Alliance sizes

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: Alliance sizes

Post by JettJackson »

Beausoleil wrote:From an engineering perspective, it's never a good idea to redesign a system around attributes which are prone to change. The player base, in this case, is such an attribute; it's makeup and size will change, even though it often seems as though it won't, and gaming the code around what it is now could have disastrous effects for what it could be in the future.

There is also no guarantee that changing the alliance size would actually result in the game getting better; it could just as easily make the game worse. It's not worth the risk in finding out, given our already low numbers. Unless a lot of other people stand up and say they feel strongly about changing the alliance cap, it's probably best to leave it alone.
I agree with this post 100% and the alliance cap thing has been changed before, when it got down to 20 people complained of never having enough to op and run an alliance. Right now we are at our ideal number I think.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

My only thoughts are pretty soon(maybe a few games away) there will only be one "real" alliance if the current player trends continue. then the only oping thats going to happen are port raids.
i killed orca.
Beausoleil
Quiet One

Post by Beausoleil »

silverx2 wrote:My only thoughts are pretty soon(maybe a few games away) there will only be one "real" alliance if the current player trends continue. then the only oping thats going to happen are port raids.
Obligatory XKCD:

Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

This discussion happens every now and then, as silver says, but the problem is that the people that are still playing aren't interested in playing to win, they just want to play *with* certain people. As long as the player community doesn't want to do smaller alliances and the admins do not have the courage (or stupidity, depending on the way you look at it) to change it anyway, nothing is going to happen. The lack of leaders is not an issue, I think: I would come back if there were newbies to lead and I have no doubt that there are still lots of people playing that can lead and have done so succesfully in the past.

One other suggestion: yes, there is a minimum number for port raids and no, it isn't sensible to start adjusting, but no one ever said it has to be 9 *players* for a port raid. only 9 *ships*. What happened to the idea of NPC's? You could hire those to do your dirty work. Price can be made dependent on the aliance size, so that the option still exists when alliance cap goes up again, but gets ridiculously expensive.

And what is the status on advertising?

Edge

p.s. does JJ count as 2 as far as the alliance cap is concerned?
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Edge and leader...I shudder just thinking about it! :p

This game does not lack leaders, it lacks leadership.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

I love you too Blade.

And if this game lacks leadership, then when are you coming back?
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

I am done leading :)

Did say never again after KOTO but came back and did it once more and got pistol whipped. As for playing I could play on a very small basis but no one wants a part time hero. I have a business to setup and run.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Edgecrusher wrote:This discussion happens every now and then, as silver says, but the problem is that the people that are still playing aren't interested in playing to win, they just want to play *with* certain people. As long as the player community doesn't want to do smaller alliances and the admins do not have the courage (or stupidity, depending on the way you look at it) to change it anyway, nothing is going to happen. The lack of leaders is not an issue, I think: I would come back if there were newbies to lead and I have no doubt that there are still lots of people playing that can lead and have done so succesfully in the past.

One other suggestion: yes, there is a minimum number for port raids and no, it isn't sensible to start adjusting, but no one ever said it has to be 9 *players* for a port raid. only 9 *ships*. What happened to the idea of NPC's? You could hire those to do your dirty work. Price can be made dependent on the aliance size, so that the option still exists when alliance cap goes up again, but gets ridiculously expensive.

And what is the status on advertising?

Edge

p.s. does JJ count as 2 as far as the alliance cap is concerned?
-.- I count as 2 because I can do so much for the team...
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

As if I meant it any other way...