obviously sitting in an armed MS with him in sector. Vets should restrain themselves in newbie games, but it is a misperception that 'learning the game' means that everyone will leave you alone. Getting podded is a part of the main game, so it should be part of the newbie games. Otherwise with each newbie game we would be breeding a generation of players that doesn't really know how to defend themselves.

If you say that the mined route was the only good route, then you obviously did not look very good. There are many more routes in the galaxy with neutral and racial ports, and if you can't use the best route, then use the second best. Or get a warbird and try to hit back.

Another option is to join an alliance. As has been said earlier, this is a team-oriented game and not only can you learn the game better in an alliance, it'll also give you some protection. I message most new people after a few days of they are interested in joining, but like Kiky said, most don't even bother to reply.

Anyone who has the brains to be in a decent trade ship in two days can be in another ship in another two days. And if you really have a problem with the way it goes, message the vet that killed you, not the community. What can we do?
yamo
Quiet One

Post by yamo »

Trade low lvl routes. Change routes/galaxies frequently. If you get spotted at a route DO NOT GO BACK. Kill all scout drones. Travel in local map with a scanner so you can avoid any scouts/ships in neighboring sectors. Once you trigger a scout drone you are made and should get the hell away ASAP. if a ship/scout shows up on/near your route don't investigate...RUN. Running away is a skill in this game.

The most dangerous sector in the game is the one you are in right now...try not to be there.
Play without distractions:That phone call you took...pod. The door you answer...pod. Kiss your gf...pod. Bathroom break...pod
Plan your escape routes back to fed...plotting a course and following it...pod.
Get a jump drive.
It is a big, ugly universe and it hates you.
Old Soul. Newbie Skills!