View of a Old Player.

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Butcher

View of a Old Player.

Post by Butcher »

Greetings. Some may remember me, some may not. I have played this game on and off since early 1998. I flew under a big variety of names. Captain Morgan, Mr. Bubbles, Serpent, Butcher are just a few. Over my career I played with most of the current active players in the same alliance at some time and definatly against all of them. Old players might remember me from Carnival of Souls or Yellow Moon and a wide variet of alliances inbetween. I see many familier names this round, that I remember over all of these years. I dont consider myself a great player, but i know the in's and outs of the game. And I definatly remember how SM/SMR was. Enough about me and my short intro.

Please dont take this thread as me bashing what SMR has become, It is not. But it is interesting to see how it has evolved over so many years. We have NPC traders now, intersting concept. I see lots of Top warship hunting now and the carapace and other ships used only for mining, not hunting. I remember years ago getting smoked by Trigek in a carapace....

It is amazing to see how SM/SMR evolved over all of the years. Especially with the player base. I see what used to number in the hundreds where alliance politics were needed to 40-60 players. On the other hand, I see some things have not changed. I see quite a bit of crying and pointing the fingers at others for runing the round..

So the point of this post is to see how dedicated the players are and where they want the game to go and their vision of how it will evolve more. Will it last another 10 years, or is it on its last leg with 40-60 players. Where do you want to see SMR go. Plans, suggestions. Are we actively recruiting new players? Are we training the new players so they can enjoy the game or are they taking their first pod and deciding to not log in again. What steps are we taking to keep our old vets active?

Thanks
Butcher/Morgan

PS. If you reply, no bashing each other. We all have a common goal, and all enjoy this game.
Holti
Quiet One

Re: View of a Old Player.

Post by Holti »

My alliance actively recruited new players the past two rounds, and some of my casual players also recruited friends to play. Some play for a couple of weeks and move on - which is normal for online browser games. Some stick with it, though do grow frustrated with being podded consistently (I nearly lost Cheebs this round for that reason - he was podded 3 times that I know of, despite Smokey (who recruited him) and others helping where we could). But though I follow Kouga's honor code (since he is my one and only mentor in this game) of not podding italics players, I realize that most do not. We give advice, last round had a bunch of tips for them - ultimately it's up to them whether they follow the advice.

AS for whether it will last another 10 years, hard to say. I would have told you that Monarchy wouldn't last two years past the implosion of Shareplay, yet it's still kicking. Their message boards, once extremely active, are pretty much a ghost town now. A number of us will continue to play, off and on, while the game lasts because it's a good game to kill some time before heading to work, during work breaks, and before we head to bed.