New Interface FeedBack

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.

Poll for new interface

I like it
19%
Its good but the colors need changing
31%
I don't like it
25%
I like the old default layout better
25%

Total votes: 16

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

New Interface FeedBack

Post by Freon22 »

Ok so Page has put the new Interface up in the live game. What I would like is for players to try it, move around see how it feels. Then post your honest opinion on it.

Edit: I have changed the thread to a poll so please vote and leave feedback.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: New Interface FeedBack

Post by N.ator »

the right panel is way too wide!
ImageImage
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Right panel is to wide? Looks fine to me, wait what ship are you in. If its a ship with a long name then that maybe it. The ship name link calls the rightInfoShip and it has a font size of 1.15em. Maybe Page can change the font-size to 1.05em that way it will be just a little larger then the other fonts in that panel but not to much bigger. He would also have to look at the big class that is being used by some other links in that panel. You would not want the ship name to be smaller then say the Forces Link. Or maybe he can let the long ship names to wrap, if I am not mistaken the whole right panel has a nowrap on it.

Code: Select all

div.rightInfoShip a {     
     color: #000000;
     font-family: 'Bookman Old Style', serif;
     font-weight: bold;
     font-size: 1.15em;    
}
div.rightInfoShip a:hover {
     background: #cc9933;
}
SalvaNos
Quiet One

Post by SalvaNos »

The options available are rather competitive as my opinion generally falls between them all actually. To start off, I'd have to say it's nice to see change, the amber color of the panels mixes well with the black background as it's not too contrasting. I literally spend my whole day staring at the computer screen and having a well mixed color palette is always welcome as it brings less eye strain. The parts I dislike about this is some bits of text, as an example, the Protection: You are under FEDERAL protection. My opinion is that the three colors, black, white, and the blue that's used is too contrasting for my eyes and causes a slight headache. Some of the links seem a little bundled up, perhaps the best example I can give that of the top frame is when I click Alliance, with so many links to choose from, it seems cramped.

Similar to the old theme, I like how the icons look when compared with the amber color. It didn't appear too strange. I think the only thing I'd like to see a change is have a character limit per line, this could solve the problem with long ship names. I'd also wouldn't mind setting the weapon name font color just a little brighter so it wouldn't blend too much with its background color.

As I mentioned, my opinion generally falls between all of the options available. I like some of the colors, but not others. I also have a preference for the original theme as to me, it's less contrasting. I also must admit that I haven't gone through everything with the new theme, trading, raiding, planet busting, destroying forces, combat. Just going through each screen and seeing how that goes. So far I don't see any sort of problem with it, any grievances could be just from opinion of preferences.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Thanks SalvaNos, best feedback so far. This is the type of feedback that Page needs to adjust the layout.

The ones that only clicked an option in the poll. Really has not helped other then to show they like or don't like it. But to make it better Page really needs feedback!

Also here is another question. Which interface would be best for a new player that is just joining to see first?
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

I do like the Amber interface. However, I did have to adjust the size ratio in preferences because the top center box above the current sector map was all jumbled and unreadable. Once I adjusted that, it was fine.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Can you tell me what screen resolution were you using when it looked jumbled Grey Death?

Also I personally reckon the logout image needs updating to fit in a bit better :P
El_Guapo
Quiet One

Post by El_Guapo »

Is this the right thread to list problems with the default interface as well? Ever since the change I'm seeing ship's defenses in sector listed like:

20/

Instead of 20/18. Same with forces:

[
]

And yes i already hit ctrl f5 and cleared my cache.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

I'm guessing this is an issue with just IE6/7 as I'm pretty sure it's fine in IE8/FF/Chrome/etc, still 9.3% of the hits are still from IE6/7 so I'll see if I can figure out the issue :P However things will work a lot better (and faster too) if you upgrade to a browser that supports standards better.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Page wrote:Can you tell me what screen resolution were you using when it looked jumbled Grey Death?

Also I personally reckon the logout image needs updating to fit in a bit better :P
1024x768 on IE6 and IE7 cause work only lets me use 6 and at home I am using 7. Once I changed font size to 75% everything was good.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General