Unbalance

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Page
SMR Coder

Re: Unbalance

Post by Page »

Kard wrote:
Page wrote:The turn cap is already separate from the game speed, it has been for quite a long time now.
Maybe my memory isnt what it use to be with this old age(26) but i remember any game speed of 1 use to be 400 turns or 450 turns or something like that. not 700.
How would that stop it being separate? The default in the uni gen page is 450, however the map maker is able to set the cap to whatever value they wish.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Blade, I first made a Suggestion back in May 2005. At that time it was for Vets attacking Newbies and that was the only place that a Attack delay would be used. It never was tested or tried! At that time we had an unbalance in players connection speed and I seen where some Vets with fast connections were praying on Newbie players for their kills. Now even the Newbies that come into the game has connection speed close to everyone else.

So at that time I think it would have saved SMR many new players from quiting, but it doesn't hold true today. After re-reading this thread I think the fault is the person that makes the map. It is also the Admin, MrSpock, and Page fault for allowing them to make maps so unbalanced. If you people know that fast turn rate with max 700 turns and small galaxies is unbalancing then don't you think you should do something about it?

The maps now adays are made to push everyone into a small area. Hunters cry that they don't want to have to move very far to get their kills, they want to login and kills something. Hey I can kill something fast like that on my XboX why not on SMR. I don't have a good suggestion for fixing this unbalance but I do think that the Admin, Spock, and Page should start trying address it.

It would be cool if a newbie that was trading in a racial galaxy and was good not evil. That if a hunter attacked him the feds would send out 2 or 3 of those auto ships to attack the hunter. Would be funny to see a hunter going in for the kill and ended up being killed. lol
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

Freon22 wrote:Blade, I first made a Suggestion back in May 2005. At that time it was for Vets attacking Newbies and that was the only place that a Attack delay would be used. It never was tested or tried! At that time we had an unbalance in players connection speed and I seen where some Vets with fast connections were praying on Newbie players for their kills. Now even the Newbies that come into the game has connection speed close to everyone else.

So at that time I think it would have saved SMR many new players from quiting, but it doesn't hold true today. After re-reading this thread I think the fault is the person that makes the map. It is also the Admin, MrSpock, and Page fault for allowing them to make maps so unbalanced. If you people know that fast turn rate with max 700 turns and small galaxies is unbalancing then don't you think you should do something about it?

The maps now adays are made to push everyone into a small area. Hunters cry that they don't want to have to move very far to get their kills, they want to login and kills something. Hey I can kill something fast like that on my XboX why not on SMR. I don't have a good suggestion for fixing this unbalance but I do think that the Admin, Spock, and Page should start trying address it.

It would be cool if a newbie that was trading in a racial galaxy and was good not evil. That if a hunter attacked him the feds would send out 2 or 3 of those auto ships to attack the hunter. Would be funny to see a hunter going in for the kill and ended up being killed. lol

we had a really good map, in azools map. It cost hella turns to get from racials to planet gals. All the good routes were near planets, and weapon setups. It promoted planet use. THEN we went right back to generic 1x1 planet gals(exageration) linked to a neutral which is linked to racials, and it taks 50 turns to get across the map and back. Need more azool like maps.
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

Page wrote:
Kard wrote:
Page wrote:The turn cap is already separate from the game speed, it has been for quite a long time now.
Maybe my memory isnt what it use to be with this old age(26) but i remember any game speed of 1 use to be 400 turns or 450 turns or something like that. not 700.
How would that stop it being separate? The default in the uni gen page is 450, however the map maker is able to set the cap to whatever value they wish.
how does that have anything to do with my point.

Wether its seperate or not, the turn cap is 700 with these faster rounds. It probably should be closer to 400 like before.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

The point was that they are separate so can be set to whatever, you just decided to try and dispute the fact they are separate.. Anyway, the problem with dropping the turn cap too much with the game speed remaining high is that currently even a base 6 speed ship gets 252 turns/day, meaning it takes basically no time before hitting the cap, heck if you hit max turns in a 6 speed in under 2 days (assuming the 400 cap - that's what base used to be) then it's just insane.

The other thing that used to happen would be you would have multiple ~30 player alliances, so whichever alliance was doing an op would often have extra people show up to supplement to total turn count throughout the op, that doesn't happen so much now, such that a cap of 400 would be just too low (heck, it's been a very long time since a game was slower than 1.25, so in practical terms the cap has not dipped below 500 in a very long time).

Basically the point of the cap being separate was to mean the cap could stay closer to the 600-650 mark even if the game speed did go up but that turn cap has been creeping up since it was first implemented.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

you were able to go through and pick out all the lucky ones
Umm, as usual you assume and then you're wrong. No, those are all the logs that I have. I am not in his alliance.

Get your facts straight for once, Kard, before rampaging.
Use The Force(s)!
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Keep the hostility to a minimum please.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Anyone remember the Interregnum map in SM? It was a very big map. I think we should do something like that, albeit maybe scaled down to 1/2. That was a very original map that promoted strategy and not mindless hitting attack button.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Jester- wrote:Anyone remember the Interregnum map in SM? It was a very big map. I think we should do something like that, albeit maybe scaled down to 1/2. That was a very original map that promoted strategy and not mindless hitting attack button.
Every time I recommended copying old maps I got told they were "to big"....
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

Infinity wrote:
you were able to go through and pick out all the lucky ones
Umm, as usual you assume and then you're wrong. No, those are all the logs that I have. I am not in his alliance.

Get your facts straight for once, Kard, before rampaging.
"its like he has added accuracy just for him" - Infinity

No, get your facts straight. You just blantantly called someone a cheater because you have some of his logs that show him shooting better then normal.

I have logs where he shot me, and he shot below normal.

Unless you have all his logs, and a very large number of them, are him over shooting targets, then dont point the cheat finger. Its not nice.