Why is trashtalk not encouraged?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Why is trashtalk not encouraged?

Post by Purify »

A legitimate question not meant to be flame bait. In any online game I've played trash talk is a big part of the fun. You get so much more pleasure beating someone you dislike than someone you like or are indifferent about. So why in this game is this not encouraged at all.... and in fact is openly discouraged?

I can only think it is because some (probably the ones with power) don't want to play in that type of atmosphere. But I know there are many who would love to. Should we revisit this idea?
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Why is trashtalk not encouraged?

Post by RCK »

Personally, I dont have a problem with good old fashion trash talking. And have supported 'offenders' in at least one case against the other admins.

That being said, there can sometimes be a fine line between trash talking and personal attacks which as admins is a grey area that can be ruled either way depending on the admin. Dispite our best efforts NOT to be biased, there will always be comments that will get some admins riled up vs others that don't see it as a big deal.

So basically, trash talk all you want, but if you cross a line, be prepared to pay the price.
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

I agree. I also think there is a distinction between "bashing" an admin ruling and having honest discussion about it.

If I think an admin decision was a bad decision, I should be able to discuss why I think it was a bad decision. I think it is actually a positive thing as long as it is kept civil (ie no name calling, etc)
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Azool wrote:If I think an admin decision was a bad decision, I should be able to discuss why I think it was a bad decision. I think it is actually a positive thing as long as it is kept civil (ie no name calling, etc)
Azool I would not want anyone to get ban point thinking because of this thread they can complain about something. The best thing would be to have the Admin add something to the rules that would allow players to talk about an admin action.
b) Any public complaints of an administrator, webboard mod, or chat mod's actions will result in 5-40 points on a case to case basis.

XII. Appealing
a) Should a member believe that they have wrongly received a ban or points, they can request an admin (in private) to appeal their case. Should this appeal be granted, they will be allowed temporary access to a special area on the webboard to give their side of the case. Any other players who wish to give input can state it to an administrator, who may or may not allow them to give their input as well.
b) Any public demands for an appeal could add on an additional penalty of 20 points to the previous amount of points or in the case of one player publicly demanding an appeal for another result in a penalty of up to 20 points.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

I've been meaning to look into a revamp of the rules just never get the time these days
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

That rule is the most tyranny an admin/mod could demonstrate in an online community. There should be conditions under which the complaining party should get additional ban points, but definitely not for asking in a civil manner about a decision.
Use The Force(s)!
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Yes, and I think you'll find that every single person who has publicly demanded an appeal has not done so in a civil manner and has instead done so in a very hostile way and attempted to essentially bully us into changing a decision. Out of all the people who have asked privately for an appeal the majority have had it granted and the punishment reduced due to them being civil and following the rules (those who didn't get it were those who decided to PM me throwing insults and being abusive as well as some of them trying to use threats).
In essence the only people who have not followed this rule are those who wouldn't have deserved an appeal imo.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Page wrote:Yes, and I think you'll find that every single person who has publicly demanded an appeal has not done so in a civil manner and has instead done so in a very hostile way and attempted to essentially bully us into changing a decision. Out of all the people who have asked privately for an appeal the majority have had it granted and the punishment reduced due to them being civil and following the rules (those who didn't get it were those who decided to PM me throwing insults and being abusive as well as some of them trying to use threats).
In essence the only people who have not followed this rule are those who wouldn't have deserved an appeal imo.
I second that.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Page wrote:Yes, and I think you'll find that every single person who has publicly demanded an appeal has not done so in a civil manner and has instead done so in a very hostile way and attempted to essentially bully us into changing a decision. Out of all the people who have asked privately for an appeal the majority have had it granted and the punishment reduced due to them being civil and following the rules (those who didn't get it were those who decided to PM me throwing insults and being abusive as well as some of them trying to use threats).
This true however, lets look at it rationally how do you expect people to react when they have been banned, with sunshine and teddy bears? I mean it should come as no surprise people get mad when they are banned.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

i guess its not encouraged because people take this game to personally and things will start.
ImageImage