Well.. what you think?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Page
SMR Coder

Re: Well.. what you think?

Post by Page »

CC is realistically meant for vets, hence the alliance cap is same as vet cap, if need be I can add (Experienced) to the game name or something so that newbies at least know that they're probably better off in the other one :P
El_Guapo
Quiet One

Post by El_Guapo »

That probably wouldnt be a bad idea.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

I hate to pile on here, but I think the design of this map is very poor. While the map is obviously for vets, the lack of almost any action, the requirement to wait DAYS for trading and ESPECIALLY for hunting has likely driven most of the active players away. The turns capped at 450 is way too low when it can take upwards of 40-60 turns just to arm, and couple that with the main trading routes being at least 20 spaces away and it takes all the fun out of hunting. It's far too easy to check CPL and decide not to trade as soon as an unknown comes online, and with the current ship builds, anyone with a PSF is going to outlast a hunter unless they are hunting in a WB (defeats the purpose of hunting ships).

If you want to make the map more playable, reduce the arming time, put the best routes closer to each other instead of scattered across the galaxy (seriously, who chases after every trader when it takes 20+ turns to get anywhere...oh wait, that's right, you see like one person trading each day so you HAVE to chase them or you might as well sit there for days and do nothing). Even trading isn't fun when there's no real challenge and, god forbid you're in a PSF, it could take a week just to trade...

In sum, CC is boring as hell and is driving away active players left and right. Intimidation is ok, but it's a bit large. I'd further agree with guap that the ship builds are totally broken, but that's a whole other topic; let me at least make one suggestion: bring back some real firepower. It shouldn't take so many rounds to kill someone regardless of what ship you're in. While this game is ultimately based on trading, the real fun comes with the ship battles. Lower the EXP loss to something like 10% when you're podded, make more explosions, have more fun.
El_Guapo
Quiet One

Post by El_Guapo »

whoa you can arm in 40-60 turns?! I cant get anything decent in less than 100 lol not including walking to the final destination.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

You said you hate to pile on here? By reading your post I'll say you love to pile it on. LOL So 40 to 60 turns to arm is to long? Man in vet games its 100 to 150 to arm. But you can get a planet and park fully armed, would save you lots of turns. I know they should place weapons shops around the Fed along with a bank then line and lock the traders in an open sector. They couldn't get away then! :lol:

Hey sorry about that but thats the way your post comes over. I know you must like to pod other players thats the fun for you. Now look at it from the traders point of view. How many turns and time does he spend building his exper and money to buy a PSF so he can take a few hit from weapons fire. Also if those trading route were too close together then they would become poor trading routers.

Get a planet then park fully armed, set scouts on those trading routes and see what days, times and who is trading those routes. Get some mines then set those mines after the trader move in so he can not escape then pod him.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Freon youre a bit out of touch with this game it seems.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

People have got far to used to being able to die 3 even 4 times a day and still be able to re-arm... You say the speed is driving people away?
I dont think so, I think an old looking game is. Fast game will not be everyone's cup of tea, nor will a slow game...but neither will retain new players as it stands, that is something we plan to change ASAP.

Personally having to arm in a 100 turns is not a game issue, it's personal choice! that has never changed, the hunters use to arm up and hide in DE's, planets or even random no pass sectors in order to conserve turns until planet galaxies were built. Some of you at times expect the game to make your dinner too I think :)

163 players in CC

137 players in Intim

I will let you do the math.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

163 players in CC

137 players in Intim

I will let you do the math.
If these games started at the same time you might have a point. However, as CC opened a week earlier, my hypothesis is that a number of people left the game during that week because of CC being so horrible and last game closing early. Combine that with CC being on top, and having a "friendlier" name which most likely means its the game new players will join.

I will try and do the math for everyone.

Colonial Conquest Stats

Code: Select all

Ensign
seldum (22)
Experience : 4,920

Here are the rankings of players by their experience
You are ranked 69 out of 163
By these numbers we can see that nearly 100 players have less than 5k experience in the Colonial Conquest game.

Intimidation Stats

Code: Select all

Rank	Player	                                    Race                	Alliance	            Experience
79	Pilot Apprentice viperbob (118)	WQ Human	The Long Run	6,315
This person appears to be the cutoff as the next lowest has 1,500 experience. This means that only 58 people who have joined Intimidation have less than 5,000 experience.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Blade wrote:People have got far to used to being able to die 3 even 4 times a day and still be able to re-arm...
It doesn't really matter, that's the type of players there mostly are now, the more strategic ones have already gone (and I'm sure 1.5 helped with that, but was not the only thing)

seldum wrote:I will try and do the math for everyone.
But you won't do it objectively ;)

To argue it from the other side:
CC has roughly 10 less players with under 5k experience, it also has a slower turn rate meaning that by now both games have probably had similar number of turns to use. On top of that CC is mostly mixed race so a lot of people have been trading with much less than max relations and not bothering to bargain.

But regardless I don't care which game may be better or worse but what would be nice is for people to say what is good/bad about each game within it's own limits, if you don't like having to wait for turns then a slow game is for you, but what could be changed within the map itself to make the slow game a better slow game, and also to make the fast game a better fast game?
silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

for me, having not a ton of interest in the game as it is, the CC map is ridiculously bad for me.

As it is i only want to play casually, and trying to trade in a giant galaxy full of mixed race ports doesnt not make it easy for someone that doesnt want to be a "tryhard"(someone trying to "win") i just want to kill some time, talk some smack with people i know slowly trade up my exp, and write some galactic post stories(which apparently the gp is dead?). one giant galaxy, tons of different races with ports mixed and matched means i have to put to much effort in to mapping the galaxy to figure out which ports i can trade at and which i cant in order to actually start playing it just got to the point where i bought koth maps, looked at the massive galaxy i was in tried to figure out where to start on building a trade route and logged off, its just not casual friendly enough where a new person would be able to easily grasp the concept of the game, and for me to put in the amount of effort i want to commit right now is impossible to play it that way.

Let me make this clear, im not saying the game should be catered to the casual crowd, i dont expect to be the top in the game with no effort at all(despite i was easily able to be top10 exp last game before i got bored and stopped moving)

So C.C. i see as more of a "hardcore" version game map for SMR.

i have not done anything in the other game so i can't commit on it.
i killed orca.