Making Trading harder: Take 2

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Re: Making Trading harder: Take 2

Post by Harry Krishna »

Making trading harder for the people who know how to trade is a bad idea. Trading is boring as it is. Not because it's easy, but because it is just boring. Making it riskier for traders, i.e. easier for hunter to kill, with moving buttons or whatever is not going to help how boring trading is but will make it more annoying for players. If you want easy kills just make all the trade ships /3 defense or less and be done with it.

Making trading hard(er) for people who have never played before is a terrible idea. Trading is the first thing you learn how to do in this game, so why would you want to make it harder for the new players from the start?

The real problem is one this community has been struggling with for 4 years: no new players who stick around. Solve that one, and you'll have lots of happy hunters.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

Harry Krishna wrote:Making trading harder for the people who know how to trade is a bad idea. Trading is boring as it is. Not because it's easy, but because it is just boring. Making it riskier for traders, i.e. easier for hunter to kill, with moving buttons or whatever is not going to help how boring trading is but will make it more annoying for players. If you want easy kills just make all the trade ships /3 defense or less and be done with it.

Making trading hard(er) for people who have never played before is a terrible idea. Trading is the first thing you learn how to do in this game, so why would you want to make it harder for the new players from the start?

The real problem is one this community has been struggling with for 4 years: no new players who stick around. Solve that one, and you'll have lots of happy hunters.

Too late to the convo. Trade ships were changed, and it had a great positive effect on trading and the game in general. It didnt however make trading impossible. Proof of that is I have been attacked 3 times by hunters while trading in the new tradeships, with /6 defence, and survived. :D

New Map is awesome too. Just had an almost 40 ship battle.
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

I think that had little to do with the map and more to do with the current alliance leaders.

But I digress.

I think it might be a bit early to determine whether or not the adjustments to the trade ships is helpful or not. Personally I like the changes. Fewer holds is making players log on more often in order to trade.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

Id like to see a revamp of trading to make it more interesting. Actually tweaking trading isnt all that difficult its balance out the rest of the game around those changes that is tough.

If we took the cap off S/D generation, made high demand raise price paid and make xp generation based on a split between percent profit and total money generated(as to not overly reward trading food routes). This would reward traders for going out and finding ports that have been ignored and add a level of excitement upon finding some long neglected lvl 9 with 50000 demand for lux and narcs or something.

The downsides are it would utterly screw with hunting and other such pursuits as they are and there probably should be some sort of a bar related system to point traders to ports with high demand.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

A different map will show the true change of the trade ships, this map makes hunting absolutely pointless. As everything is way too spread out.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

i think trader would be more fun if routes changed! so you had to keep finding new routes.. this would mean though that somedays youw ould have really good routes and other days you wouldnt... you wouldnt have to rescout it, once you have scouted the second once. and i think it should change every 2-4 days...
ImageImage