Current Jump Drive Formula

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Page
SMR Coder

Re: Current Jump Drive Formula

Post by Page »

Incognito wrote:Jumping introduces the hazard of landing in a stack of mines though so there is some risk involved. IST's die all the time from landing in a stack of 50 and trying to get out.
Very true, and the misjumps with the new formula are likely to be significantly higher than before, so this is even more likely to happen, especially when covering large distances.

Azool, the formula is affected by level, so if you clone the spreadsheet and edit the player level you can see the changing effect by level. Also it is designed so that the jump will use less turns overall than walking, but have the risk of some pretty serious misjumps.

In terms of the new formula using less turns than the old, that's not really quite so simple. With the old the absolute maximum misjump (for cross galaxy) was 8 at level 1, that meant cross galaxy jumps of 23 turns always worked out at least even turns and generally better than even, for same galaxy jumps it always works out at least even if you jumped 15 or more sectors. With the new one below level 25 it can always work out as costing more turns (although it generally won't), and it comes with more danger.
With the proposed new formulae, for lvl 1 23 sectors then you can end up using 4 more turns to jump than walk, with the old you were guaranteed at least even and at absolute best at any level you save 1 more turn than with the old.
As the distance gets further the worse it gets for the new comparatively, although it is made up by the fact that you can go wherever you want (and also you can get better benefits for being high exp when jumping - and risking losing that exp to mines).
So yes you will have the potential to save more turns than with the old when jumping across multiple galaxies, but you will also put yourself at a much higher risk to make up for that, and the fact that jump ships are generally weaker anyway to make up for the fact that they have jump.

Also having a 1 galaxy jump cap means that we get rid of these pretty stupid 2 sector galaxies which are purely in place to burn peoples turns.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Page wrote:
Also having a 1 galaxy jump cap means that we get these pretty stupid 2 sector galaxies which are purely in place to burn peoples turns.
These galaxies should never be placed in the game again, its an obvious turn waste which has not worked before and is being proved not to work this game. However I do agree that a 1 gal cap should be in place, because I dont want people being able to jump from racials to planet gals and vice versa, even if they missed they would land in the gal they want to be in.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

JettJackson wrote:However I do agree that a 1 gal cap should be in place, because I dont want people being able to jump from racials to planet gals and vice versa, even if they missed they would land in the gal they want to be in.
They would be able to misjump into different gals, and jump ships are intentionally weaker on the assumption that they use less turns (which is actually only the case on certain map designs), one of the major aims in changing the formula is so that the map need not be balanced around the JD, so that there is no need to consider "fixes" like the 2 sector galaxies.
SpaceSock
Quiet One

Post by SpaceSock »

the standard one warp has always worked, why change that?
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

SpaceSock wrote:the standard one warp has always worked, why change that?
You could make that argument about many things, the current jump drive formula has always worked before, we could leave it the same with massive misses within the same galaxy.
The PSF had always worked before, we could have left it with the best defence and trade power of any ship.
Spamming CS had always worked before, why bother with auto refresh?
The message board had always worked before without the ability to delete posts, why add that?

Simply saying that something has been one way for a long time does not mean it has ever necessarily been a good thing, or even if it was once that it still is..

As it stands the power of the jump drive is basically completely dictated by the map design, so it goes from completely useless to incredibly strong depending on how the map is designed and placing unnecessary restrictions on map design. The change should make JD more consistent regardless of how the map is designed and adds more of a risk to jumping as you can misjump by a long distance and will regularly misjump by at least a few sectors.
SpaceSock
Quiet One

Post by SpaceSock »

Massive misses in the same galaxy was caused by intergal warps. I'm all for making the jump drive more consistant. Im against creating maps to just screw JD over. Jumping from 1 gal to the next is all JD needs imo.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Page wrote:
SpaceSock wrote:the standard one warp has always worked, why change that?
As it stands the power of the jump drive is basically completely dictated by the map design, so it goes from completely useless to incredibly strong depending on how the map is designed and placing unnecessary restrictions on map design. The change should make JD more consistent regardless of how the map is designed and adds more of a risk to jumping as you can misjump by a long distance and will regularly misjump by at least a few sectors.
Isn't this more of a problem of how some maps are made, (note my maps don't have this issue).
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

SpaceSock wrote:Massive misses in the same galaxy was caused by intergal warps. I'm all for making the jump drive more consistant. Im against creating maps to just screw JD over. Jumping from 1 gal to the next is all JD needs imo.
No, the massive misses had nothing to do with the intergal warps. There are 2 separate formulas for JD. 1 for intergal jumps and 1 for intragal jumps. There has just never been a galaxy as big as Strife to note how terrible the intragal jump formula is.
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

1 other comment (a bit late obviously to change for this new game), but the massive misjumps will most likely never happen (for players that know what they are doing). If I need to jump 40 turns away, I'll just do 2-3 separate jumps and my misjumps will always be very small and I can target them somewhere more safe.
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Well yes you can do that, it's just going back to doing essentially what you had to do before, in my mind it's a valid strategy to avoid crazy misjumps but it does require more work/time from the player so it has that trade off.