Race Roles/Niches

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Kard
Beta Tester

Re: Race Roles/Niches

Post by Kard »

Beausoleil wrote:
Kard wrote:Also maybe add a neutral raider that sucks but gets the job done. Something not quite as expensive as top racials, or as fast, but will suvive some med-high level ports and planets. Something like /16 with 5 HP, speed of 7, priced at like 8 mil..
Battle Cruiser comes close, if you up the defense and cost a little...
Ya but the BC fills a specific role too. The vision I've always seen SM/R striving for, are specific racial roles for each race, while having slightly less efficient neutral version of each role.

For example, Humans are the best at galaxy and minefield development. The HBC is a great utility ship (could maybe use a few more holds lol). Then there is a neutral ship that isn't quite as good, that fills the same role, so that all the other races can still perform that role, that ship being the BC. Its not as fast, not as many mines, but it does the job, plus its a bit cheaper.

If the entire game followed this same example, I think the racial roles/niches would really stand out, and the game would be well balanced. Each race having the best ship for that role, then there being neutral counterparts that are a little worse. But as it stands now, certain ships like the PSF, DC, and FU break this model. Thevian are supose to have the best racial hunter. Carapace has good forces, standard 5 HP, and the most speed. Then the DC comes along with more forces, more defence, same speed and a cloack, and the carapace loses all value lol. Or the Alskant have the ATM. Great trading ship, lots of forces, lots of defence to survive a couple shots or a stack, and great trade efficiency. But then the PSF comes along and poops all over it by being just as good at trading, and tons of defence. Then all the races except Alskant have racial raiders for opping and large scale battles, but the FU comes along and is on equal or better ground to every top racial. Ya its hella expensive, but still unbalancing.

I've always wanted to see a reworking or the shiplist, and maybe even weaponlist(thats for another thread) in order to make the game more immersing and dynamic. After all these years, I'm suprised there havn't been tweaks, other then adding the NIJ(my babies). I say very small tweaks to racial hunters and top racials. Scrap the DC, FU and PSF, Blockade runner could use a slight boost, along with maybe the cara, and improve the Illusion generator because it serves practicaly no purpose lol. You always have intel on an enemies ship. You know that its an EOS and not an IST lol. And if you some how scew up and dont, after one kill, your aliance now knows lol.

Thats my two cents on racial roles/niches
silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

Kard wrote:
Beausoleil wrote:
Kard wrote:Also maybe add a neutral raider that sucks but gets the job done. Something not quite as expensive as top racials, or as fast, but will suvive some med-high level ports and planets. Something like /16 with 5 HP, speed of 7, priced at like 8 mil..
Ya but the BC fills a specific role too. The vision I've always seen SM/R striving for, are specific racial roles for each race, while having slightly less efficient neutral version of each role.

For example, Humans are the best at galaxy and minefield development. The HBC is a great utility ship (could maybe use a few more holds lol). Then there is a neutral ship that isn't quite as good, that fills the same role, so that all the other races can still perform that role, that ship being the BC. Its not as fast, not as many mines, but it does the job, plus its a bit cheaper.

If the entire game followed this same example, I think the racial roles/niches would really stand out, and the game would be well balanced. Each race having the best ship for that role, then there being neutral counterparts that are a little worse. But as it stands now, certain ships like the PSF, DC, and FU break this model. Thevian are supose to have the best racial hunter. Carapace has good forces, standard 5 HP, and the most speed. Then the DC comes along with more forces, more defence, same speed and a cloack, and the carapace loses all value lol. Or the Alskant have the ATM. Great trading ship, lots of forces, lots of defence to survive a couple shots or a stack, and great trade efficiency. But then the PSF comes along and poops all over it by being just as good at trading, and tons of defence. Then all the races except Alskant have racial raiders for opping and large scale battles, but the FU comes along and is on equal or better ground to every top racial. Ya its hella expensive, but still unbalancing.

I've always wanted to see a reworking or the shiplist, and maybe even weaponlist(thats for another thread) in order to make the game more immersing and dynamic. After all these years, I'm suprised there havn't been tweaks, other then adding the NIJ(my babies). I say very small tweaks to racial hunters and top racials. Scrap the DC, FU and PSF, Blockade runner could use a slight boost, along with maybe the cara, and improve the Illusion generator because it serves practicaly no purpose lol. You always have intel on an enemies ship. You know that its an EOS and not an IST lol. And if you some how scew up and dont, after one kill, your aliance now knows lol.

great post
i killed orca.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Kard wrote:
Beausoleil wrote:

+1

you absoutely nailed it on the spot!

i remember in 1.5 there was talk about purely raiding ships! slow but big defense! and raiding weapons. what about these ships subside fu and dc?
ImageImage
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

DC and FU need to stay. FU is not an OP'ing ship it can not shoot big planets and its scary shooting a big port in one. It is good but not great in ship vs ship combat. DC could lose some mines so its not the best hunter AND miner, but its easy to kill with a warbird if the cloak isnt too high. The price tags are fairly exorbitant with the current price and ineffectiveness of mines which eats away alliance's money faster than they can make it(without a 28x money route).

IG is useful, dunno what more you could do with it maybe change your face to green on an enemy's local map? Would be too powerful then but is a good illusion.

ATM is better than the PSF by a little bit, but PSF should be taken out of the game.
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

seldum wrote:DC and FU need to stay. FU is not an OP'ing ship it can not shoot big planets and its scary shooting a big port in one. It is good but not great in ship vs ship combat. DC could lose some mines so its not the best hunter AND miner, but its easy to kill with a warbird if the cloak isnt too high. The price tags are fairly exorbitant with the current price and ineffectiveness of mines which eats away alliance's money faster than they can make it(without a 28x money route).

IG is useful, dunno what more you could do with it maybe change your face to green on an enemy's local map? Would be too powerful then but is a good illusion.

ATM is better than the PSF by a little bit, but PSF should be taken out of the game.
Forget for a moment that the DC is BOTH the best hunter and best miner. Why should a neutral be the best hunter OR the best miner? That should be a racial ships job. The best hunter should be a racial hunter, like the Cara. The best miner should be the HBC.

As for the IG. Have it illusion its scan rating too. Or maybe have it be able to Illusion a couple friend ships IS, but when scanned or fired upon they arent there. Im sure someone could think of a useful function for it.
silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

seldum wrote:DC and FU need to stay. FU is not an OP'ing ship it can not shoot big planets and its scary shooting a big port in one. It is good but not great in ship vs ship combat. DC could lose some mines so its not the best hunter AND miner, but its easy to kill with a warbird if the cloak isnt too high. The price tags are fairly exorbitant with the current price and ineffectiveness of mines which eats away alliance's money faster than they can make it(without a 28x money route).

how awesome would it be if you could IG yourself to be another player, so everyone see's you as the person you are IG'd as, same name, same green examine, but with a fire icon on the next page.
i killed orca.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

The only way to make IG better is to take out the SMS ability of IG and then allow IG to be scannable, meaning if they IG as a hurt EOS then they scan as such.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

i agree. dc shouldnt be best hunter and miner!

human should be best miner
wq should be best cloacking hunter and warbird ship
and thevien should be best hunter
ImageImage