New Map Discussion for Next Game

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
SpaceSock
Quiet One

Re: New Map Discussion for Next Game

Post by SpaceSock »

i like bouncers map...alot actually. It doesnt need a crappy tunnel. JD was meant to go from galaxy to galaxy. Just because the vast majority play anything other than human, or dont get fed ships is no reason to beat down the ones that do. No one will be hunting early from a FW, a dessy cant hunt with no scouts or mines, and HBC only has 4 weapons. Stop making JD useless.
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

The goal of my map is to try and fuel a planet gal vs planet gal type of match. That way, when you want to go somewhere looking for the enemy, you don't have to burn 50 turns seeding a bunch of warps. Of course, it only works if more than 1 alliance goes for planets.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

Next question: Will the new map have starting NPC forces/planets? Is this a map design decision? Or a game design decision? (Not sure if this is the right place to bring up the discussion, can move to a new thread if needed)
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Azool wrote:Next question: Will the new map have starting NPC forces/planets? Is this a map design decision? Or a game design decision? (Not sure if this is the right place to bring up the discussion, can move to a new thread if needed)
I think that probably wont this next game.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Well it's not an option in the uni gen, so it's not technically a map maker decision, however it's not really supported in the game at all, so really it's more of a special game thing than anything. The planets at least can definitely be supported properly in the mapmaker if there is support for that (there's still a placeholder for it), at which point it would be a mapmaker decision.
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

It'd be fairly easy to add a section to add forces to a galaxy as well. My question isn't really what is possible, but more so: Should these options become map designer choices (and have them coded into the Uni gen), or should they be left as 1-time/special request type things?
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Azool wrote:It'd be fairly easy to add a section to add forces to a galaxy as well. My question isn't really what is possible, but more so: Should these options become map designer choices (and have them coded into the Uni gen), or should they be left as 1-time/special request type things?
Personally I think they should be for a special game or not at all as they serve little purpose other than annoyance.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all