New Map Layout

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Page
SMR Coder

Re: New Map Layout

Post by Page »

JettJackson wrote:Did you look at the numbers, 3 of those 6 games Thevian had the most players and you have to also remember this was BEFORE we jumped up to 1.5 1.75 speeds. If you were to do it now I would guarantee the numbers would skew even more so in the favor of Thevian with WQ probably coming in second is its the 2nd fastest race.
Yes, this is true, if you look back to the games in 2003, but they were barely more popular even then.
If you look at Fall Ball which is more recent then Thevian had significantly lower than average numbers and in Colonial conquest again had lower than average, so I would guess the 2003 numbers are related to Thevian being more popular back then for other reasons, rather than any particular overpowering effect of their ship speeds.

If you look to the more recent games with the high speed then Thevian often have a lot less players, sometimes very significantly less, perhaps this is an indication that actually a lower speed is in fact necessary in order to make Thevian a balanced choice in comparison to other races since the high game speeds make them underpowered in comparison.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Page wrote:
JettJackson wrote:Did you look at the numbers, 3 of those 6 games Thevian had the most players and you have to also remember this was BEFORE we jumped up to 1.5 1.75 speeds. If you were to do it now I would guarantee the numbers would skew even more so in the favor of Thevian with WQ probably coming in second is its the 2nd fastest race.
Yes, this is true, if you look back to the games in 2003, but they were barely more popular even then.
If you look at Fall Ball which is more recent then Thevian had significantly lower than average numbers and in Colonial conquest again had lower than average, so I would guess the 2003 numbers are related to Thevian being more popular back then for other reasons, rather than any particular overpowering effect of their ship speeds.

If you look to the more recent games with the high speed then Thevian often have a lot less players, sometimes very significantly less, perhaps this is an indication that actually a lower speed is in fact necessary in order to make Thevian a balanced choice in comparison to other races since the high game speeds make them underpowered in comparison.
Back in 2003 the game hadn't had a game of speed that is near what it is currently and even then you had Thevians being the top race for players or near the top every game and this was when people weren't used to the speeds they are now. Honestly if its this big of a deal why not poll the game and see what speed people like, I would bet the house it wont be anything <1.5 speed. Just because a select couple of people here think that slow is better doesn't mean the entire playerbase will follow suit.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Hobbs
Quiet One

Post by Hobbs »

JettJackson wrote:Just because a select couple of people here think that slow is better doesn't mean the entire playerbase will follow suit.
JJ, just because the members of your alliance all like having small galaxies with too many turns doesn't mean other players benefit from it. I would bet that my play style wouldn't change significantly from a 1.75 to 1.5 or even 1.25 game speed, while high activity players would have to be more selective about when to move.
What part of lockbox do you not understand!?
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

JettJackson wrote:
RCK wrote:I had page dig up the racial stats for some past games at 1.0, 1.25 speeds.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... mYmc#gid=0

Based on these results, JJ your statements of large #'s of Thevians now has evidence to DISPROVE your statements completely. There is no large percentage of thevians in any of these rounds.
Did you look at the numbers, 3 of those 6 games Thevian had the most players and you have to also remember this was BEFORE we jumped up to 1.5 1.75 speeds. If you were to do it now I would guarantee the numbers would skew even more so in the favor of Thevian with WQ probably coming in second is its the 2nd fastest race.
Just because Thevian had higher player numbers does not make it significant. I am still waiting for your list of examples of when it was experimented with a 1.0 game speed where half the player base went Thevian cause they wanted the speed over everything else. Reviewing the list of games, I only see three 1.0 game speed rounds since 2003. You have only had the chance to play in two of them. Actually let's discuss the fact that if you started 7 yrs ago, the games were predominately 1.25 and 1.5 game speeds, must have been just fine back then because you are still addicted today so why the large emphasis on 1.75 or faster?

You need to keep in mind that this game was created and balanced for 1.0 speed. A DC at 1.0 speed works far differently than it does at 1.75 in a very small universe. Thevian's advantage was always their speed and was there for those people that craved the turns so much, giving everyone such a high game speed eliminates a large basis for the Thev race, maybe we should just delete that race?
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Grey Death wrote: Just because Thevian had higher player numbers does not make it significant. I am still waiting for your list of examples of when it was experimented with a 1.0 game speed where half the player base went Thevian cause they wanted the speed over everything else. Reviewing the list of games, I only see three 1.0 game speed rounds since 2003. You have only had the chance to play in two of them. Actually let's discuss the fact that if you started 7 yrs ago, the games were predominately 1.25 and 1.5 game speeds, must have been just fine back then because you are still addicted today so why the large emphasis on 1.75 or faster?

You need to keep in mind that this game was created and balanced for 1.0 speed. A DC at 1.0 speed works far differently than it does at 1.75 in a very small universe. Thevian's advantage was always their speed and was there for those people that craved the turns so much, giving everyone such a high game speed eliminates a large basis for the Thev race, maybe we should just delete that race?
There aren't any examples except one game where Blade made a map that was 1.0 speed and there was a massive outcry to get it changed which ended up happening after 2-3 days into the game, beyond that there hasn't been a 1.0 speed game in almost 8 years. Once again comparing 7 years ago to now with respect to speed is silly, there was also about 4-5 times the amount of players. And lastly I said 1.5 speed is fine, last game was 1.5 speed, but anything lower than that would be too slow, especially for a 2600 sector map like the one proposed for next game. The last time we had a map > 2000 sectors was Decennial Resurgence and it was a 1.75 speed map and even then turns were at a premium. As for the baiting about Thevian lets try and be rational here instead of coming up with ridiculous notions of deleting a race. I understand you come from way back in the day and you barely have time to play now, but not everyone follows that suit. That would be like asking everyone to play on dialup because we have a few players who still use it. The extreme value cases really shouldn't hold water in a discussion looking for compromise.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

JettJackson wrote:
Grey Death wrote: lol
JJ please stop talking about game mechanics. It is clear you do not understand them. The game was DESIGNED for 1.0 game speed. We used much bigger galaxies than this when it was 1.0 and it was FUN. You're taking chess and turning it into checkers. I do not want to play checkers and if it continues this way I'm not alone in saying I'll find a new game of chess.

I need a man's thinking game, not another xbox 360 click faster game.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Thinking scares some ppl ;)
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Jester- wrote:
JettJackson wrote:
Grey Death wrote: lol
JJ please stop talking about game mechanics. It is clear you do not understand them. The game was DESIGNED for 1.0 game speed. We used much bigger galaxies than this when it was 1.0 and it was FUN. You're taking chess and turning it into checkers. I do not want to play checkers and if it continues this way I'm not alone in saying I'll find a new game of chess.

I need a man's thinking game, not another xbox 360 click faster game.
You are talking about a time when there well over 1000 players, you could fall down and run into someone. So don't give me this notion that I don't know what I am talking about when you are basing your argument on a time when we had over 5x the players its is a flawed argument.

Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

So you're answer is more turns and super small galaxy. I see how that has worked out. Lets do it a few more times and see what happens. Good planning.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Jester- wrote:So you're answer is more turns and super small galaxy. I see how that has worked out. Lets do it a few more times and see what happens. Good planning.
I have already said countless times I have made an error when making this map, but do you honestly think that a massive map and less turns would promote activity? I mean you are on the opposite end of the spectrum here, and futhermore I have already stated the answer lies in the middle but you choose to ignore that comment.