Well.. what you think?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Well.. what you think?

Post by RCK »

So in the interest of giving myself something to read (not much going on around here),

What are everyones thoughts on the current rounds that are running. Still early I know but would like some incites.

Feel free to post about the rounds, the code, smr in general, want to hear peoples opinions

-RCK
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Well.. what you think?

Post by N.ator »

i think the 1x is an awful game map. very poorly created.
ImageImage
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Well Ive stopped playing Colonial Conquest altogether, and have had little if any interest in playing Intimidation.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Okay, so about now someone is supposed to say something good....
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Want to explain why you think it is so awful?
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
ISA

Post by ISA »

Colonial Conquest: i like CC slow game, its just even more strategic and thought out, but its just seeming more and more like a ghost gal now tbh and for the few playing that means Koth gal is quite huge. Also there is still alot of trade calcing to be done further into the game, when a new peace is formed and better routes are opened up. (Assuming you are one of the players that uses the calc in the first place ofcourse)

+ Throw out the random initial racial benefit of the best trades going to one race in the launch. Make more Neutral ports that actually have relations aswell, which all races can use and build up. Give those Neutral ports the better initial trades, but also let players be able to mix and match with Neutral to Racial trades aswell.

+ When a peace is made, make the process of increasing global relations faster. Making the most of the few trades you can actually do with the slow building turns. You still have to increase your own personal relations with each ofcourse and still increase the global relations through political means of voting it up.

Intimidation: the fast game is just as good, just being podded and losing the money means a little less .. but people like to be carefree and not worry about turn efficiency and management. They prefer to have the turns to actually play alot and exactly when they want. Which is understandable because it is about having some fun and not having to wait ages for it, turn building wise.

In general, both games are great, fun and playable. Indeed. ..they are just lacking enough actual players to keep everyone completely interested, (Which is the bane for any online game, i know) esp with CC-slow, with such numbers hunting is very poor and time consuming waiting for anyone to actually move, and when they do its easy for them to check cpl and actually see that you are hunting them.

While there are people that can and do still hunt with ease, for some this takes hunting practically completely out of the gameplay and leaves them with the only viable options of either building planets or trading, which is entertaining for atleast some of the time. This is apart from when an alliance makes ops ofcourse, but then this is all still lost on the solo player :)
El_Guapo
Quiet One

Post by El_Guapo »

I hate to be another negative nancy here but I don't see the logic behind creating a map like CC when you are trying to rebuild your player base. I understand you are trying to make things interesting and challenging but this map goes beyond challenging and is just downright unfriendly. If I was a noob or a solo player or just in a crappy alliance I would have quit by now. Arming up burns too many turns, walking to a decent trade route burns too many turns, going to uno burns too many turns. This would have made a good fast game. Speaking of which, fast games are what you need to liven this game up. And I dont mean race wars or semi wars either. Also you could add some new ships to make things interesting. SMR has had basicly the same ship list since it was created, with the exeption of the 1.5 debacle. I could go on but I guess now I'm getting into what should be a different thread.....
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Slow games is a competely different tactic to fast games, it is suppose to burn turns, slow games is all about turn management and picking your targets or trade routes, if people dont get super 12x12 routes the game is no good.

I like CC prefer it to the fast game, because it makes me think.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

El_Guapo wrote:Also you could add some new ships to make things interesting. SMR has had basicly the same ship list since it was created, with the exeption of the 1.5 debacle. I could go on but I guess now I'm getting into what should be a different thread.....
I agree it should probably be in a different thread, but still, my personal opinion is that the ship list looks fairly balanced if you were to increase all the ship prices for example by a power of 2 to essentially separate out all the ships in the middle of the price range and make them worthwhile to use (at the moment the price difference becomes neglible so quickly that within a couple of days there's no point getting anything other than the ATM/PSF for walk trading, or DS/IST for jump trading, same with the combat ships). After there are currently plenty of ships in the ship list, and I see little point in adding more redundant ones, it'd be better just to make the current ones actually have a use at some point in the game - the start of the game is so short that they just don't get that chance.

Blade wrote:Slow games is a competely different tactic to fast games, it is suppose to burn turns, slow games is all about turn management and picking your targets or trade routes, if people dont get super 12x12 routes the game is no good.

I like CC prefer it to the fast game, because it makes me think.
Personally I agree with this because I have to watch what I do a bit rather than knowing I'll have all my turns back really quickly, it makes it more strategic for me which I like - but I know that not everyone has the same opinion (it's also useful because I work most the day and am away at weekends usually meaning I often have to plan my turns around my time as well as my playing around my turns)
El_Guapo
Quiet One

Post by El_Guapo »

Well Blade you make like the challenge but I think most people feel like the game should go click click clickity-click pew pew click click, with out so much thinking. Granted the thinkers, the people who put some effort in, should always be on top but everyone else should still be able to have fun. You can't sustain any kind of player base if the majority is not having fun. And as you can see from the posts so far there are some unhappy folks. Also you are looking at the game from a vet's perspective, newbies don't even know what to think about.
Imagine how much harder this map is for new players. 3 out of 4 ports say you can't trade there. you dont have mgu because you dont know about it. You don't have alliance mates that know jack about the game. nothing makes sense to you, so what do you do? you quit thats what.
If SMR still did vet games it would be good for that. Personally I feel like you are going to loose some potential new players and possibly some old ones with this map. Don't get me wrong though, I am playing and having fun but like i said, if i were a noob, a solo player or just in a crappy alliance I would have quit already.