New Map Layout

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Kard
Beta Tester

Re: New Map Layout

Post by Kard »

Ya. Mines being nerfed is an issue. Probably a simple fix to it. Like make force combat 1v1. Only 1 person in combat with a stack at a time. Everyone has to trigger whichever stack they want to target, and only they are in combat with the mine. BUT i do agree that if you kill a stack, it shouldnt fire back. Making player vs force combat 1v1, would make them useful again, because everyone would have to use turns, and would take damage, making them uno. But, all those guys who are pests that solo clear really well and bother alliances, are unaffected.

Just a suggestion that came to mind.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Kard wrote:Ya. Mines being nerfed is an issue. Probably a simple fix to it. Like make force combat 1v1. Only 1 person in combat with a stack at a time. Everyone has to trigger whichever stack they want to target, and only they are in combat with the mine. BUT i do agree that if you kill a stack, it shouldnt fire back. Making player vs force combat 1v1, would make them useful again, because everyone would have to use turns, and would take damage, making them uno. But, all those guys who are pests that solo clear really well and bother alliances, are unaffected.

Just a suggestion that came to mind.
Firing solo on mines would be a start probably a middle ground answer. Flipping the way the mines hit would probably be the best option.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

The problem with having it be 1v1 against forces is that then it becomes better to bump into them rather than to actively attempt to clear them.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Page wrote:The problem with having it be 1v1 against forces is that then it becomes better to bump into them rather than to actively attempt to clear them.
Problem with that is what exactly?
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Jester- wrote:Blade have you played since recent mine changes? If you have 5 or so ships in sector you can fire on mines, kill them in one hit, all before they fire back on you. This means they DO NO DAMAGE. You can clear a whole sector with one person's turns and NEVER UNOING! It's a joke.

I've offered up various new ideas for defences of planet galaxies. However every single time I get told 'that would change the game to much'

Well guess what... we're down to <100 players because the game HASNT changed. There is no dynamics, no strategy... .

I cant even play more then once a week cause its so boring! Back and forth to trade ports.... sure I op'd occasionally round before last, which was fun, but day-to-day play lacks any kind of dynamic or interest.

Most the guys I used to play with feel the same, there is no depth to playing. SMR needs to get some diversity or it will continue to flounder until the ship finally sinks.

SMR NEEDS and injection of depth to continue survive and bring in new players. With no depth a new joins and goes 'what I just go to this port.. then back to that one? This is stupid"

I've seen it happen.. guys i tried to get into this game over the years all have said the same thing.. 'Its boring'
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Page wrote:The problem with having it be 1v1 against forces is that then it becomes better to bump into them rather than to actively attempt to clear them.
This isn't a problem though, many people have came forth stating as such that this is how it has to be for mines/building/planets to be effective.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

JettJackson wrote:
Blade wrote:The mines where never the problem...

Low player numbers, high turn rate and small maps were!
This is incorrect, sorry to say it. Many other people like playing often and actively. If you are ever going to retain newbs you cant have slow slow slow games. If you turned it down to 1 or 1.25 you'd have 50% of the game going Thevian then, which just proves the slow speed would be unbalanced compared to what people are used to.
No no, your wrong, you lot all like playing often new players nine times out of ten will not and certaintly not to the speed you play now, if they did where are the new players and why are they not staying? To them browser games are time fillers. Something between COD or a quick lunch time shoot.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Blade wrote:
JettJackson wrote:
Blade wrote:The mines where never the problem...

Low player numbers, high turn rate and small maps were!
This is incorrect, sorry to say it. Many other people like playing often and actively. If you are ever going to retain newbs you cant have slow slow slow games. If you turned it down to 1 or 1.25 you'd have 50% of the game going Thevian then, which just proves the slow speed would be unbalanced compared to what people are used to.
No no, your wrong, you lot all like playing often new players nine times out of ten will not and certaintly not to the speed you play now, if they did where are the new players and why are they not staying? To them browser games are time fillers. Something between COD or a quick lunch time shoot.
I see your point, but it's not completely accurate. Sure with young teenagers this could be the case, but i still play three other browser based games with very active player bases. In one of them all you do it click NEW FIGHT AND CAST SPELL. THAT IS ALL. Smr needs something to keep people around for more time. We need chances of luck injected to the game. Say you trade and get a bonus 2mil credits, or exp, or whatever. Something needs to give this game more addictive qualities.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Do you need to spend hours watching though to be a competitive say fighter?

In those browser games can you play say 1 hour daily and still be able to compete?

Do the games you play in a browser look like something that was about when Steinberg was writing about ET?

But point about the luck thing... yes that keeps people playing. SMR you get nothing special from trading, you get nothing special from planet building or exploring infact you gain the same from killing than you do from trading experience and credits. I will say the thing I said earlier diversity!

The game needs a new model, but a well thought through one not a rushed one we got last time. But that needs time and money.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

The game I play was coded and started around 2000. It is text based with no picture. There is consistently 100 players on throughout the day. The thing that draws people in is the ingame chat system, the luck at finding gems, items, character masteries and random gold drops on every fight.

I still like the idea of dynamic ports. Kind of like rillaspora, as well as a luck/reward system.

As it is now there is two ways to move forward with smr.

Turn it back to 1.0/1.25 turn rate and balance maps/planet galaxies so there is a point to strategy.

Boost turns even more, make it even harder and longer to get to and take planet galaxies. Put in rewards/luck based items for doing various actions. If you could win a permanent 50 shields to any ship by getting a lucky goal by visiting every bar would you do it? Stuff like that :P