Why is trashtalk not encouraged?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Why is trashtalk not encouraged?

Post by RCK »

JettJackson wrote:
Page wrote:Yes, and I think you'll find that every single person who has publicly demanded an appeal has not done so in a civil manner and has instead done so in a very hostile way and attempted to essentially bully us into changing a decision. Out of all the people who have asked privately for an appeal the majority have had it granted and the punishment reduced due to them being civil and following the rules (those who didn't get it were those who decided to PM me throwing insults and being abusive as well as some of them trying to use threats).
In essence the only people who have not followed this rule are those who wouldn't have deserved an appeal imo.
This true however, lets look at it rationally how do you expect people to react when they have been banned, with sunshine and teddy bears? I mean it should come as no surprise people get mad when they are banned.
That's like saying its okay to yell at a police officer when you get pulled over... Don't know if you've tried that, but I wouldn't recommended it.
Beausoleil
Quiet One

Post by Beausoleil »

JettJackson wrote:This true however, lets look at it rationally how do you expect people to react when they have been banned, with sunshine and teddy bears? I mean it should come as no surprise people get mad when they are banned.
Quite simply, if people are too immature to realize that they've been banned for a reason and get angry about matters, I feel no sympathy toward them. At a certain point personal responsibility enters the fray and the actions, behaviors, and speech you exhibit on someone else's game are subject to judgment. Grief all you want, but this isn't a democracy, nor should it be.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

RCK wrote:
That's like saying its okay to yell at a police officer when you get pulled over... Don't know if you've tried that, but I wouldn't recommended it.
Beausoleil wrote: Quite simply, if people are too immature to realize that they've been banned for a reason and get angry about matters, I feel no sympathy toward them. At a certain point personal responsibility enters the fray and the actions, behaviors, and speech you exhibit on someone else's game are subject to judgment. Grief all you want, but this isn't a democracy, nor should it be.

Not saying it is right to do it, all I am saying is that I understand why it happens sometimes.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

I totaly dislike how strictly this forum is moderated. It stifles all conversation and interaction between alliances. It also allows moderators to behave outside of their purpose for whatever reason, and target people, or close threads early that they dislike or are biased too, and much more.

HOWEVER, I also see the need for the strictness. If this forum was at the lax end of the spectrum, imgaine how this community would behave

1) Imagine the threads that would've taken place during the draft round. The kind of messages Edgecrusher was recieving ingame, are beyond inappropriate, in any environment. Those would have been on this forum instead.

2) Imagine the threads that would've been made during Game Decennial Resurgence Part (38), when one side was losing, and all the bashing one side was doing in #smr, and elsewhere, about the map and its creator, despite the fact that everyone was enjoying it but a few.

3) Imagine the threads after the locations got added, changing the entire dynamic of the map, without authorization by anyone, that greatly affected the winning team. I'll tell you right now, I would've started some myself. I was furious. To this day, i dont see why the admins think they have the right or privallige to critique every map and change it accordinly, and if they dont get this "right", they destroy the round. There was lots of healthy trash talk leading into that round and my side was pumped. Then we kill 26 ships in one op, all 24 of the other sides ships, plus 2 who came back and reshiped. That all got erased, and for what. I'll never know.

4) LOOK at the thread that was just started the other day, basically bashing Azool about his map again, by the same alliance again, once they lost a couple fleet fights. It got locked because this forum is so strict, but had it not, i for sure had my 2 cents to put in, which would've been along the lines of "where were these threads when you destroyed our fleet twice and had a 30 kill lead advantage and we couldn't muster more then 7 for an op, and had no planets. But now that we are evening the score, this thread is made".

This community, nor any online community for that matter, is capable of being self policing. I'll be the first to stand up and say we suck, and I am part of the problem. It is the anonimity of the internet. People behave like animals, but if they were behind you in the grocery line, would be the most polite individual. This forum needs to be strict IMO. Too many people cry and rage when they are losing, then tell the other side to GTFO and GET GOOD, when they are winning. There is no winning for losing with some people in this community.

