New Map Layout

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: New Map Layout

Post by JettJackson »

RCK wrote:Well wr could run multiple games at once but p
pl complain about that to....
Nice typing my friend.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

JettJackson wrote:
Nice typing my friend.
"drunk"
ImageImage
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

N.ator wrote:
JettJackson wrote:
Nice typing my friend.
"drunk"
Cellphone...
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

So what's your excuse on IRC? :P
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Page wrote:So what's your excuse on IRC? :P
Have to think on that one....
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

as me and my friends always say, DRUUUUUUUUUNK ("pointing at him")
ImageImage
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

I didn't want to make a new thread about this. Hopefully someone reads this.

This map really does not promote planet building or usage. The most active/vet alliance is just waiting for one of the smaller alliances with actual newbies (as in never even heard of SMR before) to claim a galaxy, build it to level 20 or so and take over. This is all fairly normal I suppose (but not right to promote good game play). The problem is the galaxies are way to easy to take. The galaxy is to compact and there is no exit strategy within these galaxies. One exit, in a super compact map is alliance suicide to claim a planet galaxy, spend hundreds of millions on ships and mines, time and turns on building just to have them wiped out in one night of bloodbath vet slaughtering.

I propose we build a more robust galaxy. This way vets can't just scout you within a few turns, get easy fed reports, find out what galaxy you are in before you have a chance to build. If you can't even get planets to level 5 before the enemy finds you, you have no chance at claiming a galaxy against a more skilled and active opponent. IE: There is no real strategy in SMR anymore. Only activity wins the game. This is not right.
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

The most active/vet alliance is just waiting for one of the smaller alliances with actual newbies (as in never even heard of SMR before) to claim a galaxy, build it to level 20 or so and take over
They're not even doing that, Jester. the active vet alliance has a player (yes, solo from what I can see in the combat reports) that scans every planet every other day or so, and immediately takes back all planets. My alliance has been trying to build three planets (we don't even aim to take an entire planet galaxy) for almost a week now, only to see them taken back within a day or two.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Jester- wrote:I didn't want to make a new thread about this. Hopefully someone reads this.

This map really does not promote planet building or usage. The most active/vet alliance is just waiting for one of the smaller alliances with actual newbies (as in never even heard of SMR before) to claim a galaxy, build it to level 20 or so and take over. This is all fairly normal I suppose (but not right to promote good game play). The problem is the galaxies are way to easy to take. The galaxy is to compact and there is no exit strategy within these galaxies. One exit, in a super compact map is alliance suicide to claim a planet galaxy, spend hundreds of millions on ships and mines, time and turns on building just to have them wiped out in one night of bloodbath vet slaughtering.

I propose we build a more robust galaxy. This way vets can't just scout you within a few turns, get easy fed reports, find out what galaxy you are in before you have a chance to build. If you can't even get planets to level 5 before the enemy finds you, you have no chance at claiming a galaxy against a more skilled and active opponent. IE: There is no real strategy in SMR anymore. Only activity wins the game. This is not right.
I'm looking into options for the next round.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Yeah Holti. They started actively taking Phoenix now. Several mines around and some planets at lvl 1. i don't think they're going to commit though.

I asked them about it, and they see nothing wrong waiting for a smaller alliance to build up planets while they sit in fed and hunt newbies. Then they come and take all said small alliance planets as their own.

As this could be a good tactic for a fully grown player base, it's debilitating to a small one like today's. We need bigger maps, bigger nuetrals with planets (not planet galaxies). Make it impossible to check every planet even every three days. We need space to grow.