to make smr thrive

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
LotuS
Beta Tester

to make smr thrive

Post by LotuS »

you need to make it so new players can have fun and suceed on their own.
if you dont, this game will never recover. sorry.
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Page
SMR Coder

Re: to make smr thrive

Post by Page »

Well thanks for stating the obvious :P
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

ill expand on this, not say something like this is obvious...

seperating newbies from vets hasnt worked thus far as neither game has alot of activity, and the newbies just arent being retained, as much as id like to give it more time, i think recombining the 2 classes in one game again would be the best for now or allow newbies the option to play both newb/vet games
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Electricdeath
Quiet One

Post by Electricdeath »

agreed...

Maybe having 2 games playing like we have now, the fast one only a month long and the slower one, keep it how it is...but call it a Fast game/slow game and let everyone join both.
Colt45
Quiet One

Post by Colt45 »

what ever happened to noobs not being able to eat a pod in racials?

theres a first step. at least they could trade safe for awhile until dumbasses start mining racials again, cause they cant get enough activity to mine and keep a route in other places :clap: :clap: :clap:
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I second Pages post and I like Baalzamon poster. As far as opening up newbie games to vet or doing away with newbie games. Don't you think that will just make new players a easy target again? Last you just cann't keep new players in racial and think they will be able to experience the full game. This is why there is newbie games again, newbies play against other newbies. When a new player is playing against other new player and makes a mistake it is more forgiving, not so when a new player is playing against a vet player.

I think if you want to do away with newbie games then you need to come up with an idea so that new players can still have a chance of experiencing the full game without a vet killing them as soon as they run out of newbie turns. Until then newbie games are still the best way to increase the player base.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Freon22 wrote:I second Pages post and I like Baalzamon poster. As far as opening up newbie games to vet or doing away with newbie games. Don't you think that will just make new players a easy target again?
Wait, I thought the newbie games were already filled with vets? :P (Can't actually join myself because I traded loads of exp)
However letting newbies play vet games with a warning message that they're likely to die would be a good idea I reckon
Freon22 wrote:Last you just cann't keep new players in racial and think they will be able to experience the full game. This is why there is newbie games again, newbies play against other newbies. When a new player is playing against other new player and makes a mistake it is more forgiving, not so when a new player is playing against a vet player.
I agree that just confining them to a racial is bad
Freon22 wrote:I think if you want to do away with newbie games then you need to come up with an idea so that new players can still have a chance of experiencing the full game without a vet killing them as soon as they run out of newbie turns. Until then newbie games are still the best way to increase the player base.
Well I've added things to 1.6 to try to reduce newbie targetting and make dying less of a roadblock for them (as it stands a lot of the time when you die you lose everything, unless you happened to have already made plenty spare to put in the bank, which newbies generally don't get to the point they have the spare money)
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Page wrote:However letting newbies play vet games with a warning message that they're likely to die would be a good idea I reckon
Wait! I thought of that too. :-) But my fingers would not let me type it and I was in a hurry to get out onto a job. But yel give them a warning message it a fair thing to do.

I'll be happy when 1.6 is ready for live. Looks like it will have much more control over maps and I love the real time updates.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

How about a penalty applied to a vet for podding a newbie? Say if the person podded is newbie or beginner then anyone higher than that takes an xp hit for doing so ramp up the hit the higher the vet status, and the newbie keeps 3/4 of thier cash instead of the current loss rate?
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General