I was in video game design for a year before switching to electronic engineering, and first thing we learned was the success of MMOs is directly linked to how active the forums are. If the forums are dead, so is the game. If there was a vote or poll or something, I would say some loosing up needs to be done with the forums, BUT not much, not with this community. Being so strict hurts the player base, but so does the attitude of this community, if its allowed to run wild on these forums.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Kard wrote:I totaly dislike how strictly this forum is moderated. It stifles all conversation and interaction between alliances. It also allows moderators to behave outside of their purpose for whatever reason, and target people, or close threads early that they dislike or are biased too, and much more.

HOWEVER, I also see the need for the strictness. If this forum was at the lax end of the spectrum, imgaine how this community would behave

1) Imagine the threads that would've taken place during the draft round. The kind of messages Edgecrusher was recieving ingame, are beyond inappropriate, in any environment. Those would have been on this forum instead.

2) Imagine the threads that would've been made during Game Decennial Resurgence Part (38), when one side was losing, and all the bashing one side was doing in #smr, and elsewhere, about the map and its creator, despite the fact that everyone was enjoying it but a few.

3) Imagine the threads after the locations got added, changing the entire dynamic of the map, without authorization by anyone, that greatly affected the winning team. I'll tell you right now, I would've started some myself. I was furious. To this day, i dont see why the admins think they have the right or privallige to critique every map and change it accordinly, and if they dont get this "right", they destroy the round. There was lots of healthy trash talk leading into that round and my side was pumped. Then we kill 26 ships in one op, all 24 of the other sides ships, plus 2 who came back and reshiped. That all got erased, and for what. I'll never know.

4) LOOK at the thread that was just started the other day, basically bashing Azool about his map again, by the same alliance again, once they lost a couple fleet fights. It got locked because this forum is so strict, but had it not, i for sure had my 2 cents to put in, which would've been along the lines of "where were these threads when you destroyed our fleet twice and had a 30 kill lead advantage and we couldn't muster more then 7 for an op, and had no planets. But now that we are evening the score, this thread is made".

This community, nor any online community for that matter, is capable of being self policing. I'll be the first to stand up and say we suck, and I am part of the problem. It is the anonimity of the internet. People behave like animals, but if they were behind you in the grocery line, would be the most polite individual. This forum needs to be strict IMO. Too many people cry and rage when they are losing, then tell the other side to GTFO and GET GOOD, when they are winning. There is no winning for losing with some people in this community.

I was in video game design for a year before switching to electronic engineering, and first thing we learned was the success of MMOs is directly linked to how active the forums are. If the forums are dead, so is the game. If there was a vote or poll or something, I would say some loosing up needs to be done with the forums, BUT not much, not with this community. Being so strict hurts the player base, but so does the attitude of this community, if its allowed to run wild on these forums.
1. If the messages he was receiving were as bad as you say they were they should have been reported.
2. Not sure what this is all about?
3. Admins have authorization to look over the maps and should be able to, that is part of being an admin. As those stats from part 1 were not erased.
4. That thread was made before you busted us and was made by someone who wasn't even on that planet that you did bust. Also the thread was a perfectly fine thread especially since the previous thread that Azool had posted had questions directed towards him that he chose not to answer. It is about accountability especially when that was one of the main reasons of posting the original thread Azool posted, answering questions and being accountable for the map.

Also a lot of this post is purely your thoughts against one alliance. This game isn't just one alliance vs another, it would be nice if we could stop trying to make it seem like it is. As for the forum and people posting, the problem is people don't care enough about the day to days of the game to post on the forum, and this is just something that is probably not going to change.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Kard wrote:I totaly dislike how strictly this forum is moderated. It stifles all conversation and interaction between alliances. It also allows moderators to behave outside of their purpose for whatever reason, and target people, or close threads early that they dislike or are biased too, and much more.

Not sure how you can claim this forum is "strictly moderated", yes we watch for potential issues, giving warnings, and were warnings are ignored threads are locked. Really when it comes to forums, for the most part this one is pretty 'normal' in terms of moderation IMO.

Kard wrote: 1) Imagine the threads that would've taken place during the draft round. The kind of messages Edgecrusher was recieving ingame, are beyond inappropriate, in any environment. Those would have been on this forum instead.
If Edge had a problem with the mail he was receiving he could easily report it for it to be followed up on, OR simply blacklist players. As has been previously ruled, the blacklist is in place for players to 'ignore' those that are insulting and/or rude and admins will only step in were warranted. Additionally 'fishing' for bans against players by reporting mail in excess is not tolerated, the bottom line is, if you don’t want to receive 'inappropriate' mails from specific players, blacklist them.
Kard wrote: 2) Imagine the threads that would've been made during Game Decennial Resurgence Part (38), when one side was losing, and all the bashing one side was doing in #smr, and elsewhere, about the map and its creator, despite the fact that everyone was enjoying it but a few.
As has always been our policy unless attacks are viewed as personal and out of hand they are welcome on the forum. The fact that these things didn't appear on the forum last round is actually surprising IMO.

Kard wrote: 3) Imagine the threads after the locations got added, changing the entire dynamic of the map, without authorization by anyone, that greatly affected the winning team. I'll tell you right now, I would've started some myself. I was furious. To this day, i dont see why the admins think they have the right or privallige to critique every map and change it accordinly, and if they dont get this "right", they destroy the round. There was lots of healthy trash talk leading into that round and my side was pumped. Then we kill 26 ships in one op, all 24 of the other sides ships, plus 2 who came back and reshiped. That all got erased, and for what. I'll never know.
This statement is full of flaws from the beginning. Firstly, 'authorization' is what the admin team is about. A vote was held and as a result the locations were added. Considerations as to which team was winning or not did not come into the equation. It was deemed that a restart of the round was the most fair outcome for both teams, the fact that that did not work out for one side as well as it did the other speaks more to the sportsmanship and teamwork of the players currently 'winning'.

As for your comment, "hy the admins think they have the right or privilege to critique every map and change it accordingly". As you mention further down this post, you were going to school for Game design and therefore must be aware of the definition on Administrator. It is the PLAYERS privilege to play a map that is created/opened by the administrators.

As for your kills, those stats were left intact, so in the end you still have credit for those.
Kard wrote: 4) LOOK at the thread that was just started the other day, basically bashing Azool about his map again, by the same alliance again, once they lost a couple fleet fights. It got locked because this forum is so strict, but had it not, i for sure had my 2 cents to put in, which would've been along the lines of "where were these threads when you destroyed our fleet twice and had a 30 kill lead advantage and we couldn't muster more then 7 for an op, and had no planets. But now that we are evening the score, this thread is made".
Really i got nothing to say to this... thread was deemed to be getting out of control and hence was locked.

Kard wrote: This community, nor any online community for that matter, is capable of being self policing. I'll be the first to stand up and say we suck, and I am part of the problem. It is the anonimity of the internet. People behave like animals, but if they were behind you in the grocery line, would be the most polite individual. This forum needs to be strict IMO. Too many people cry and rage when they are losing, then tell the other side to GTFO and GET GOOD, when they are winning. There is no winning for losing with some people in this community.

So you have spent the last 4 points, saying that the forum is too 'strict' then at the end say that the community HAS to be policed strictly as there is no self control and people dont know how to handle themselves on the forum/game. Make up your mind?

In most cases LEGITIMATE discussions are aloud to continue providing they do not turn into a 'flame war' which is what happens 90% of the time that threads get locked.

**Fixed spelling errors as page is a spelling nazi
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

JettJackson wrote:
1. If the messages he was receiving were as bad as you say they were they should have been reported.
2. Not sure what this is all about?
3. Admins have authorization to look over the maps and should be able to, that is part of being an admin. As those stats from part 1 were not erased.
4. That thread was made before you busted us and was made by someone who wasn't even on that planet that you did bust. Also the thread was a perfectly fine thread especially since the previous thread that Azool had posted had questions directed towards him that he chose not to answer. It is about accountability especially when that was one of the main reasons of posting the original thread Azool posted, answering questions and being accountable for the map.

Also a lot of this post is purely your thoughts against one alliance. This game isn't just one alliance vs another, it would be nice if we could stop trying to make it seem like it is. As for the forum and people posting, the problem is people don't care enough about the day to days of the game to post on the forum, and this is just something that is probably not going to change.
Not all of us like to get other players banned, regardless of the appropriateness of the messages involved. I know you have sent me a few things that are quite over the limit, I do not report because I do not feel the consequences will match the transgression.

As Kard said, most of us were enjoying the map, it was a nice refreshing change of pace. Admins did have the ability to check the map before it went live, and chose not to. That is the decision you made, and then questioned it later. Regardless, the thread posted by Puri was an attempt at trolling, plain and simple. There were no questions in it that would be answered by anybody with a brain as the responses would have been, oh ok then, we are parking here, here, and here, and will be following this strategy. You may think other people are dumb, and thats ok, its that thinking that lets us win all the time feel free to keep it up!

You can call them "Legitimate" questions all you want, but then you have no right to get mad at me for trolling you back in your own thread.
Naeblis
Quiet One

Post by Naeblis »

I still don't understand y'alls definition of most. I saw far more people who disliked the map. As it is we have played on it a bit now and proved the thing is just to hard to get around to be fun. To big and to many planets.

As for Kard. Get over it. I hated they reset the game as well. I was vociferous about it. However it has been nearly a month, and nothing is gonna change.

As to the original topic. Trash talk is fine. I do plenty of it. But i do it hoping the recipient gets the joke. We can have fun with it, but things can quickly spiral out of hand. There lies the problem. Everyone takes a bit of harassment differently. We have to keep things within a boundary that keeps the game fun. We are a small player base and cannot afford to alienate anyone.
Master of the lightenings, rider on the storm, wearer of a crown of swords, spinner-out of fate. Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time, may learn the truth too late.Galactic Vampire
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

the570z wrote: Not all of us like to get other players banned, regardless of the appropriateness of the messages involved. I know you have sent me a few things that are quite over the limit, I do not report because I do not feel the consequences will match the transgression.
There is a blacklist for a reason. Need i say more?
the570z wrote: As Kard said, most of us were enjoying the map, it was a nice refreshing change of pace. Admins did have the ability to check the map before it went live, and chose not to. That is the decision you made, and then questioned it later. Regardless, the thread posted by Puri was an attempt at trolling, plain and simple. There were no questions in it that would be answered by anybody with a brain as the responses would have been, oh ok then, we are parking here, here, and here, and will be following this strategy. You may think other people are dumb, and thats ok, its that thinking that lets us win all the time feel free to keep it up!

You can call them "Legitimate" questions all you want, but then you have no right to get mad at me for trolling you back in your own thread.
Stating things that you cannot know is a little rude. Due to an administration 'oversight' the map was not available to be reviewed before the game went live.

As for the rest... I have nothing further to say...
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

the570z wrote: Not all of us like to get other players banned, regardless of the appropriateness of the messages involved. I know you have sent me a few things that are quite over the limit, I do not report because I do not feel the consequences will match the transgression.

As Kard said, most of us were enjoying the map, it was a nice refreshing change of pace. Admins did have the ability to check the map before it went live, and chose not to. That is the decision you made, and then questioned it later. Regardless, the thread posted by Puri was an attempt at trolling, plain and simple. There were no questions in it that would be answered by anybody with a brain as the responses would have been, oh ok then, we are parking here, here, and here, and will be following this strategy. You may think other people are dumb, and thats ok, its that thinking that lets us win all the time feel free to keep it up!

RCK pretty much summed up my thoughts on this with the post above.