New Map Layout

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: New Map Layout

Post by RCK »

Even in its prime... I dont remember 1,000 active users...

Active being the key word there.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

RCK wrote:Even in its prime... I dont remember 1,000 active users...

Active being the key word there.
Ok then lets consider how many actives we have now, maybe 40-60? My 10x number still counts and could potentially be higher than that.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

JettJackson wrote:You are talking about a time when there well over 1000 players, you could fall down and run into someone. So don't give me this notion that I don't know what I am talking about when you are basing your argument on a time when we had over 5x the players its is a flawed argument.
Just to be a stickler... you said 'over 1,000' not 10x :)
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

JettJackson wrote: but do you honestly think that a massive map and less turns would promote activity?
Think about it this way, with a larger map and less turns. This will allow other alliances the chance to build up the planet galaxy. As these planet galaxies are built the alliances will start parking in them and will go to war with other alliances.

With small galaxies and many turns, no alliance but the most active will have a chance of building a planet galaxy. So the game will start like any other game. Traders will start making money and will have to watch their turns this time. Scouts will find good planet galaxies to build and builders will start building.

Hunters will start hunting but will have to again watch their turns and will not be able to move throw a planet galaxy and still hunt in racial galaxy. As the planet galaxies and mine fields are build you will start seeing fleet fights then attacks on planets.

PS: I did want to state I don't think a MASSIVE map is a good idea, but a much larger one then we have been having is a most.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Freon22 wrote:
JettJackson wrote: but do you honestly think that a massive map and less turns would promote activity?
Think about it this way, with a larger map and less turns. This will allow other alliances the chance to build up the planet galaxy. As these planet galaxies are built the alliances will start parking in them and will go to war with other alliances.

With small galaxies and many turns, no alliance but the most active will have a chance of building a planet galaxy. So the game will start like any other game. Traders will start making money and will have to watch their turns this time. Scouts will find good planet galaxies to build and builders will start building.

Hunters will start hunting but will have to again watch their turns and will not be able to move throw a planet galaxy and still hunt in racial galaxy. As the planet galaxies and mine fields are build you will start seeing fleet fights then attacks on planets.

PS: I did want to state I don't think a MASSIVE map is a good idea, but a much larger one then we have been having is a most.
Logic 1

JJ 0 :P
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

I hardly think my map is massive... I wanted to make it twice as big but I know there would have been major JJ freak outs.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Jester- wrote:I hardly think my map is massive... I wanted to make it twice as big but I know there would have been major JJ freak outs.
Seems decent to me... speed 1.25, turn cap at 500 FTW
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

RCK wrote:
Jester- wrote:I hardly think my map is massive... I wanted to make it twice as big but I know there would have been major JJ freak outs.
Seems decent to me... speed 1.25, turn cap at 500 FTW
Except for the fact that it has already been discussed in many threads that 1.5 with a low turn cap like 500 or 550 is best suited for the map.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

I didn't say yours was although the idea that you wanted a 5000 sector map is beyond rediculous. What I did say was the notion of a 1.0 speed game with a large map with the current playerbase would be horrible, but you seem to draw your own conclusions. Oh and btw I am not the only one that thinks a large slow map would be a detriment to the game, the only reason it seems that way is because no one gives a damn to post on the web board, and so the same 5-10 people shuffle the :D back and forth on here.

Also I have yet to understand why some on here seem to need to put words in my mouth or tell me I don't know what I am talking about, that is not helpful and productive conversation. Maybe its best if some keep the :D slinging to a minimum.

Plus ignored in the fact of all of this is that because the mines are still broken the snowball effect that people can't recover as fast as others attack. In other words if mines were reconstructed back to their original attack style, I don't think there would be nearly the amount of discussion like there is currently.

Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

JettJackson wrote:
You are talking about a time when there well over 1000 players, you could fall down and run into someone. So don't give me this notion that I don't know what I am talking about when you are basing your argument on a time when we had over 5x the players its is a flawed argument.
Even at the highest peak of SM I use to hide in the middle of no where in dead ends or try and calculate a sector no one would possibly pass unless by accident and sleep there fully armed to save turns.

So no even big slow games had vast amounts of space and emptyness. But that was not a bad thing as it is a space race...not sim city.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly