New Map Discussion for Next Game

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: New Map Discussion for Next Game

Post by N.ator »

like it! perfectly even!
ImageImage
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

The problem is all the weapon shops would be in the center gal, which would be too favorable for hunters. having a centralized location to easily hunt/mine critical locations. Plus your connections of racials is too random, and would promote too many random peaces. If you clustered it more along the lines of Creo-Salv Human-WQ Thev-Nij Alskant-Ikky it would make more sense.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

People always complain that nobody gets Ikky or skant peace, Seems to me paring them up with a more popular race might just accomplish that.
collider

Post by collider »

JettJackson wrote:The problem is all the weapon shops would be in the center gal,...
I already said: that was a mistake in the first version and must be changed
JettJackson wrote:Plus your connections of racials is too random, ...
I made the image with non-matching pairs, since it is much easier to make those than equal matching pairs:
Of course, Human/Thev or Human/WQH is a good match weapon-wise, as is Creo/Salv. But Ikkies or Skant don't have such a match and Nij have all the racial weps they need. And if there are some very good pairs and some bad ones in such a map, even more people would go for the races that are already favored in most games.
But it looks like the racial pair should be subject to a discussion of its own - if the general structure would be approved.
collider

Post by collider »

I also want to add some (reworked) specifications to my second variant ("Racial Hegemony too"):
-- Central galaxy: smaller (5x5 or 6x6), only most sectors with fed buoy (UG should be there as well - I forgot that previously), only 1 CA, 2 UNO, Hardware/Ship Shops, but no shops for "major" weapons (shops for only small guns should be OK though - maybe HHG/Nuke as well)
-- Racials: a bit larger (13x13 Skant, 11x11 others), 2 warps between paired races (single warp to the others), 1 UNO (plus the racial UNO/HW near HQ of course), 2 Banks, weapons for the other race of the pair (alternative: random weapons), random chance for CA/additional UNO.
-- Neutrals/Planet Galaxies: (11x29), but still cylindrical (barrier at the short ends) and warps at one of the short ends. Random ports, random weapons, random chance for CA or/and UNO, 7 planets.

The random CAs/UNOs in racials/neutrals might cause some problems or need manual tuning. But I think they become necessary with the inceased size of the neutrals.
The reason for placing the major weapon shops not into the central galaxy have already been discussed here.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

collider wrote:
JettJackson wrote:The problem is all the weapon shops would be in the center gal,...
I already said: that was a mistake in the first version and must be changed
Noting your changes though you keep the critical guns in the central gal which would still benefit those hunting from fed very much so and including a CA there makes the level 5 guns easily mineable and huntable by hunters. Plus the small nature of the gal makes it easily traversed from racial to racial by a hunter, comparatively to my map where the racials would connect to a large neutral gal making it more difficult to hunt multiple racials at one time.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

The way I read it was that the center galaxy was going to be mostly fed and what wasn't would still be locations anyway.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Page wrote:The way I read it was that the center galaxy was going to be mostly fed and what wasn't would still be locations anyway.
If that's the case it won't be mineable but it still would favor hunters by a lot with respect to close proximity from gal to gal.

Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

Ok, here is my idea for a map for next game.

4 racials, with 2 races per racial. Each racial is a 13x13, with port race even distributed between the two races inhabiting the racial. 50-60% port density, with generic/racial weapon shops. Racial warps use a cyclic set-up (ie skant/creo connects to human/ikk and thev/wq) and each racial has 1 warp to large neutral. Sectors have medium connectivity. 3 banks per racial.

1 large neutral: 28x28 with all lvl 5 weapons and 3 unoes. Mixed port races at a density of 10-15%. Other weapon shops scattered throughout (whatever is done normally. Never used a map creator, so I am not sure on all the specifics). 2 Ca's in this gal and 4 banks. Sectors have medium-low connectivity.

3 planet galaxies, 8x8 with 1 bar, no unos or weaps, and 25-30% port density and low connectivity. 8 planets.

Game speed would probably 1.5, with max turns at 650.

I know the map seems a bit small, but I think it is a start.

First time making a map, so comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
Beausoleil
Quiet One

Post by Beausoleil »

I like it, Bouncer. +1