Should I lead an opposing alliance to whales?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Lence

Re: Should I lead an opposing alliance to whales?

Post by Lence »

Skype is kind of a generic resource *hore on systems. I might recommend you switch to something less intense for those with older systems/slower connections, etc. (plus skype = Microsoft = bad = no privacy soon = all skypes being recorded by microsoft)

Just a suggestion....was always a fan of ICQ for chat if not IRC. If you insist on voice there are several other less invasive applications out there. I have not looked at ICQ in years though, not sure if it has ever added voice, but I know most other generic less invasive IM applications have, such as even aol, yahoo, jabber, etc.

Just a suggestion though like I said, I try to steer people away from skype for basic usage for their own good (now more so than ever with its recent MS aqquisition) as I expect it to soon become a software landmine.
-Lence
I deal in pods
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

God ICQ might be worse... SO MANY SPAMMERS! :P
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

God ICQ might be worse... SO MANY SPAMMERS! :P
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

I hate Skype.

The 26 ship losing team didnt go inactive.
Use The Force(s)!
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

RCK punctuating his point with some double post spam I see..
Either way I agree with ICQ being much clunkier and feeling like it uses a lot more resources, whether it actually does or not I haven't checked. Skype is nice for group chats where you want people to be able to read the past logs. Also Lence, I've got a feeling Microsoft are probably a lot better for privacy than many a fairly small organisation because they get watched for these things. Although obviously they will likely have the US government on them to introduce backdoors to skype in order to allow "wiretapping", assuming of course that they haven't already got one into skype. Apart from that though I believe skype is inherently one of the more secure IM services due to its architecture, although I'm not an expert on all the various IM programs available so I could of course be wrong.
Lence

Post by Lence »

They have already stated their intent that (if i recall correctly) all Skype chats/videos will be recorded and archived on their servers.

Not a huge deal for most, agreed, but a move in a bad direction regardless. Plus I expect that change to cause even more resource use as the logs/records get siphoned off to their servers someplace.

Its one of those "we'll just hope no one pays attention/reads the TOS" things. Most end users won't care/know any better anyways...but like I said, just mentioning it more as an *awareness* thing.
-Lence
I deal in pods
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

May I ask where exactly they stated this intent?
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

who cares if skype is monitored by the fbi or not.. we would be using it to talk about A GAME! SPACE MERCHANT REALMS! if you want to kill obama then yes maybe go on something else then skype but honestly stop trying to persuade people to not use skype because honestly its not worth the time!
ImageImage
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

N.ator wrote:who cares if skype is monitored by the fbi or not.. we would be using it to talk about A GAME! SPACE MERCHANT REALMS! if you want to kill obama then yes maybe go on something else then skype but honestly stop trying to persuade people to not use skype because honestly its not worth the time!
I did NOT send this to the FBI.... ;)
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

We can us vent for big team ops, or *shudder* team speak. For small hunting operations, hunting buddies you might say, I will be using skype as I already use it in other realms. :P Of course I will continue using IRC, my room is #kaos, as it was before. Does that help? Also drop your alliances to join me asap (it's a 24 hour turn around UGH).