Should I lead an opposing alliance to whales?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Naeblis
Quiet One

Re: Should I lead an opposing alliance to whales?

Post by Naeblis »

It didn't help matters that seldum screwed the pooch on leading TR and drove that faction to Orca or outright inactive.
Master of the lightenings, rider on the storm, wearer of a crown of swords, spinner-out of fate. Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time, may learn the truth too late.Galactic Vampire
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Hmmm, I might actually have to play if you lead Jester for old times sake ;)
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

200 players? Who on earth made you believe we have 200 players? We have 50 decently active ones and as Holti says: some play casual. 5 years ago I would have been the first to lead an opposition, even if it meant losing. But I don't have the time or priority anymore to play this game more than the 5 minutes that it takes to trade or kill an npc. I'm here for the interaction with people I played with for years and even that I don't want to spend too much time on.

Why would I want to oppose an alliance with people that have nothing better to do than be online all day? If that makes them happy, then by all means go ahead, but count me out.
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

I still think there is something that needs to be done about fed, i see people on all the time, but they never leave it. Or just walk one sector out and back in. Nobody ever goes out and does anything. It doesnt matter if there is two top teams or just 1, games always have one group in fed one group on rocks. We need to figure out fed, there has to be some way that folks are encouraged to leave fed before the activity woes will truly go away as right now we reward folks for playing when nobody else is on.
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

"We need to figure out fed, there has to be some way that folks are encouraged to leave fed before the activity woes will truly go away as right now we reward folks for playing when nobody else is on".

I've played Space Merchant since 1998. Not only was that always a way for a new or casual player to stay alive long enough to enjoy the game, that strategy is mentioned in the manual (and has been since 1998!). Keep in mind - you need time, money, etc., to build a planet strong enough to land on. IF no fed, where are people going to be safe? How are they going to make money if they are always in pods due to hunters that are on 20/24 hours a day? The problem is not fed. The problem is having most of the actives in one alliance.

You take away fed, players will just quit. Hell, look at how many vets have gone inactive and we still have fed ...
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

Again I wasnt suggesting taking it away, check my suggestion in the other forum to see my idea on it. But basically as the game sits, folks are rewarded(with safety) for not playing at the same time as others. That kinda defeats the purpose of a game. I was saying we need to figure out a way to make folks less interested in just parking in fed when other folks are on.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

the570z wrote:But basically as the game sits, folks are rewarded(with safety) for not playing at the same time as others. That kinda defeats the purpose of a game. I was saying we need to figure out a way to make folks less interested in just parking in fed when other folks are on.
So you are saying that if I play at 3am server time then everyone else should also and they should not be able to fed park while I play. Yelp that's going to make everyone real happy.
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

The main problem is everyone wants the game to be easy. They want 1bil in the bank and lvl 70s and safe routes and free kills. Once thats not there, they say the other side is ruining the game, and quits. Remember how active Azools map was. Then one side lost 26 ships in one op, and went inactive, then there was a reset. Then at the start of the reset, everyone was active again, but the tables had turned, and now the side that was winning before the reset was getting beat. BUT they didnt give up. They stuck it out, went through hard times, and started winning. Then the same side that went inactive before the reset, went inactive again. Same thing happened the round before azools map. One side was winning, the other side went inactive. Ive been back to SMR for every round since the draft round, and there is one common theme. There is a side of this player base that whenever they start losing, quits.

The problem isnt orca, or how him and sergie and some others are online all the time. Or how the rest of us are casual players.

Like I said jester, I am in. Im down for making another alliance, this round or next. I dont care who the players are in the alliance, as long as they arent whiny quitters. Between GIA and Haste, there has to be at least 10-15 people who like to compete in a PVP MMO called SMR, and want to try to take down the "super power".
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

This is were we insert:

"Jester (and crew), taking on the dominant alliance since 2002" :P

Sounds like a great slogan :P
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

Remember how active Azools map was. Then one side lost 26 ships in one op, and went inactive, then there was a reset. Then at the start of the reset, everyone was active again, but the tables had turned, and now the side that was winning before the reset was getting beat. BUT they didnt give up. They stuck it out, went through hard times, and started winning. Then the same side that went inactive before the reset, went inactive again. Same thing happened the round before azools map. One side was winning, the other side went inactive. Ive been back to SMR for every round since the draft round, and there is one common theme. There is a side of this player base that whenever they start losing, quits.
I love how GIA wasn't mentioned at all, despite the fact that 1. we were active (though inexperienced) in the first run of Azool's map, but did not quit. 2. we were active (including claiming alskant for ourselves) in the 2nd run of Azool's map and 3. the only non-whale alliance to have done more than one op this round, and continue to be active traders.