New Map Layout

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: New Map Layout

Post by JettJackson »

Blade wrote:
JettJackson wrote:
You are talking about a time when there well over 1000 players, you could fall down and run into someone. So don't give me this notion that I don't know what I am talking about when you are basing your argument on a time when we had over 5x the players its is a flawed argument.
Even at the highest peak of SM I use to hide in the middle of no where in dead ends or try and calculate a sector no one would possibly pass unless by accident and sleep there fully armed to save turns.

So no even big slow games had vast amounts of space and emptyness. But that was not a bad thing as it is a space race...not sim city.
Yes but those maps were much much larger than Jester's map. Hell the map I started on had 4500 sectors. Plus back then 1.0 speed no one had the turns to go and look for anyone. Most people did what they could with extreme efficiency because they had no means to make a single mistake back then.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

No one had turns to look for anyone?

Those were the days of hunting, the days when hunting took thinking and cunning.

What on earth were you playing JJ?? Or are you just making a statement on assumption!?
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

JettJackson wrote:
Jester- wrote:I hardly think my map is massive... I wanted to make it twice as big but I know there would have been major JJ freak outs.
I didn't say yours was although the idea that you wanted a 5000 sector map is beyond rediculous. What I did say was the notion of a 1.0 speed game with a large map with the current playerbase would be horrible, but you seem to draw your own conclusions. Oh and btw I am not the only one that thinks a large slow map would be a detriment to the game, the only reason it seems that way is because no one gives a damn to post on the web board, and so the same 5-10 people shuffle the :D back and forth on here.

Also I have yet to understand why some on here seem to need to put words in my mouth or tell me I don't know what I am talking about, that is not helpful and productive conversation. Maybe its best if some keep the :D slinging to a minimum.

Plus ignored in the fact of all of this is that because the mines are still broken the snowball effect that people can't recover as fast as others attack. In other words if mines were reconstructed back to their original attack style, I don't think there would be nearly the amount of discussion like there is currently.
First off, if you are not the only one against the larger map and slower speed then they obviously don't care enough to comment.

We don't put words into your mouth, you are more than capable of doing that yourself. We are just showing you how off base you are on a very large portion of your assumptions.

Mines, even restored to the way they were 4 rounds ago will be more effective in a slower map, even the current mines will be more effective in a slower speed game, this has been stated on the webboards by myself and others REPEATEDLY. Even if the mines were restored to SM days, we would still be having this convo because the game was designed for 1.0 speed and balanced for it, not 1.5, 1.75, 2.0, 1.66, etc.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Blade wrote:No one had turns to look for anyone?

Those were the days of hunting, the days when hunting took thinking and cunning.

What on earth were you playing JJ?? Or are you just making a statement on assumption!?

x4
Grey Death
Anonymous Roman General
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

JettJackson wrote:
RCK wrote:
Jester- wrote:I hardly think my map is massive... I wanted to make it twice as big but I know there would have been major JJ freak outs.
Seems decent to me... speed 1.25, turn cap at 500 FTW
Except for the fact that it has already been discussed in many threads that 1.5 with a low turn cap like 500 or 550 is best suited for the map.
Just to clarify: it has been discussed in many threads that several of us are willing to COMPROMISE to a 1.5 game speed with a 500 or 550 turn cap. Jester, RCK, and I would be more happy with a 1.25 game speed or even 1.0 but again we are willing to compromise. None of that is stating that it is best suited for 1.5, now who is putting words in someone's mouth?
Grey Death
Anonymous Roman General
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

The responses to this topic need to be combined with responses in Jester's map post...