SMR Meet UK - Winter 2011

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Beausoleil
Quiet One

SMR Meet UK - Winter 2011

Post by Beausoleil »

It's been discussed in hushed tones and in dark corners for some time, and now we are bringing it to public discussion.

There will be an SMR meet held somewhere in the UK this winter.

Why the UK, you ask? Because we have a fairly high concentration of players there, and because our non-British euro players have all stated they would be willing to fly there. What will take place? Who knows. I imagine a lot of drinking and conversing, and possibly other activities depending on the time and place.

I have spoken to many parties who have claimed interest in attending. I'd like this thread to act as an official place to declare interest, so if think you could attend such a thing, please state so here and follow the discussion.

For those who are interested, we need some input from you in order to help plan this out. We need to do some planning ahead of time so that people can set aside the time and money to fly over for this event. I'd like us to have everything decided ASAP. To begin with, we need:

1) A city in the UK to meet at. This will probably end up being largely a matter of discussion between our UK players. A place should be determined that a majority of the interested UK players could travel to, and that is also easily accessible to those arriving from out of country. If you are a UK player, please provide suggestions on what city or cities you can meet in.
2) A date and time to meet. Fairly self-explanatory - should pick a day everyone can fit into their schedule. I would ask that people post their availability, if it is limited, onto this thread. This can help us determine a fitting day to meet.
3) A location within that city to meet. Once number one has been determined, we should figure out a good venue to host our event. This will of course also be influenced by how many people RSVP to attend. For my part, I was thinking we could probably just meet at a nice pub/restaurant, but by no means should this be considered the only option. Any ideas on specific places to meet should be posted here once we have answered our first question.

If it isn't clear, I intend to fly over from the US for this, so here are my contributions: while I don't have much to offer about #1, I do know that Bristol has been proposed, as I think we have a few UK players in that area. For #2, I would ask that we do a date between December 10th and January 6th, as I am between semesters during that time period.
MrSpock
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: SMR Meet UK - Winter 2011

Post by MrSpock »

Count me in. I'm trying to be there and i'll drag all german players i can find with me.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your trader will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the creator of SMR.
milly22

Post by milly22 »

yep we'd love to have u yanks over here :P

bristol is good for me and ACD ( we hope to have a flat there soon) who knows there may even be a little floor space for ppl wishing to save a few $$$

as for time and date i will let others discus, due to im quite happy with whatever

slight reminder ( my bday is the 19th of december :P )
Swagman
Quiet One

Post by Swagman »

I can attend if it falls on a day before the 8th November or after 15th December, for those 5 weeks in between, I'll be touring New Zealand :D

Bristol is an option.

Previous meets have been in London of course, with easy flight and transport links, and we've met up usually at Leicester Square..

I'm easy for location, as long as the day fits :angry:
milly22

Post by milly22 »

the way the riots are going there wont be a london by then :P
Andii

Post by Andii »

London is an option. However it can be expensive to travel to. Bristol or Bath would be preferable. Both have cheap accommodation and easy links with the airport and plenty of railway stations.

I might be able to arrange accomodation for a few people if the interest arises. However this would be slightly out of town.

I am game for this. I just need to know in advanced for dates.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

ISN'T THE UK ON FIRE???????

I HAVE AN AVERSION TO GOING INTO BUILDINGS THAT ARE ON FIRE.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

We know, we have tried many times to coax you into them to no avail :(

Besides that London/Bristol/Bath are all fine for me, with London likely to be the easiest. Reading would also be fine but I'm not sure that's any easier to get to than Bristol/London for any of the people who would have to travel.

In terms of date I have no idea, it's way too far ahead for me to say for sure what will be going on but I should be able to make time I'd expect.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

I'll be touring New Zealand :D
Screw you Swag :P
<3

I cant afford any of the flights after Dec 19th, in essence I'd be flying back on that day.
Rest - I know nothing about :P
Use The Force(s)!
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Just as long as someone mails me a towel from Bath.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General