New Newbie Game

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

New Newbie Game

Post by Freon22 »

Now I am not completey complaining more along the lines of asking about the old game generator. What bring up my question is I looked at the Human galaxy and there are only 5 Fed sectors. The real problem is if someone mines 4 sectors 633, 647, 649, and 665 no one can leave or enter Human Fed. Also the maze is very heavy which is not good for a newbie game.

I know that Spock uses a diamond shape for all of his Feds sectors. When Fed is imputed the script randomly picks a sector for the HQ from that point it looks and see if there is a connecting sector to the top, right, left, bottom. If so it adds a Fed sector and moves to that sector where it checks again, this continues until you have the diamond shape. But if it find that there is not a connecting sector then that part "side, arm, leg" is broken and it moves to the other connecting sectors to finish what it can of the diamond shape.

The problem with this method is when you have a heavy maze you have less connecting sectors and you can end up with a racial galaxy with few and poor access to the Fed sectors. I heard that the old game generator does not have a edit function, but can Spock, Page, or you go into the database and add a few more connecting sectors to those Feds in Human? I know you can not do anything about the maze but adding a few more connecting sectors to Fed will make things much better.

I am thinking that the Human fed area is going to become a hunters dream the way that it is now. You may also want to check the other racial galaxy feds for this samething. I do not have the maps so I can not look and see.
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Re: New Newbie Game

Post by B.O.B. »

With 1.5 map creator, I could control the maze density. However, with classic, I have no control over that.
The way Fed generation works is it picks a sector for the HQ, then it goes 2 connecting sectors out in every direction and puts a beacon. If a sector directly next to the HQ doesn't actually connect to the HQ sector then it will have no beacon.

As to manually editting the sectors, then yes, Spock and Page should be able to manually address that. Albeit it is upto them if that happens or not. If you see them in chat, you have my blessing to ask them.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Thank you for your blessing :)

But I have already email Spock to see if he will add a few more connecting sectors. I did forget to add 456 to 455 so if he does update and does not catch that it will become a one way street. Kind of like what Page had in 1.6 :-)

So if you hear from him ask him the look at the thread before he does an update, that is if he is even going to do it.
Sector 452 right = True
Sector 453 left = True //This sector is Human HQ
Sector 453 down = True //Same Human HQ
Sector 468 up = True
Sector 455 down = True //This is a Fed sector
Sector 455 right = True //Same Fed sector
Sector 456 left = True //This is the sector I forgot to tell him
Sector 470 up = True

UPDATE tblUniverse SET right = True WHERE gameID = 8 AND sectorID = 452;
UPDATE tblUniverse SET left = True, down = True WHERE gameID = 8 AND sectorID = 453;
UPDATE tblUniverse SET up = True WHERE gameID = 8 AND sectorID = 468;
UPDATE tblUniverse SET down = True, right = True WHERE gameID = 8 AND sectorID = 455;
UPDATE tblUniverse SET up = True WHERE gameID = 8 AND sectorID = 470;
//Add one more update.
UPDATE tblUniverse SET left = True WHERE gameID = 8 AND sectorID = 456
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

I will add that Page only deals with 1.6 code, just incase he gets a barrage of requests to do with classic :)
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Well the mining of the Human Fed has started.

6/7/2009 12:04:00 AM Alexander (41) was destroyed by forces in sector #649

I just don't see the point of having a newbie game if its not going to be newbie friendly.

I know you don't have full control when creating a game. But Fed space in Human is an error and should not be allowed even if everything is random.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

I know there is an issue, but currently only Spock has access to the database and code and is the only person who can change things, he is a busy chap and did stress that bringing back classic code was without coder backup, so what we have been given has exceeded expectations, as Spock has done far more than he already said he would.

Please bare that in mind, but I know this is being looked in to so bare with us :)
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Never mind its only a 30 day game anyway, I didn't think is was a big deal on running a simple update script on the database. Maybe a better idea is to run the newbie games on 1.6 at least you have some control over the layout and you can do a little editing if needed.

Now I thought Human Fed was bad I just looked at the Ik'Thorne Fed is even worst. With mines being a bad thing for the Ik'Throne I can see their Fed being much easyer to mine in. And with them not having jump to get in and out of Fed much better for the hunters.

I think the game generator has been changed or something I don't remember a fed layout as bad as some of these races are in this round.
Sno

Post by Sno »

But Freon Ikthornes are not wimpy Humans, and we dont mind :)

Surreeee mine me in... Come attack my MS... Splat... Or if they manage to take my drones out... Oh look im in fed protection... God I love the old game mechanics. :P
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Sno wrote:But Freon Ikthornes are not wimpy Humans, and we dont mind :)
So you would not mind if I mined up the Ik'Thorne Fed space? Because I think I could move into one of those wimpy HBC and set some mines for you big headed Ikthorne to hit. :lol: