WHy are Custom CSS files bad or how to go around IG?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

WHy are Custom CSS files bad or how to go around IG?

Post by Infinity »

That's after a few shots.

Done with very little CSS.

Wanna make a better overriding system for this?
Last edited by Infinity on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Use The Force(s)!
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: WHy are Custom CSS files bad or how to go around IG?

Post by N.ator »

? cant see the image
ImageImage
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Am i the only one thinking there is more to this?

Cause without some context this really means nothing...
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Context?

This is how you diminish the IG, by enlarging the ship description on Examine screen. Often, fighting an IGd EoS one has no idea about their current defense, this way, letters are nice and large and attacker can quickly glance and know what to do.
Use The Force(s)!
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

You do know that anyone can increase the font size in the game without using custom css. So I don't know why this makes custom css files bad. All the content is there for anyone to view all that custom css files do is to allow you to view it your way. But again I can increase font size without having to do a custom css file.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Yes, I am aware of that... but increasing EVERYTHING and increasing just this is sorta different. This way, the game looks normal, there are no scrolls, the local map is normal, the pages are NOT LONGER, the continue attack button is not further etc etc. By just hitting Ctrl-+ or increasing font size in preferences the page will get distorted.

Its not about increasing text size, its about increasing specific text sizes or changing their colours in order to achieve advantage in combat.

ANyhow, Page said he cannot stop it and what not... so expect me to have a combat oriented CSS file.

Save half a second here, half a second there, and shooting becomes much faster, which I consider an advantage, and an unfair one.
Use The Force(s)!
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

For Firefox: http://coreygilmore.com/blog/2008/10/23 ... n-firefox/
For Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bekiogmbco

So you can already do custom css, it's just I built it into the game to make it easier for people to make and share their own custom css, potentially having it integrated into the game itself if they are good. I'm not sure it'd even be possible to detect if people were using custom css via these methods so there's no point trying to stop it - it'd be a losing battle. (Also all you are doing is making the information more visible, it's still available regardless if people actually look at it and can quickly decipher what it means)
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Last year I was working with variables in css. It looks like some of the browsers may add them as webkits, but you never know these days. Some people do not like that idea of having variables in css but I think it will save a lot of bandwidth. Just thought you may like to know whats coming down the pipe someday.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

While it could be perceived as an advantage, this option is available to everyone.

So it is up to the individual player to decide if they wish to have custom css.

Just my opinion.
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

RCK wrote:While it could be perceived as an advantage, this option is available to everyone.

So it is up to the individual player to decide if they wish to have custom css.

Just my opinion.
I agree. The info is there and anyone can see it and it is coded in the game so anyone can do it. I suppose it could be "fixed" fairly easily from a CSS perspective (generating random class IDs in the PHP and embedding the style for that random class in a style tag on the same page), but someone could feasibly write a script that would read the HTML output and adjust it to still be shown as big text. So it would offer an advantage to only those who had that skill set, instead of anyone who can read a 1 page description of how CSS works.
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau