Do you remember when?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Page
SMR Coder

Re: Do you remember when?

Post by Page »

There's been suggestions of things like an accuracy bonus/penalty when a larger group shoots a smaller group, or for all shooting to be 1v1 or capped at the size of the smaller team but none of them have come through to fruition (nobody has campaigned enough and got support - I'm fairly good at forgetting things if I don't get bugged about them although I do look through the in-game feature requests to get them added whenever I have the time to do so)
silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

there are only 2 real solutions

1.) more players
2.) hard cap smaller alliances to 10 players, and balance planets around that number.
i killed orca.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Problem with capping planets, it that 1 person could bust them right up to a stupid point/build.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

Jester- wrote:The game is still fun, just lose some umph with loss of player base. The part I don't like is the insta gang bang 4+ people on with 1 person clearing. We need to even the game out a bit for single players or low active alliances.
Page wrote:There's been suggestions of things like an accuracy bonus/penalty when a larger group shoots a smaller group, or for all shooting to be 1v1 or capped at the size of the smaller team but none of them have come through to fruition (nobody has campaigned enough and got support - I'm fairly good at forgetting things if I don't get bugged about them although I do look through the in-game feature requests to get them added whenever I have the time to do so)
The problem is player base, not 4v1. Every, I mean EVERY game, 4 people will always beat 1 person. This is a team based game, and thats what makes it so great. So clearing mines solo, will get you chased off by groups of defenders, PBs or PRs isnt a solo thing. If you are solo, you are a trader, a hunter. Personaly, I dont want to play a game where 1 person stands a chance against 4 people. You can do things solo, that help your aliances war effort, but taking on 2+birds is not one of them. If you are solo clearing, and you get a sniff of a gangbang, then running SHOULD be your only option. The problem I supose you guys are speaking of, is the problem of people being afraid to do anything unless they outnumber the oponent by at least 2 birds, even if its something simple. Its easy to beat teams like that. Just show up with equal or larger numbers. You can clear their entire planet gal and bust their routes, because they wont try to take out enough birds to stop you, since they know they are outnumber and will lose all their ships. IMO, teams like that are easier to beat. Teams that will suicide on you with 6 ships, against your 10 ships, to stop a route from being raided, or minefield from being cleared, are harder to beat. Just my opinion
Pickles
Quiet One

Post by Pickles »

It's more the issue that newbies never get to take part in the alliance phase of the game. The vast amount of fun most of us get out of the game is when we're playing in alliance. Newbies never get to be part of that and newbie alliances (whilst good) don't really get them up to that level.
Pickles
And when his armies reached the coast; and he beheld the sea; and comprehended the breadth of his domain; Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer.
Ender
Quiet One

Post by Ender »

LOLZ Kard I remember doing that, not very accurate but same effect, I and a few others where accused of cheating so i smacked up the port until i had 0 XP. 1st and only time
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

Jester- wrote:The game is still fun, just lose some umph with loss of player base. The part I don't like is the insta gang bang 4+ people on with 1 person clearing. We need to even the game out a bit for single players or low active alliances.

There is no reason for 1 person to clear anymore. The game has changed. So the fact that they get 'gang banged' is irrelevant.
EstoyLoco
Admin Emeritus

Post by EstoyLoco »

The egde :D :D

Its surely good to read so many good memories ;) Do you remember last time you flew a Speef Midnight Special?

or the last time you jumped in sector 1501 when there was only 1500 in the maps ;)

Or do you remember the last time you PBed a lvl 35 planet alone... just to sell the HHG and Nukes on it?

Do you remember fearing the bank because you knew O and Estoy would be sitting on top of it :P

Do you remember Elvis Fett in game Hybrid who over 1 night killed the #3-4-5 players in the game (Hybrid)

Do you remember Phase 4? also players such as Dudeman, Gilgamesh, Roger Young, The Grim Reaper (the first one), Montana Mike and Catronia (first official SM couple!), Xian... Gir Draxon (who is still working with Speef at EA by the way and recently married)

Do you remember how Templar dominated trading for so long?

Do you remember if you playing Millenium or Proving ground or humm well the 6 monther? :
Do you remember when Odin lost over 300 Millions for sitting in middle of nowhere at night... TWICE???

Do you remember podding Everett for your first time? :D I actually do... Odin just Phad bought him a brand new IST and I went and blew it up!

Do you remember that 4.21 route Deke, Helix, Trigek and myself traded for good while... top 4 players had about 200k when #5 had about 40k ;)

Do you remember the first time you have been podded by me?? mwuahaha :D Izzanods surely remembers :D

So many good memories :) Kaos, HoA, The Edge, The Forsakens, and so many more...

Happy holidays everyone :D

Estoy
"Space Merchant Realms Administrative Team"
canff
Beta Tester

Post by canff »

Lots of great times...

-=Shadow=- was a lot of fun and even more work then ... school and work lol...
GameLoft.... was good and bad... bad that it killed the game good that the games were great ...
Newbie games... lol every vet and an account on it ( to help teach right)....
Back when planets has ship weapons ...
When you could have a FU with HHG/HHG/HHG/NUKE/NUKE/NUKE/NUKE..Even thought i went 7 HPL a lot;)
When one player could get level 5 weapons for everyone and put them on a planet .. Or drop weapons on a planet then fed..very fast rearm...
When Naps were in and we had 45 or more on cpl at all times... Jumping people who pbed you at uno with 4 diff alliances helping:) never seen us till it was to late:)
When HOA tryed to jump us with 10 high exp dc's and we had 12 BC's mining and we killed them..man they were mad.
when you had naps with other alliances who had naps with other alliances and you had to see if you could get past the mines..
Staying up till 3 am when i was in JH typing so soft as to not get cought so i could pb..
MANATWAR my 3ed hand ...and good friend of the early games..
Going to university on a t4...was fast back in the day and running all around dragon in his dc:) with acc weapons on my eos could attack and uno and get back before he made it 5 sectors;)
To many good times.. to list
Cowboy
Beta Tester

Post by Cowboy »

I remember Canff and I having some fun battles in SM. I started playing SM when Hybrid started back in '99 and was lucky to make friends with Simon, Sailormoon and Ozy who really helped teach me how to play and got me into Yellow Moon my first "big alliance". During NST i was in a cloaked trader and Montana Mike tried to kill me every day with no success lol after that game MM told asked me to join HoA and i stayed with them till the end of SM. I had so many good times and met so many people that I can't even remember them all :D
Cowboy